Today in the Apiary - Page 2
Page 2 of 115 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Default Re: Today in the Apiary

Today, ordered foundation for my medium frames, I've yet to assemble. Checked on the bees, 2 hives have a lot of bees on their porches, and one hive hardly any. Everything looks normal, bees zooming in and out. Checked slide out trays for mites, hive #1 had a ton of mites on their board 40+, Hive #2 had about a dozen to 15, and Hive #3 had 8-10. MAQS are doing the job.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

I'm glad I found this thread. I installed seven packages the week of May 12 to 15. One absconded so there are now six hives. I gave them only foundationless frames...I felt that was a bold move but they seem to be drawing nice comb regardless.

Today I pulled some frames from one hive for the first time. I'm new so I'm not sure what I'm looking at but I'm not sure I saw much brood. I saw what looked like a lot of nectar. I didn't get pictures of the capped cells, working alone and not wanting to have the hive open long.

IMG_20150529_155545.jpg
    Brad - 3rd year - 120 colonies - small commercial operation
    https://www.facebook.com/FaithApiaries

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Digman View Post
    I walked by a box of 100 frames that need to be assembled.
    I walked by several boxes of PF-120's, and smiled...
    Those 50 supers, that's another story, but it can wait...
    After 40 years of beekeeping, I've come to realize that the bees can fix most of my mistakes.

i went out just after sunrise today to pull the cloake board out of my starter/finisher in which grafts were placed yesterday. what was interesting is that while the other 9 colonies in the yard weren't even flying yet there was bee after bee bringing pollen in to the cell builder. seeing that makes me hopeful that at least some of the grafts were accepted. i may take a peek in there later to see how many cells were started.
    journaling the growth of a (mite) treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

Inspected one of my nucs today which has been queenless and I had given it a frame of brood, I seen a few larvae where a new queen is just coming into lay, it is a good day.
    Bill...in Southeast Ohio Zone 6A, Never look down on anybody unless you are helping them up

On Memorial day I did my first-ever Snelgrove board division, and today was day 5 so I swapped the entrance positions around. So far (from the outside) things looks good.

I went through all my hives this week to check for swarm signs (none seen) and added some frames on the sides of the brood nest in a couple plus a super for my over-achiever.

My beloved old Queen Buttercup seems to be getting superceded. After thinking about it, I have decided to transfer her to an observation hive to live out her life. I was hemming and hawing over this move for a few days, but got lucky and found her easily and transferred her to a nuc for the moment (on top of Snelgrove board above her former hive). One of the queen cells had been opened and the bees were fussing at the other. Not sure if I have a virgin queen afoot, or whether they had just changed their minds (they have done that before.) We'll see in a bit.

Today I went through my friend's somewhat neglected hive; opened the brood nest (which was in all four boxes) and gave them a super. Finally, I have got it arranged with deeps on the bottom, mediums above. I expect to move it here next week when it's cool and after it's settled down again, divide it with a Snelgrove board. I wanted the rumpus of the full-hive overhaul to happen elsewhere. My girls are opportunistic honey-felons.

We're finally getting some light rain with two days of steadier stuff expected, which we sorely need. It will probably foreshorten the black locust flow somewhat, but we need it badly for the other later nectar plants like goldenrod. And the Basswood should be open by week's end. Wanted to have my girls checked for swarminess before they get closed in for a few days. All's well. I'm beat!

Enj.

Knocked these out today while listening to classic southern rock. (That genre just seems the most appropriate for putting bee gear together.)

Nobody ruins my day without my permission, and I refuse to grant it...

Split 15 hives this afternoon in the brutal [for us] humidity. Glad it's done

Thumbs Up Re: Today in the Apiary

Just finished up my last 100 pack of queens. Spliting season is now DONE. Bees really look good this year.

