Today in the Apiary - Page 5
Page 5 of 118 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast

Default Re: Today in the Apiary

Made up group 2 mating nucs (138) in the pouring rain. Fun, fun, fun.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

At twilight the bees were busily trying to cool everything off two days ago and, yesterday at dawn they were still at it. We had record breaking temps so decided to pull the inspection board in the evening to see if that would help get a better breeze flowing through the hive and, it did. Tonight I had my face inches away from the entrance trying to peer in (I like watching them) when I felt a brief warm sweet breeze from a lone bee giving it her all trying to cool the hive.

The grass is 12" tall, again. It's been too wet to mow. They are forecasting rain through the weekend.

One very strong hive was bearding recently, no doubt because they had plugged off the upper entrance, and most of the lower - with propolis. I slid the super back 3/4", and goo-ed an entrance reducer (large opening) across the gap with the new golf ball of propolis. They settled right back in within an hour.
    Last edited by Colobee; 06-10-2015 at 12:01 PM.
    After 40 years of beekeeping, I've come to realize that the bees can fix most of my mistakes.

Had a friend visit me in the beeyard. A large dragonfly holding a honeybee it had just caught landed on her arm. The honey proceeded to sting her before the dragonfly flew off with its meal.
    Adam - Zone 5A
    www.adamshoney.com

I had bought a couple of camp chairs for the bee yard, and yesterday, I wandered up there and just sat, doing nothing. It was hot, windy, overcast, with a touch of rain in the air. The tall trees were whipping around like crazy, but there was only a nice breeze on the ground. Nice for bees, if they ever get here. I'd been sitting there for a while, contemplating my empty hives, when I looked around in time to see a big old coon crossing the yard, not too far away. "Hello," I said. I surprised the daylights out of him, because he sat up on his hind legs, had a quick look, said "OMG!!" and double timed off into the bush.
    I had just cleared the undergrowth out last fall, leaving Pine and Birch to grow, and it looks as if the whole area will be covered with Goldenrod come August. It's a foot high, now, and growing well. I thought about how stuff like Goldenrod and dandelions were considered weeds before beekeeping, and are now thought of as forage. If I'm not careful, these little critters will change the way I think about everything.

i'm seeing bearding at the entrance on one of my stronger hives today for the first time this season indicating that our spring flow is winding down and we are about to enter into our summer dearth.
    journaling the growth of a (mite) treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

Quote Originally Posted by Tenbears View Post
    Today Is a very special in my Apiary, My out yards and my life! 50 years ago today I received my first nuc from my scout master, Mr. George Ackinclouse (A great Man, Beekeeper and leader) To earn my Bee keeping Merit badge. As I worked toward the requirement for Eagle Scout. I became so enthralled with them, I have had them ever since. Sometimes few sometimes many. Always a journey!
    This is awesome. I was sad last year when they removed the beekeeping merit badge.

My oldest son is a life scout, getting ready to work on his eagle project.

The two nucs I made up from the remnants of a failed package (and some Buckfast donor eggs) are in full bloom - 2-3 mediums full of brood & beautiful evenly capped (worker) brood in each. I didn't look too hard for the queens (saw neither), their handiwork was obvious.

Our main flow is coming on strong. If they'd just stop mowing down all the yellow clover and the sun would come back out!!!

Edit: The birds or the bees have managed to encourage a nice alfalfa plot off the end of the drive. The sun came out briefly and I found the patch popping. Then it clouded up and poured buckets. We're likely to get a banner flow once the rain lets up.
    Last edited by Colobee; 06-10-2015 at 09:35 PM.
    After 40 years of beekeeping, I've come to realize that the bees can fix most of my mistakes.

Planned on checking my hive today, but woke up to rain instead.

Last night at sunset, Wife and I were standing in front of five hives commenting on how strong the 'sweet smell' was coming from them, looked up as we were preparing to go home and there was a swarm 50' feet away in an oak tree. Hived the 5 lb. swarm this morning. Not sure they are even my bees. I am wondering if an apiary attracts wondering swarms This is the second like it this year. The flow is on and everything is getting full fast now that the rain has stopped and the heat is on in Missouri. It seems we are entering a second swarm season. First one came early, then it rained, and rained, and rained....now we're good for a while.

