Today in the Apiary - Page 103
Page 103 of 116 FirstFirst ... 35393101102103104105113 ... LastLast
Results 2,041 to 2,060 of 2319

Default Re: Today in the Apiary

What a great experience for her to hear!
    Western Catskill Mountains
    Proverbs 16:24

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Finished up another 20 brand new nucs. I may still paint them a little different on the front face to add help for the returning mated queens...Nuc boxes 5.5.18.jpg

Dandelions Finally. Bees 3 weeks behind. Will be doing some splits on strong hives this week. Rain again for 3 days again. Honey frames added to weaker hives.

Took 36 (day old) larva from Nicot today. About 12 full of royal jelly the rest all to varying degrees . It was a strong cold wind.........not please nor impressed. My cell starter is weak as well as I have 4 frames of bees not hatched yet. It's experience.....right....
    On the border near 04619
    Zone 5B @ 29m

Did a quick look before work today and see a min of 12 cells being drawn out. The may be more but it will have to wait until I get back tomorrow at supper time. Happy with that many. It's very early for our location but I have a few drone frames that should hatch in the next few days. There were day old eggs in all the new comb being built on the nicot frame. Will try grafting around mid week.
    On the border near 04619
    Zone 5B @ 29m

Found another 2 queen hive. Both were from Michael Palmers queens. I'm pretty impressed due to the fact one of the queens was the marked one I purchased summer of 2016
    Splitting a first year hive successfully https://youtu.be/ZfRTreQ-S9c

A Mother's Day treat for me inspected four two pound packages today and one queen showed me how she lays her eggs.

Placed two Nicot boxes in two different colonies and then installed excellent queens. Cell builders should be ready after waiting nearly two weeks according to instructions...

Re-drilled all nuc box entry holes at the bottom of the nuc boxes. Installed mice guards. Now we need to patch up the extra hole.

Built another 60 frames.

Continued to brainstorm on ant proof colony stands using shelving angle iron. It's gonna be about 100 faster and cheaper than using the wood because I won massive amounts of metal shelving at an auction and only paid pennies. It should work out to less than $3 per stand. Will post pics later this week.

Hopefully we are getting ready to make 60+ two frame nucs. The ball is rolling and we are scrambling.

Spoke with two more large property owners with irrigated clover and alfalfa. Received permission to place lots of colonies.

This is becoming more and more exciting!

Congratulations. It sounds like you have hit the ground running.

Alex
    Ten years of Beekeeping before varroa. Started again spring of 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by AHudd View Post
    Congratulations. It sounds like you have hit the ground running.

Alex
    Thanks Alex!

Here's a pic of the new version of beestands...minus the bearing grease ant blockers...we hope to install the bearing grease later this week.

PS What was beekeeping like before the Varroa?

Bee hive stand metal.jpg
    Last edited by soarwitheagles; 05-15-2018 at 01:24 PM.

Today I checked my hives. Not what I was hoping for.

I have 1 strong hive with a new queen that is gaining a lot of weight. I added another super to this hive because the super that was on there was almost full and had several capped frames.

The Nuc that I got about 2 weeks ago is doing ok, but I expect it to pick up in a few weeks as the population starts growing.

I think that my split that I made on april 8th might be starting to have laying workers or a bad queen. There were some spotty capped and new drone cells, and I found a cell (only 1-2, not many) with 2 eggs on the side. I also found some cells with a single egg on the bottom. When I checked this hive a week ago they did not have any larve or eggs (that I could find) but the bees were sort of acting like the queen was there. Last week there were a couple of bees with the buts in the air fanning in one spot in the hive so I assumed the queen was in there. I added a frame with some capped brood and Larve to this hive today and am going to try to get and install a new queen Monday. There may have been eggs on the frame that I added but it was hard to see in the lighting.

Elmer fudd, don't be so quick to order a new queen. What you have described sounds right for a newly mated queen. When the bees were fanning last week, that was to help the queen find her way home. New queens are spotty as they get the laying thing down. You have single eggs in the bottom, a good sign. Not sure why you would have anything capped at this point.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Yesterday, I added more honey supers, checkerboarding capped honey frames between frames of foundation.

After the hard freeze we had early Spring, it's like we are entering into a second Spring. The swarm impulse is strong. I was surprised to find so many Queen cells. Had I known I would have made some Snelgrove boards. I have been wanting to try that method of swarm control.

Alex
    Ten years of Beekeeping before varroa. Started again spring of 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by JWPalmer View Post
    New queens are spotty as they get the laying thing down. You have single eggs in the bottom, a good sign. Not sure why you would have anything capped at this point.
    My concern is that all of the capped cells that I found and a lot of the larve that I found (and could tell) were drone cells. None of them were worker bees. The Larve that looked like drone cells were getting walls that were pulled up high around them. I think may have also found a queen cell which I dont think is a good sign. I will check again sunday, monday or tuesday and go from there. I was also concerned that I already had some capped cells and found a atleast 1 (there were probably more) cells with 2 eggs on the side. There are some places locally that stock queens so I was going to get a queen locally rather than having one shipped if stuff still does not look right sunday evening/monday/tuesday.

The other reason that I am concerned is the hive that I started with for the split that I left the queen in had the queen crash on about april 25th. I found 4+ superseeded cells on april 29th and didnt find any eggs or small larve. The next week there were no Larve. When I inspected the original hive on may 16 there was a new queen with a good laying pattern, a few capped worker cells, and a lot of eggs and larve.

I am hoping that if the split is starting to go laying working that I caught it early enough to stop it. If the split is queen less/has queen problems I am expecting I may find some queen cells on that frame that I moved over yesterday.

On the bright side my original hive is now at 1 deep and 4 mediums and gaining about 3 lb per day when the weather is nice. I run a deep and 2 mediums for the winter brood nest. If this hive does like it did last year and keeps gain weight until mid august again I am going to have a lot of honey

It FINALLY stopped raining so I was out in the beeyard this morning around 9 am. What an eye opener. Now I know why mating nucs are best left for mating queens and not for starting new hives. So the two 2 frame nucs had a frame of capped brood and some larvae but few eggs. They were running out of room too. Moved them both to 5 frame nucs. The five frame nuc started at the same time had four frames of capped brood and eggs in an outside frame the bees were still drawing out. The parent hive, also with a newly mated queen of the same batch had seven frames of brood with a massive amount of honey in the top of the dome. They got a medium super today. So while it is certainly possible to make these little baby splits, it is clear to me that brood rearing is very much a factor of the total number of bees in the box and adding nurse bees once the queen is mated and starting to lay may speed up the process. Good news is that there are enough frames in the original parent hive to make two more nucs next weekend! Probably enough in the hive that I moved the queen to to make another one from it also. In one of the splits I made last week from swarm cells, I had one properly emerged qc and three more with their sides torn open. Did not inpect the others but saw the bees bringing in loads of pollen. I guess they are getting ready for the return of their respective queens. Hopefully, I will be at fifteen hives by Memorial Day weekend with 12 having mated queens.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

first round cold,wet and windy. no matter how I tried we had 20 queen cells dry out after they started drawing them out. Larva still in bottom of cups dry as a bone. the 3 more didn't take so that just leaves us with 7 cells going in mating nukes. hope to have at least 2 dzn late next week. That will take a big bite out of my resources so may have to farm a few out. will make up a new cell starter tomorrow. then time to try again.
    On the border near 04619
    Zone 5B @ 29m

Today I replaced the queen in that was only laying drones in one of my hives. I never did find the queen but I think I isolated her to a ball with about 2 cups of bees after a lot of work. I had to removing all of the bees from all of the frames, putting all of the frames back into the hive (in a weird stack,deep frames in a a medium with a few spacers), and put queen excluders on both ends of the hive. I separated the bees into a lot of different groups and watched for which ones had their buts in the air to find the queen. I then put the other groups of bees back on an empty box on top of the hive (above the excluder). I put the group that I think the drone laying queen was with in a nuc and will see what that nuc does. The bees in the existing hive seemed to accept the new queen in the cage after this so I think I am going to be ok.

I am going to leave the hive alone for the next 7-10 days and hope the new queen is released and starts laying. I figure the few bees in the nuc will eventually die off or join another hive.

Finished moving 36 sealed grafted queen cells to hair rollers.

Checked 51 more colonies just for the heck of it.

Painted brand new never before used nuc covers a much lighter color.

Adjusted nuc box entrances to the lowest part of the box.

Prepared to box scrape new bee yard for new nucs.

Prepared vehicles for moving many colonies to blooming, irrigated clover and alfalfa fields.

Discovered I am suppose to be checkerboarding honey supers NOT brood [oh my, what have I done]!

Gonna post on the general bee forum asking how badly I have been screwing up my colonies by checkerboarding brood for the last two years...

Quote Originally Posted by soarwitheagles View Post

Discovered I am suppose to be checkerboarding honey supers NOT brood [oh my, what have I done]!

Gonna post on the general bee forum asking how badly I have been screwing up my colonies by checkerboarding brood for the last two years...
    Soar, I am sure someone who got their first bees at the beginning of this month will enlighten you.

You will know them by their other thread, "Why won't my bees draw out comb"?

Got a chance to inspect the nucs yesterday. Neither of the queen castle nucs have eggs yet. Two of the three five frame nucs had a queen that was just starting to lay. The other five frame was a suprise. First, I had "forgotten" to put in all five frames and the inner cover. Pulled up the lid and found a beautiful piece of new comb that perfetly fit into the foundationless frame I quickly rubber banded it into, and it was full of eggs. The next three frames all had varying amounts of eggs, larvae, and CAPPED BROOD! This nuc was supposedly started with a swarm cell on May 12th. Best I can figure, hive 3 was in full swarm prep with several capped swarm cells, but had not yet swarmed. I somehow unknowingly manged to move the queen to the nuc. The new queen in hive 3 is laying well in the first super. Both deep hive bodies and the second super are filling up with honey. Rotated the second deep, which is mostly new comb this year, to position three and put the medium in position 2. I pulled another couple of frames of brood from hive two and made another split. That will be the sixth split from this hive this year, and I still expect to get around 30-40# of honey from this hive alone.

Page 103 of 116 FirstFirst ... 35393101102103104105113 ... LastLast