I think I know why my Italians are lagging behind in honey production. When checking on mite drop today, I stood there and watched the comings and goings on all three hives. I noticed some bees going into the Italian hive, that did not look very Italian No robbing going on, nor fighting of any kind, I think my Italians may have swarmed awhile ago, and I never noticed The Italian Queen was not marked, but I may be able to tell if it's the same one. Some of the bees I saw today looked kind of like some of the feral bees I've seen at my water trough, and, at the pollen feeding station I had out in Feb/March. Looks like if they did swarm the little suckers ignored all my swarm traps I had out. Oh well....
    So far everything else is okay, Hive #1 is still dropping a lot of mites over 100, at least, the other two maybe 20 - 40 on the entire sliding board.

Checked a round of grafts then grafted another later. Put a mated queen in a 5 frame split with a additional 2 frames of bees shook in. Melted and Filtered 4-5 lbs of culled comb wax. Snapped in 250 acorn foundation and coated them. Fun.
    Splitting a first year hive successfully https://youtu.be/ZfRTreQ-S9c

Picked up 3 Queens from Tubbs Apiaries in Mize, MS today. When I was out I bought some oxalic acid at Ace hardware and a deep cycle battery at Walmart. When I got back home I treated two of my hives with my new OAV vaporizer and then went into a strong hive to make splits. I found the queen pretty quickly and caged her. I then began pulling frames and putting them in 5 frame nuc boxes. I got two of them done with new queens when it started to rain. So I put this hive back together and released the queen back into the hive. During the rain storm I caught up on last weeks episode of Game of Thrones, it was a great episode. When it ended the rain had passed, so back to the bees I went. Went into a different hive to make my last nuc. Found this queen in the third medium box. Since her brood nest is in medium frames I put this nuc in an 8 frame medium box. Went into two problem hives that I split 7 weeks ago and found both queens, marked Russians that I thought went awol. I was glad to see these two queens but kind of disappointed with their laying pattern. I thought about going into my TBH and my 3 recent package installs but decided that would have to wait till another day. Only got one sting today through my nitrile groves.
    3rd year with bees. 8 hives.

I checked all my hives today, lifted every frame for a look-see. I couldn't identify even one queen, I still need to learn that skill. The comb is still fragile so no flipping frames around. I saw what I think is capped brood but I'd like some advice on that, can you please tell me if that's what this is?

DSC00001.jpg

DSC00007.jpg

In your first photo you can see the difference between the capped honey at the top and the capped brood at the bottom. The honey is lighter and flatter than the brood, which, in these photos, is yellower and domed.
    Nobody ruins my day without my permission, and I refuse to grant it...

Congrats on finishing the frames Barry. Im going to do it tonight. Added boxes to my 2 production hives, they are still filling fast, filled 3 supers so far each, it will slow down soon. Checked and saw a virgin has been mated in one of my splits,she is laying a great pattern. added a box to another split, Moved 3 nucs with ripe QC's to mating yard. Hive that was drawing foundationless up, has straightened it out after 2 interventions, looks great now. Good day, mighty hot. G

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Digman View Post
    In your first photo you can see the difference between the capped honey at the top and the capped brood at the bottom. The honey is lighter and flatter than the brood, which, in these photos, is yellower and domed.
    Thanks Barry!

60 deg and drizzly decided it would be a good day to mow in front of the hives without much disturbance

Today I decided to put some feed on a second split made from the same hive in case they weren't taking enough in. The first split taken produced enough viable queen cells to utilize some in a second one. Hate to waste a good queen cell or two. I plan to split it some more later in the year. Slow day with the bees.

Finished my frames for deeps today. Now just have 80 medium frames to go...

image.jpg
    Working beeyards at 7700' elevation in Ponderosa pine forest.
    Visit us at Best Raw Honey

Did my inspection yesterday on my 1st hive. Had added a second deep the weekend before. They had built out comb on 6 of the 10 frames and had capped brood on 4 of the 6 frames already in upper box. Completly removed the entrance reducer. Hive is doing really well. Also saw the queen in the lower box.

Page 2 of 115 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast