Is this a queen cell?

Default Is this a queen cell?

We had crazy weather over the last 2 weeks - first rainy then very windy, so was not able to inspect the hive until yesterday. I found these yesterday. Being it's my first year, I was not sure if it was a queen cell or not. Are these queen/drone cells and is there any advise on what I should do? Thanks everyone!
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Is this a queen cell?

Yes those are large and beautiful emergency cells though the one on the right appears damaged--and they are fragile. I would bet your hive is queenless by the look of that frame. In any case I would let them be as they are probably a faster way to a new queen than finding one to order and waiting for it. If you do have a queen, the bees must think she needs replaced. Both can often live together so that can be an advantage. Good luck and it is best to stay out for a couple weeks so she can emerge, harden and mate and eventually start laying. Then when you find eggs stay out for another ten days until she is well established. Basically stay out for three weeks. Good luck.

Thank you! I will leave the bees alone for a while then.

Yes they are queen cells. Looks like one has already hatched. The real thing you need to worry about is that other brood. Sick and diseased big time. Anything with caps that look like that are bound to be shot.... If not on the verge of being dead.

As for the cause I will let others chime in. I'm pretty sure I know a few possible causes. As my biggest post yesterday on a similar issue was deleted I'm not wasting my time if they are going to be trash canned anyways. Good luck.

Thanks for the reply - It's my first time beekeeping, and have had this hive for around 6 weeks. I have been worried because the hive itself does not look like the other hive pics I've seen posted. I did see a handful of small hive beetles (but only 3 of them at last inspection) so I don't believe I have a SHB infestation. Still, the hive itself does ntt look healthy to me. I wonder if it was a sick / old queen I had and hence the spotty brood and now the new queen cells.