Today in the Apiary - Page 13
Page 13 of 118 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363113 ... LastLast

Default Re: Today in the Apiary

Found 7 of 9 new queens progressing on schedule at 10 days. No queens, and capped queen cells in the other 2.

Put triangular escape boards on yesterday afternoon and pulled 6 capped mediums this morning. About a dozen bees hadn't escaped.

Brushed up against the hot wire in passing - DANG THAT HURTS! At least I know it's still working.
    After 40 years of beekeeping, I've come to realize that the bees can fix most of my mistakes.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

I watched the bees begin their day yesterday. The nights are cool here, so it takes some time for the hive to warm up and the cluster to break. It's hard not to attribute human behavior to them, but I know just how they feel. They walk out onto the porch rubbing their eyes, and you can almost see them yawn and stretch. Some sit there and warm up in the Sun for a few minutes before beginning work. Others do a nice grooming before they take off. The first flight always seems to be a bit wobbly, compared to later in the day, when they take off like rockets.
    I want bees that make up for my mistakes.

Yesterday I stopped to check on things and noticed alot of bees comming and going from both the fron and the back of my #1 hive. Got down on the ground to peek under and found that a large group of bees are clustering and building comb on/under the bottom board. Assumtion is that a new queen took a mating flight returned and some how unded up under the hive.

Checked my nuc today that came from the SHB infested hive. No queen and only about 100 bees in the nuc. It's a goner, no use trying anything else with it. Also checked another hive that had gone queen less in April. I had put a queen cell into the hive, she emerged and had been laying but is gone now. There were a few drone cells capped but no eggs or uncapped larva. I figured the queen has been gone about three weeks. Put a frame of young brood from another hive in this hive. I'll check for queen cells on Monday. There are still lots of drones around right now so I think there is still enough time for a queen to emerge, get mated, and start laying. Just hope the robber flies or dragon flies don't get her.

I released the three queens yesterday that I had intro'd in cages Tuesday. And as always, feeders are kept full for drawing out comb. I'm no longer using any essential oils in the syrup though. I've decided it does not help, I still have to treat varroa with Apivar, so why feed the EO's.
    Live real time bee chat, most evenings...
    https://www.rumbletalk.com/client/chat.php?4%40HY_hmJ

Credit:
    Egg-laying Worker Bees
    By Khalil Hamdan, Apeldoorn, The Netherlands

Add unsealed brood: In order to prepare a colony with laying workers to accept a new queen, the status of the egg-layers must be changed. This can be achieved by adding a frame of unsealed worker brood and adhering nurse bees every week for three weeks. They will start queen cells by then. At this point a new queen can be introduced or let the bees raise a queen. Bees making queen cells may be willing to accept a new queen. When introducing a new queen make sure that she is not released from the introducing cage for at least 3 to 4 days.
    The pheromones from the workers brood inhibits the ovary development that has taken place in the laying workers and provides stimulus for the laying workers to refrain from laying eggs. This increases the chance of queen acceptance by the colony.

7/24/2015.

Cut down emergency queen cells in the laying worker nuc, changed out the Double Screen Board with a Double Queen Excluder Board. I lifted a cover on the top queen right nuc 20 minutes later and I could see that the bees are passing through the two excluders and filling in the frames with a 2014 queen. Checked back at 70 minutes and the upper queen right nuc covers 8 frames without fighting. I will let these bees work together for 7 to 10 days and check them for progress.
    Regards,
    Ernie
    Last edited by BEES4U; 07-24-2015 at 11:17 PM. Reason: remove website info

Finished introducing my 7 Old Sol queens yesterday. 3 caucasians, 2 premium, 2 standard queens are now in nucs. Will check Monday for release. Made notes while pulling nucs for the new queens, definitely time to get some Apivar in the hives. Had 3 Broke-T queens from last year, really haven't done much this year, but I'll give them this, they looked better than some of the boomers which are under mite duress now in terms of brood quality and counts, this is not to say they have a higher bee population though. Was able to pull a nice 3 frames from each to get the last 3 queens hived up. Probably time to start feeding some as well to keep hives brooding and building up for fall.

Today one of my hives is unusually active. The activity began after I added syrup to a top hive feeder. My bees are facing southeast. They normally leave the hive and travel that direction. This evening I have bees flying in every direction away from the hive and back to the hive. They seem to be edgy as they are darting around different objects and me as I walk up on them. It is slightly cooler than it has been in central Virginia. I looked for signs of robbing but I didn't recognize any obvious signs. But the activity seems to be focused on the top entrance / vent which is directly under the top feeders. I am wondering if the hive bees, themselves, are just trying to get to the syrup. I am going to reduce the main entrance tomorrow morning. I will also take a peek inside and try to determine if any damage exists from robbing. I picked up some hardware cloth this week so will add to the top entrances as a robber screen.
    I just had my second hive swarm this week. I replaced the existing queens and cut out swarm cells. I put some VP Queens in. It's been a busy week for my hives.

Oh, almost forgot... Bought an Oxalic vaporizer today as well.

Checked through all 13 nucs today. The 3 queens I released two days ago are doing well. One has laid up all available space, one has laid on one side of one frame, the other is just starting and needed feed, they were dry. Added a frame of open nectar from a different nuc in the yard. All looks good so far, drawing wax as I'm still feeding a quart every day to every other day.
    Live real time bee chat, most evenings...
    https://www.rumbletalk.com/client/chat.php?4%40HY_hmJ

Last weekend, I found 2 hives without queens. I had one hive set up with a swarm that I caught earlier this year, and I did a combine of the new/swarm hive with old queenless one. I did not have a queen for the other one.

However, I remembered that the swarm trap at my brother-in-laws had a swarm in it. So last night my 11 year old and I went to the brother-in-law's and the 3 of us got the swarm down after dark. I brought it home last night.

This morning, I combined the swarm into the 2nd queenless hive. If all goes well, all my hives will be in pretty good shape.

Swarm traps and catching swarms can supply an emergency queen and fill the role of a nuc.

[QUOTE=RayMarler;1306557 The 3 queens I released two days ago are doing well. [/QUOTE]

Well that's good. Glad your 3 new queens are laying and hopefully they'll all prove to be breeding stock.

006.jpgYesterday I took down the #1 hive to bottom board to fix the bees underneath issue. Cut the comb off the screen and rubber banded it into open frames got it all back together shook remaining bees into hive and closed it up.

Today I have a swarm hanging from a branch in my yard not sure but think It is from the same hive. I would share a picture but I can not get that one to load and the site doesn't indicate why.

I managed to get a ladder and a hook catch the branch snip the smaller branch above the hive get down the ladder and box the swarm without breaking my neck.007.jpg

Well, this weekend, anyway. Last weekend we split our best hive to make two nucs. We finally gave up waiting for swarm cells and rolled the dice to see if they would produce emergency queen cells. But we never did spot the queen in this exercise, suspecting she was hiding in the donor hive. This is her second year and we really want some offspring from this marvelous bug.

So this weekend I went down to check the nuc we'd placed at a neighbor's home, on top of the abandoned 10-frame from his attempt at raising bees. A quick glance revealed a frame with five queen cells, most of them capped already. And they'd drained a pint feeder.

The next morning I got into the other nuc with high hopes. But no queen cells. So into the donor hive ... queen cells, at least one capped. Back into the nuc, and I spotted Her Majesty. And that's good because I've been told more than once that the donor queen should go into a nuc.

Sure is nice when the bees figure out how to do what I wanted them to do.

I'm a first year-beek and I do weekly inspections.

Yesterday I noticed when I pulled off the telescoping covers there were more bees than usual on the top of the inner covers. I run all medium, both stacks are 3 boxes high. I have the standard inner cover, and telescoping cover, but right now I have the telescoping cover's front edge sitting on top of the front edge of the inner cover. I think I read where that gives a bit better ventalition during the heat. This made sense when I read Walt's article on the "attic". So when I saw those extra bees on the first hive, that's what I attributed it to.

When I open the second hive, there were even more bees on the inner cover than on the first hive. That made sense, this is the stronger hive. But, there were enough that I spent a minute looking at the bees on the inner cover. Nothing out of the ordinary, so I set the cover down, leaning it against the hive stand and preceded with my inspection. After a five minutes or so I noticed a lot of bees nasanoving on the landing board, and the top bars.

THE QUEEN IS NOT IN THE BOX

Golly - for us rookies that's scary. I looked again at the inner and telescoping covers - and there is a festoon of bees on the telescoping cover. I put the inner cover back on and I very carefully move that festoon to the inner cover. I wait a minute for the bees to march down inside and put the telescoping cover back on. I check back in 10 minutes - nobody has their butts in the air -- Phew

Dropped a whole frame with honey and bees trying to carry three frames at once. WHAM!! And bees and honey everywhere. That's what happens when you try and take shortcuts. Reasonably certain the queen was not on the frame.

Once the honey spilled, there was a mass of bees in the air so I decided to quit my inspection, put everything back and leave the bees alone for a while. Will go down as one of my stupider actions

Checked on a split that had laying workers. I added frames for 2 weeks and they were making queen cells, plus I moved a frame with a capped queen cell over a couple of weeks ago. Looked in it yesterday, and the queen cell is hatched, but no sign of a queen or eggs yet. The other queen cells were torn down. I'll check again in a couple of weeks and see if she's up to speed yet.
    On my 5th year with bees, 2 hives.

Syrup sprayed on the frames will entice them to stay in the super.
    I will bless (Praise) the Lord at all times: his praise shall continually be in my mouth.

I inspected 8 hives today, in a t-shirt, shorts and sneakers! Went to the bottom board. Checker boarded some of the hives. All seemed to have a lot of eggs, uncapped and capped brood. Saw a queen cell, no egg or jelly. Edges looked crisp. I had seen a queen cell on frame # 8 a month a ago but it was no longer there.
    Got stung 3 times due to me squeezing bees when I picked up the super or top board.
    A lot of stores, and pollen stored. Looking good for the fall splits on 3 of the hives.
    I will bless (Praise) the Lord at all times: his praise shall continually be in my mouth.

Page 13 of 118 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363113 ... LastLast