Today in the Apiary - Page 116
Page 116 of 118 FirstFirst ... 1666106114115116117118 LastLast
Results 2,301 to 2,320 of 2344

Default Re: Today in the Apiary

I spent the day trying to finish making the next long hive. Got three walls and the floor finished. Just have to hurry up and decide whether to have a top or bottom entrance so I can finish the last wall.
    Had to walk away a few times and wound up spending way too much time watching my bees. Tomorrow should see it all finished, except for the base that it will sit on, but I have at least a month yet before I can make a split for it so...no hurry yet.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by mischief View Post
    I spent the day trying to finish making the next long hive. Got three walls and the floor finished. Just have to hurry up and decide whether to have a top or bottom entrance so I can finish the last wall.
    If it's proving a difficult decision to make - why not provide both, and simply block one off ? That way you could test which entrance the bees' prefer.

Had to walk away a few times and wound up spending way too much time watching my bees.
    LOL - I know that one only too well ...
    LJ
    A Heretics Guide to Beekeeping http://heretics-guide.atwebpages.com/

Quote Originally Posted by little_john View Post
    ...why not provide both, and simply block one off ? .....LJ
    I have been running mix of top and bottom second season now.
    What I see - both are beneficial to have available and this is what I am doing forward on.
    Just back from the backyard - my main resource hive uses the top entrances to haul in pollen loads (bees are fighting for the holes) and the bottom entrances to ventilate.
    Former "smoker boy". Classic, square 12 frame Dadants >> Long hive/Short frame/chemical-free experimentations.

My “Yesterday in the Apiary” story. I posted this on another forum but wanted to share here.
    We went out to the apiary to check on the hives; it’s flow time here and the knotweed is busting out. As we were watching the incoming bees, a hive swarmed. As usual, it took a lot of the incoming bees with it in the apiary, and was swarming up to the highest pine tree, up they went. In that moment I remembered something a friend told me she read in an old old bee book, that if you bang pots/pans/anything loud the swarm would come back. So we figured why not? I had two metal old bird feeders on a metal stake which I pulled out and my husband and I started banging. Well, we couldn’t believe out eyes, the bees started coming down again!
    They were at least 30 feet high! We kept banging until they settled on a lower branch and we hived the swarm. It was amazing. Deb
    Proverbs 16:24

One of my (4) hives I think decided to kick out the drones today, but 2 of the other ones (5 feet away) still have capped drone cells (and a few drone larvae). I am thinking the size imbalance caused one hive to kick out the drones while 2 others were still making drones.

I checked several hives yesterday and was surprised that they still were making drones. But, the fall flow is just beginning - there are still goldenrod varieties and all the asters that haven't bloomed yet. They are storing a lot of capped honey for winter - I have already taken 250 pounds and don't want any more. It will be the first year in a while that I won't have to feed.

New beekeper here - did another hive inspection this weekend. I lost my queen mid summer, but fortunately there were a number of queen cells on the bottom of two frames so I made a split and let nature take it's course. Fast forward to this weekend and both hives are happy and healthy - the new queens in each are very productive. My original hive is filling up a second honey super slowly but surely, but the new hive is lagging behind in filling a super due to the late split. The golden rod here (Peterborough, Ontario) has just started blooming so I'm hopeful it's a decent flow to help the bees fill up the supers. I'm hoping to have 1 full super per hive heading into winter, where I'll also supplemental feed with sugar water and then a candy board for the winter. Quick Question : how significant can a fall goldenrod flow be? aka - Is it significant enough that I should have extra supers on standby?

One should always have at least one extra super per hive ready to go. You do not want to be sitting on the sidelines while everyone else's bees are having a record breaking year.

On 8/19/19 I made up my last walkaway split. On 8/25 I had two capped cells and several almost capped ones. I removed one capped to a queenless nuc and decided to wait to remove the others. Sunday, 9/1 I removed four capped cells and found two that were already open. Oops. Probably should have done this on Sat. Set one cell in a Q- nuc and put the other three in the incubator. Well, two actually. One emerged while the roller cages were still sitting on the kitchen counter. The remaining queens emerged overnight. Today, one queen went into another Q- nuc and two went into a queen castle. The cell that went into the first nuc had fallen out of the comb and was destroyed, but the cell placed the day before in a different nuc had emerged successfully. Several of my hives still have an ample supply of drones, one I know has a bunch of capped drone cells even. Mating should not be an issue, but predation still is. Back on 8/13 I installed two virgins into nucs, only one made it back.
    Last edited by JWPalmer; 09-02-2019 at 07:48 PM. Reason: Correct the split start date
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Looks like day one of Goldenrod for my apiary.

Been feeding heavily to get the girls to draw comb. Was gonna stop, as it seemed that they were just back filling space with syrup, and they're already heavy going into a fall goldenrod season (the GR flow is not very heavy in my location). But looked in today, and most of the frames are half drawn out already. I just put the frames in last Wednesday with all new foundation. Good Girls !!!! As long as you keep drawing frames, I'll feed ya They are taking a gallon a day if I give it to them, but I'm just filling up the Rapid Feeder once a day. Walmart sugar is cheap, so I don't mind.

So shoutout to Nick at Accorn for some awesome waxed frames that the bees just went to town on. BTW, lots and lots of feeding is the tip if you want to draw wax out of season.

frame.jpg

Temps here are finally cooling off. Had triple digit and high 90's for weeks on end.

With the lower temps, we are now scrambling to produce as many queen cells as possible with accompanying two frame nucs. Figure we may have 30 days left to successfully make nucs with new queen cells.

Have no clue what the bees are bringing in, but lots of nectar and pollen all summer long. This is unusual for our area. Noticed massive small yellow flowers, mile after mile of it, but not sure what it is.

Happy with the Oxivap 110. Sure makes things a lot easier and does a number on the mites.

Having a bee fly into your ear and sting you on the tragus is rather unejoyable.

pic with the parts of an ear since I had to look it up
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auricl...:Slide2COR.JPG

backstory: I went out to burn off a wasp nest on the other side of the fence from my beehives (about 3 ft from them) and a bee decided it didnt like me, flew into my ear, and stung me. Not an experience I want to repeat and my first sting this year (I think). My ear isn't swelling up and I got the stinger out quickly so I think I am fine. It has been about 24 hours since this happened.

Wasps and hornets are really bad this year. I have seen them snatch bees sunning themselves on their hives, and when I put out the extractor for cleaning, there were at least fifty at a time keeping the bees away.
    I just read this article from Rusty Burlew about a wasp trap that I plan to try. https://www.honeybeesuite.com/lesson...erm=2019-09-04

We never had a dearth this summer. The Japanese knotweed and the tall goldenrod are just out, soon to followed by the asters. I don't think I will have to feed this year. There is a lot of pollen coming in, white, tan, yellow, and gold. I took about 250 lbs of honey but have left the rest for them.

quilt box and candy board.jpg

Made two sets of these today. Candy board on the right and a quilt box on the left (minus the wood chips).

Started feeding the bees today as well with sugar water. Golden Rod is going strong, but I think the girls need some extra feed through September.

The bees didn't get the memo that fall is here. Some backfilling but lots of new bees still. Focusing on two things- final mite control and feeding. Indecisive about feed on or off. Have fed probably 4 gallons per hive. Scale comes next week thank god. They are swimming in propolis and feed and happy as clams. Planning hive hut to go over smallest colonies. (mini greenhouse idea with hoops and clear vinyl over top) Boyfriend has no choice but to help. He was informed yesterday. Resistance is futile.

Quote Originally Posted by LAlldredge View Post
    The bees didn't get the memo that fall is here. Some backfilling but lots of new bees still. Focusing on two things- final mite control and feeding. Indecisive about feed on or off. Have fed probably 4 gallons per hive. Scale comes next week thank god. They are swimming in propolis and feed and happy as clams. Planning hive hut to go over smallest colonies. (mini greenhouse idea with hoops and clear vinyl over top) Boyfriend has no choice but to help. He was informed yesterday. Resistance is futile.
    Hi LAII, wow 4 gallons, I get close to a frame of honey (medium) to a quart, so that is 16 medium frames of feed. Take a bit away for the comb building and what they ate, and they should have a super of stores. How much do they need in your area? the scale would be nice, I just lift and relate if it is heavy or not. I would rethink the clear vinyl. My worst bee, over winter experience, was when I made a quick lean too, with OSB roof and clear Vinyl sides.When the sun shined it warmed up "like a greenhouse would" then the bees came out and were on the plastic. Nite time happened , the bees were on the ground dead, or in tupor, by morning. By spring there were 6 inches of bees on the ground around the Vinyl and hardly any in the hives. I lost 4 of 5 in that set up. As well the temperature will go up and down. Studies show that this will cause the cluster to expand and then contract, this is not good for winter cluster. a steady state is better, IE less swings in temperature. I now have a wood structure and keep them in the dark. I would re think the clear Vinyl, Not Good IMO. Carry on if it has worked for you in the past. if you do it then be ready to feed as well , more activity/ higher temp may have them start brood earlier and run out of stores. good luck.
    GG

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Goose View Post
    I would rethink the clear vinyl. My worst bee, over winter experience, was when I made a quick lean too, with OSB roof and clear Vinyl sides.When the sun shined it warmed up "like a greenhouse would" then the bees came out and were on the plastic. Nite time happened , the bees were on the ground dead, or in tupor, by morning. By spring there were 6 inches of bees on the ground around the Vinyl and hardly any in the hives. GG
    Super helpful GG. I have the yips right now over over wintering. Lost my first two hives last winter. Okay, no clear vinyl. Will work on wind block and insulation.

Over the last 2 days I extracted honey. I extracted 39 frames from 2 hives and ended up with about 8 gallons of honey I still have 3 frames to make into cutcomb, but I am happy with this years haul, and it is much better than I was expecting this spring (based on last year)

We made up many 5 frame nucs...gonna be interesting to see the results this late in the year. We are still finding drone cells and drones flying, but I we are also seeing what appears to be the beginning for the ladies kicking the gentlemen out!

Now working on 20 mini nucs just to see if it is even possible. Got lots of extra capped queen cells so what the heck. I like to experiment...even if it is outside the box at times. It sure would be nice to have some extra mated queens for next year...

We also began the long and tedious process of equalization along with cleaning bottom boards.

I went to pinch the last, so called, empty frame this afternoon, late; only to find they had already filled half of it with honey AND capped it.....within the last week.
    Gotta love Spring!

Things got a little spicy this morning when I went to remove my Beesmart robbing screens in favor of mouseguards. It seems bees like to cluster in the panel and didn’t like waking up to having it pried off. And of course I’m in my bathrobe, a quilted jacket, a veil and garden gloves. Not exactly formal bee attire. It was one of those “just take a minute” tasks. You know those...

Page 116 of 118 FirstFirst ... 1666106114115116117118 LastLast