Today in the Apiary - Page 4
Page 4 of 118 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast

Default Re: Today in the Apiary

Today in the bee yard I sent ten nucs down the road with a friend of mine. Sold them to him.
    Mark Berninghausen

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Added a hive from a cutout to the apiary today. Had to access through the living room ceiling.
    Wow, better than my cutout today. It was in a large, dead tree. The family noticed bees climbing in and out of the tree two weeks ago and when i got there we cut down the tree, split it open, and found one small piece of comb, maybe two inches long by an inch deep. Put as many bees in my box as i could, added a frame of drawn comb, never saw the queen, hoping i got her.

Tomorrow when i bring them home i will add a frame of eggs and brood from one of my other hives so they can start building up, even making a queen if they need.

The family told me that they saw "a lot of bees flying around the tree and go inside last night."

My guess? They have been seeing scout bees and the swarm went in last night.
    -- Joe
    "Make your own decision and embrace the consequences." -- jwcarlson

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    Today in the bee yard I sent ten nucs down the road with a friend of mine. Sold them to him.
    Anyone willing to cough up information of the price range of nucs in the NE this time of year?

Received an email from Weavers letting me know we are able to preorder nucs for 2016 right now.

Before you click on the link and read the pricing have yourself a stiff drink or three.

Best thing I noted on their website is that they will not be shipping any packages this coming year. http://www.beeweaver.com/buy_beeweav..._italian_queen

Guess that means my day in the apiary was doing a jig or two knowing another package shipping competitor has called it quits.

Time to start setting goals for next year

First cells of the year were ready today. Set up 138 mating nucs yesterday and moved them into the mating apiary. Group 1 done, three more groups to go.

Good evening folks
    June 6, 1944, a band of brothers from many countries stormed ashore in Normandy and began the re-conquest of Europe. Let's not ever forget what their sacrifice bought us.
    Everything is ready for my first nucs arriving next week. Fired up the new smoker yesterday and walked around the yard puffing smoke at everything. I've been trying without success to source Oxalic Acid in Canada, only to find out today my local drugstore can order it in and at a reasonable price, too.
    HAGO

Quote Originally Posted by gnor View Post
    Good evening folks –
    June 6, 1944, a band of brothers from many countries stormed ashore in Normandy and began the re-conquest of Europe. Let's not ever forget what their sacrifice bought us.
    Everything is ready for my first nucs arriving next week. Fired up the new smoker yesterday and walked around the yard puffing smoke at everything. I've been trying without success to source Oxalic Acid in Canada, only to find out today my local drugstore can order it in and at a reasonable price, too.
    HAGO
    http://www.amazon.ca/Savogran-10501-.../dp/B002NZWY4A
    Brad - 3rd year - 120 colonies - small commercial operation
    https://www.facebook.com/FaithApiaries

Quote Originally Posted by Honey-4-All View Post
    Anyone willing to cough up information of the price range of nucs in the NE this time of year?
    Before you click on the link and read the pricing have yourself a stiff drink or three.
    Time to start setting goals for next year[/B].
    What is it that P.T. Barnum said? I sell my nucs for about half that amount.
    Dan Boylan, When in doubt "It's mites".

Quote Originally Posted by Honey-4-All View Post

Received an email from Weavers letting me know we are able to preorder nucs for 2016 right now.

Best thing I noted on their website is that they will not be shipping any packages this coming year. http://www.beeweaver.com/buy_beeweav..._italian_queen
    Wow you were joking about the need to have a drink before reading those prices.

today I said goodbye to my production colony. I never open my entrance all the way, keep them choked down to where it's packed but they aren't backing up when I was in the yard today and everyone was working hard I noticed there was still plenty of traffic but the entrance wasn't packed so I dug through all 8 boxes and immediatly notices fewer bees and though oh crap and sure enough found 3 frames with swarm cells on them. So I left one frame in the original hive, pulled 2 boxes off and split off the other 2 frames. My flow will be over by the time she mates. I should still get 3 supers worth though so all is not lost. The good out of the deal is even if they choke it full, I will be extracting and putting empties back about the time she's ready to lay so they will have room to move nectar up out of the broodnest for her.

Quote Originally Posted by e-spice View Post
    Wow you were joking about the need to have a drink before reading those prices.
    They really sell nucs with drone brood that looks like that? And a feeder too? When I think of a five frame nuc, I think 5 frames, not 4 and a feeder.
    Mark Berninghausen

Maybe getting ready for the flow hive people?

Went in today to inspect the cutout hive and see what we ended up with. Jackpot! Nice fat queen with an egg halfway out of her and a nice blue dot on her! Thank you local beekeeper!
    Regards, Barry

absconded package?
    Last edited by Barry; 06-07-2015 at 04:28 PM.

Watched my bees while sipping coffee this morning. My newest hive is very active and busy, they've started using their upper entrance some as well as the tiny rear entrance.
    My older, smaller hive is getting bigger and more active. They prefer their upper hive entrance but are now keeping a couple guards posted at the bottom. This morning saw lots of bees tumbling from the upper entrance and dropping down to the bottom or ground. I think they were baby bees exploring flying for the first time.

Quote Originally Posted by Harley Craig View Post
    absconded package?
    Who knows, only the queen was marked.
    Regards, Barry

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Who knows, only the queen was marked.
    My guess is she wasn't a 5 yr old queen with all that new white comb, and it's a little early for a package to swarm up there isn't it?

No need to guess. A blue dot indicates a 2015 queen. Whether she came with a few pounds of bees in a package or she came alone to requeen a hive, she's a new young queen and I got half of the beekeeper's bees along with her! Someone wasn't minding the store. The homeowner said they knew of a beekeeper with a couple of hives just a few blocks away.
    Regards, Barry

Woke up this morning to an email that my nucs wouldn't be ready this week. Spoke to my supplier and he's way behind due to the long Winter. Told me he's usually through his first batch of queens by now, but he doesn't think he'll have any until the middle of July now. Didn't hit 50 degrees until the middle of April. I'm usually in tee-shirt and shorts by then.

I had one that I'm sure no one else had.

Was cleaning up mating nucs and heard a rustle above in the trees. Just a bird...... Not an unusual occurrence except that it was a big green parrot. One of those big beautiful 500 dollar ones ( if not more) had decided to pay us a visit.

Hollered to my son who ran and got a fish net.

New member of the family is happily eating apples and other assorted treats in its new home. Its in the house in a big old parrot cage that was at the place when we bought it 20 years ago. Good I don't toss anything contrary to what the wife tries to encourage.

Since we don't know whether its male or female the consensus in the family was to name it "Jenner" until we can decide what it is?

Cant find any lost ones at this point on craigslist so its ours "for the meanwhile."

Would like to join in here. The wife and I took a look into our 2 box hive. The second box is a newly added box with frames that are not drawn out. Looks like the bees are inspecting and cleaning these undrawn frames. Located our queen and she looked to be doing her job.

Going to a local bee supply store this morning so as to buy a feeder. Thinking that with some feed the bees will build the comb out much faster.

This (at this time) is a very gentle hive. I can take peeks inside with not much response from the bees.

Mountainmanbob

Page 4 of 118 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast