Today in the Apiary - Page 63
Page 63 of 115 FirstFirst ... 1353616263646573113 ... LastLast
Results 1,241 to 1,260 of 2299

Default Re: Today in the Apiary

The Dink hive has lost its queen again. That's four this summer, for various reasons. Sorry looking lot ... cutting our losses on them. Curiously, they don't seem to be getting robbed out.

The strong hive put on another 5 pounds this week. They're doing this all with forage. They've had more flow in what should be the dearth than they had during what should have been the flow. They're at 150 pounds now. We harvested about 25 lbs from them in July, and we're contemplating stealing a couple more frames. They continue to selectively purge drones, but still have them.

The two indoor nucs hold our breeder queens. We checked the newer queen and she has not geared down for winter yet ... brood all over the place. That nuc has also put away enough stores for winter, although with some feeding. The other nuc has a solid medium of capped honey already and is working on a second, and was also full of brood at last check. Neither nuc has been seen molesting their drones yet.

We have another strong hive and one that's so-so but appears to be recovering after a brood shutdown during the unseasonal June dearth.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

that'll do it too

Goldenrod is coming in strong. Looking at some of my nucs, they are drawing comb and packing it in the brood nests too. I am a bit concerned about late swarming, but also found some drones that were kicked out and hanging outside at sunset today. I am hopeful that swarming isn't a risk anymore. It's looking like the fall flow may fill them up well for winter.

Massive orientation flights all at once from 3 colonies, I looked out the window and thought there was a swarm happening.

100_0292.jpg 100_0295.jpg 100_0287.jpg

100_0283.jpg 100_0298.jpgPics don't do justice.

https://youtu.be/6nDB-7f2v5s
    Last edited by DavidZ; 09-21-2016 at 09:54 PM.

Confirmed my one NUC was queenless, got a new one from Meadowview Beekeeping. Second NUC is doing well, building up nicely. Bees are bringing in a lot of goldenrod.

This garden spider thought he was in heaven. I relocated him. I actually appreciate spiders in my garden, just not webbing up the entrances of the hives.

IMG_2381.jpg
    USDA zone 6a

We have one of those gorgeous yellow and black "writing spiders" near one hive. She's conspicuously corpulent, and had a honeybee wrapped up in spider silk in front of her when we saw her last.

I'm sure we manage to crush more than she eats.

We weighed the hives yesterday. The queenless dink lost 16 pounds since last weekend. Hive O, the largest hive, right next door to the dink, gained 15. What a curious coincidence!

Saaaaay, you don't suspect any bee skullduggery, do you?

The wingstem that was a good forage source last weekend is all but gone this weekend. It has been very dry. The asters in the flower beds we have been watering are being worked by the bees as if they are the last flowers on the mountain, which they may be. So the fact that the dink was not already robbed out last weekend may simply be due to abundant forage.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoebee View Post
    We weighed the hives yesterday. The queenless dink lost 16 pounds since last weekend. Hive O, the largest hive, right next door to the dink, gained 15. What a curious coincidence!
    Good one!

Getting the hives ready to overwinter as we are in the early Autumn officially.
    Even out the bees in the hives and ready to put in some sugar bricks. Hoping that
    the last virgin from the last graft batch will get mated. If not I'll just do a combine.
    Looking good so far for the hive stores.
    Don't mix foreign bees into a virgin hive. She might get balled 100% of the time! When will you ever learn, huh?

Finished today by requeening two hives with nucs. 7pm. Fooooooooood.

Queen was released and is laying nicely. All hives are bringing in lots of golden rod.

Got some weird stuff going in the hive. GR is in full swing but there's no vinegar smell. Something chalky and grape smelling in there. Got lots of black eyed susans (or some similar looking wildflower) in a second bloom. They have red pollen but I'm getting a lot of grey or white pollen going in. Wonder if it's causing the grape smell. A cold front has my area in a nice chill for the next week or so. Perfect timing for me to get some MAQS in! 53 F lowest temp so far, 85 F highest, about 55-75 most days. What a break from mid 90s! Wish I could pull some frames to look for the smell source when those strips go in but the next inspection is at least 7 days from tomorrow. This new beek can learn to wait
    5 lang hives with Italian X queens
    Pre-Veterinary student at Uni of Arkansas

The temperature was locked in at 54 F most of the weekend, with constant drizzle except when it was raining hard. We needed the rain but the forage is about spent, and two weeks ago would have been better. We still have asters but they are a soggy mess at the moment. The bees thought this was a good weekend for inside chores.

We took apart the hive robbed out last weekend. There were all of two bees in it, probably just scavenging. That hive has been kept going almost exclusively with brood donations much of the summer, so the remaining workers simply reached the end of their natural lives.

Bee Culture just had something about treatment with Fumagillin helping "dink" hives that repeatedly lose queens. It may be there are nosema spores in the comb, and they can be either frozen or sun treated (sorry, N Apis is one, N Cerana is other other, and I can't remember which is which!) It is probably worth getting the bees in that hive tested for Nosema spores before you treat, but definitely worth noting on the hive boxes that it is "suspect". As far as checking for Nosema spores, if you are not equipped yourself to do so, keep in mind that any college with a biology dept will likely be able to help with checking - the preparation is so easy, and the spores so easy to identify, that it is pretty doable for someone comfortable with a microscope no matter their area of expertise.

I waited too late. There were no bees left in there to send in. We'd send them to Beltsville, just the other side of DC from us.

I have suspected Nosema cerana in a previous failure. I had originally not thought so due to the lack of dysentery stains, but that's apparently not a symptom with cerana. What caught my attention in later reading up on cerana was that the earlier hive was apathetic. The dink that just failed never struck me that way. But their brood, when they even had any, did not look good. Spotty, off-color larvae, pinholes in caps, that sort of mess.

I have good inspection and high power microscopes, but my first time looking for spores I'd rather send them off and inspect some myself. I'm told there are always spores present, and they have to be counted to make a meaningful determination.

Whatever their problem, the we have two very strong hives and two very strong nucs. We had one more hive on hand than we really wanted, so we decided to let this poor performer go. Maybe its our prejudice after they killed the queen we raised for them, but sometimes you just have to say "enough is enough."
    Last edited by Barry; 02-13-2017 at 09:03 AM.

Checked hives yesterday, the new queen is laying well. 3 Hives have good weight. 1 is a goner but I was expecting it, laying worker hive that I tried adding frames of broods to.

Checked hives yesterday, the new queen is laying well. 3 Hives have good weight. 1 is a goner but I was expecting it, laying worker hive that I tried adding frames of broods to. Watched a couple drones get evicted.
    Last edited by EvilZeg; 10-07-2016 at 09:53 AM.

I visited a beekeeper who lives in the swiss alps.
    We saw this colony which bred through summer and now hangs in cluster.
    He will take them and feed them, try to overwinter them.

freihängender Wabenbau.jpg

We're in the middle of an abnormally early snow fall.

P1010380.jpg
    Zone 3b. If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got!

Page 63 of 115 FirstFirst ... 1353616263646573113 ... LastLast