Did some "drive by" beekeeping. Hives all looked good at the entrances.
    http://OxaVap.com Your source for the ProVap 110
    OA Vaporizer. The fastest vaporizer on the market!

Today I just sat out in my folding camp chair that is near my first hive location and watched the bees . This is so freakin' cool , the air is full of bees , all 4 hives are foraging well now . I've gotta get off my duff and get that hive weighing tool built , it's a much easier way to see if they're gaining or losing stores . I was surprised at the small percentage of bees bringing in pollen , about 1 in 15 or 20 . But when I saw just how many bees are out there foraging I realized it's actually quite a lot .
    Did a quicky inspection on Sunday , all queens are laying up a storm and all seem to have a good pattern . Time to kick back and let them do their bee thing .
    Retired wannabee Hillbilly Farmer in backwoods Arkansas
    Our biggest crop is rocks ...

Quote Originally Posted by Terry C View Post
    Today I just sat out in my folding camp chair that is near my first hive location and watched the bees . This is so freakin' cool , the air is full of bees , all 4 hives are foraging well now . I've gotta get off my duff and get that hive weighing tool built , it's a much easier way to see if they're gaining or losing stores . I was surprised at the small percentage of bees bringing in pollen , about 1 in 15 or 20 . But when I saw just how many bees are out there foraging I realized it's actually quite a lot .
    Did a quicky inspection on Sunday , all queens are laying up a storm and all seem to have a good pattern . Time to kick back and let them do their bee thing .
    Hi Terry
    Just watched a vid of Michael Palmer weighing hives. He puts a bathroom scale on a piece of plywood, then when everything is still stuck together, he tips the whole thing up on a corner and slides the scale under the other side. He then tips it up onto the scale and balances it on the corner. Reads the weight, puts it back, done.

Hi gnor ! I'm afraid that won't work with my set up , my stands are all open under the hive . What I have is a dial type spring scale with a 110 lb capacity . My plan is to have an upright with a lever hinged on top , the scale hangs from it . There will be a chain attached to the bottom of the scale with a hook that will catch under the handle to lift . This way I can lift the front then back and add the two for a total weight . That will work up to a total hive weight of around 200+ pounds , when they get heavier than that I have a lever arrangement designed to double (or triple) the capacity . I need to stop by the steel supply tomorrow while I'm in town running errands , I have stock on hand but it's not really well suited to this task . Owning a machine shop makes many things a lot easier ...
    Last edited by Terry C; 06-10-2015 at 07:35 PM. Reason: grammar ...
    Retired wannabee Hillbilly Farmer in backwoods Arkansas
    Our biggest crop is rocks ...

Inspected my hives today, the one that was queenless and then requeened has brood again, I was super happy to see. My brother in law came out to see my inspecting. He was amazed how calm the bee's were.. I'm just glad I was working the nice hive. I tasted my bee's honey for the first time it was very good, gave my brother in law a taste too.. Feeling more confident every day, although not always with the pissy hive, but that may have been the queen issues so I may give them a pass for there bad behavior. But I don't trust them. The nice hive I am very at ease with and could work with out protection I have no plans of doing that but I really think I could they are just super calm and very busy!

I had a pleasant day. Clean up supers and set out two swarm traps. My koi fish came out after spending three days
    hidden under the stone ledges. The bees come to the sandy beach i made for them. A few weeks back I made two
    nucs. I gave one to a neighbor beek down the road, as he lost his hives last winter, this evening. His wife was so pleased
    to have bees again. Aint life grand ! But oh boy i hope they don't come robbing .

Got a slight break of sun. Refilling feeder jars. Got into one of the strong hives. The bees were drawing sunflower yellow wax as opposed to the more usual cream/light yellow. I've seen it before, but not that often - kind of cool

Rain, rain & more rain. I finally heard a forecaster mention "Monsoon".

My son showed up so as to do some early morning weed wacking for me.
    We sneaked a little peek into the top #2 box.
    No comb drawing yet but, bees seem to be inspecting and cleaning?
    MB

Went into 4 nucs the calendar was telling me should be close or laying. 4-4 made it home safely from mating flights and are laying solid patterns of eggs from what I could see at dusk last night. Good Day. G

Our flow is quickly drying up with no rain in sight. Today I'll be adding reducers and robber screens. May also add some frame feeders to the young colony's that need to draw another box to get through winter.

Page 5 of 118 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast