Today in the Apiary - Page 102
Page 102 of 118 FirstFirst ... 25292100101102103104112 ... LastLast
Results 2,021 to 2,040 of 2344

Default Re: Today in the Apiary

JWPalmer

Maybe I missed it. Are you using a stater and finisher or all in one??
    Tks

R2
    On the border near 04619
    Zone 5B @ 29m

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

FPW, I was trying to do an all in one with the idea that once capped, I would incubate till ready to put in mating nucs.

Well, MAJOR FAIL. The two escaped queens made short work of dispatching all my cells. I really knew better but once they had emerged, it was too late to make a change. Good news is I saw a queen in one of my previously made mating nucs. Still too early for eggs. I was unable to locate a queen in the other three nucs. The donor hive is bursting with bees so I am going to shake a bunch into a nuc and try grafting again. This time making sure the hive stays queenless. I have a couple of qe's coming from BM on Monday and will set up the donor hive as a finisher. Guess now I will have time to paint the queen castles I ordered.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

JWP,

You can avoid that type of "FAIL" if you put a "hair roller cage" over the queen cell several days in advance of hatch. They are quite inexpensive and a good CYA approach.

, Queen Hair Roller Cage.PNG

Steve

Good advice Steve. I will order some. My first mistake was counting the cells as 1 day old eggs, instead of 1 day old larvae for the OTS method. I thought I still had two days before emergence. I probably could have saved the grafts If I had shaken all the bees into the bottom box and used the qe on my cloake board to make sure the virgins stayed in the bottom. I got lazy and of course, hindsight is 20/20. Tommorow will be another oportunity to do it all over again.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Busy, busy, busy here....

Have more swarms to house than boxes to place them in....so...

Mass producing boxes, covers, SSB's and the world famous Charlie B ant proof beehive stand.

Will move the rest of the swarms later today...

Cheers!

11.jpg10.jpg2.jpg8.jpg6.jpg
    Last edited by soarwitheagles; 04-22-2018 at 09:09 AM.

Was moving my oldest boy into his first house this weekend and finally got to sit at 3 this afternoon by my bees. Bringing in some poplar pollen on their legs. Spring has finally come to Wisconsin.

Finally!!!! 60 degrees. Only the second day this year bees are flying! Reversed some of the boxes, spent the day marking queens. One got away but only flew down to the ground in front of me. Got Lucky! First pollen was yesterday. Willow and maple. Sure feels good!

Caught my first swarm of the year from one of my hives. Checked that hive a week ago and no queen cells so they built them and decided to swarm in 7 days. Landed about 20 ' up in a pine tree but I have a 24' extension ladder so they weren't too high to get.
    "Sometimes the best action, with bees, is no action at all."

My first pollen was yesterday as well. A dull yellow. Alders?? willows?? Did see a couple of girls with orange.
    Bees been flying steady for a few weeks even with low temps. Gave them some pollen sub via open feeding. When they found their own source yesterday they didn't touch mine. Now rain for two days.
    On the border near 04619
    Zone 5B @ 29m

Quote Originally Posted by JWPalmer View Post
    Good advice Steve. I will order some. My first mistake was counting the cells as 1 day old eggs, instead of 1 day old larvae for the OTS method. I thought I still had two days before emergence. I probably could have saved the grafts If I had shaken all the bees into the bottom box and used the qe on my cloake board to make sure the virgins stayed in the bottom. I got lazy and of course, hindsight is 20/20. Tommorow will be another oportunity to do it all over again.
    Take a hive body and staple a queen excluder to bottom and rim the top of box with duct tape. Shake all your bees into box and smoke them down. Should be left with a queen. But you maybe surprised and find a second queen. You will know for sure you are queen-less in your graft box. Hair roller cages are great like BCS says.
    Here we will see 70's next week. Probably a month behind you. Our first pollen was yesterday.
    Good luck.
    On the border near 04619
    Zone 5B @ 29m

I am perhaps the clumsiest beekeeper

On Sunday, I inspected one of my colonies from a package I'd installed on April 5th. The (at the time small) queen was released on the 10th, but not being able to find any eggs, I got worried and gave them a frame of eggs and larvae from another colony.

Today I went back to see how things were going and look for emergency cells. I took off the top box (of two mediums) and placed it on-end on the adjacent hive and started to go through the frames in the bottom box. I'd gotten to about the third or fourth frame an and had lifted it up to see a nice pattern of capped brood cells and larvae.

That's when the phone i'd forgotten was in my front pants pocket started vibrating.

Now, at any other time I probably wouldn't have even noticed it, but, at least for a moment, I was convinced that a small swarm of angry bees had infiltrated my pants and was preparing to sting me where I REALLY didn't want to be stung.

I flinched

and bumped the precariously balanced hive body and had to watch helplessly as it tumbled to the ground. The bees were not happy.I carefully rolled it over and replaced the few frames that had come out and set it on the ground for a few minutes to let the displaced nurse bees find their way back up from the ground onto the combs.

After putting things all back together, I lifted a couple frames from the top box and found the queen... Hopefully things weren't too traumatic for her.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by dux; 04-27-2018 at 05:36 AM.

We’ve all been there, done that. You got the queen, the rest will follow....
    http://OxaVap.com Your source for the ProVap 110
    OA Vaporizer. The fastest vaporizer on the market!

Somehow I feel compelled to admit when I have made a mistake. So here is the update. Checked for eggs in the five splits I made at Easter. The walkaway split nuc and the original hive are now both queenright. The nuc with the old queen is 3 1/2 frames of capped brood and the emerged cells already have eggs in them. I am going to transfer them to a hive this weekend. Unfortunately, the mating nucs got robbed out over the past three days. There were no eggs in any of the frames and I was unable to locate the queens I had found earlier. Nothing but a small cluster of live bees, dead bees, and wax chunks everywhere. Insert your favorite expletive here. There has been plenty of forage so this was unexpected to say the least. To make matters worse, I was trying to get some capped brood out of a medium I wanted for a honey super so I set it above a QE. Even though I looked thoroughly and did not see the queen, guess which side of the QE she was on? Eggs in every cell not already filled with brood, honey, or pollen. Time for another expletive. Set that box back on the hive and moved the queen excluder up. So much for testing whether bees with brood above a QE might make a queen cell or two.

78 degrees - Finally. Put some excess honey frames on a couple of hives that are short. First dandelions on south side of buildings. Lots of pollen coming in. Did see one hive with a few drone cells. Spring is here.

Thunderstorms and rain the last 3 days. 6 1/4 inches. Rivers and creeks over their banks. My hives high enough. Weather should be better for bee work next few days. Were brooding up good last weekend. Lots of pollen coming in. Looking forward to getting into them.

I have been reminded of a song from the play "Fiddler on the Roof" which goes "Wonder of wonder, miracles of miracles, God took a Daniel once again. Stood by his side and miracle of miracles, led him through the lion's den".

I went to collect the drawn frames from the mating nucs that were getting robbed out earlier this week, only to discover eggs, larvae, (and a QUEEN) in two of them. I guess getting the entrances reduced did work after all. So four for five on returned mated queens. Hallelujah!

Thought I would share the good news.

I've had a busy week with the bees. Last Sunday I went through all my hives to check for Queens etc. and ended up combining a couple of Queen-less hives with some Queen-right but weak ones.

The bee inspector, Danny Brewer, came to inspect Friday. It rained before he got here and rained after he left. He must be living right. I was a little apprehensive about going through the hives during such cloudy cool weather at 8:00 AM, but it went well. I only got a couple of crawlers up the pants leg. He suggested I tuck my pants into my socks like he does. Why didn't I think of that? The bees got a clean bill of health.

One inch of rain yesterday, the sun is shining today, the weather forecast is good for the next two weeks, the Blackberries are really starting to bloom heavily and the bees are flying. I feel Blessed.

Good luck to everyone on the coming flow.
    Alex
    Ten years of Beekeeping before varroa. Started again spring of 2014.

Stayed up until 1 am reading about the Nicot system again, then literally typing out the various steps and then making a daily schedule to follow. I haven't had much luck with it, but thought I would try it one more time.

Got up early to work on the bees again [never ending story once we decided to create our own bee pollination business].

Started with making more boxes, more frames, more covers, more SSB's. I had two helpers for 8 hours so that helped a lot.

Next, we decided to begin the first step on the Nicot so the wife and I created the first two cell builder colonies. Captured the queen, marked her, moved all open brood and eggs and larvae to a top box, put the queen in, and installed a queen excluder.

Next, moved all sealed brood to the bottom box with lots of honey and pollen. We did this to two colonies, hope to do two more tomorrow.

Captured two new swarms today. Moved one to the bee yard. Moved 4 more captured swarms to the bee yard today too.

Began to paint the new nucs, each with different colors in prep for the 2 frame nucs soon to come.

Smoked some fresh lamb that we butchered a few days ago. Sure is yummy.

Watched a swarm in a tree fly away [it had been there for two days]. It headed to the back forest.

Watered two acres of fava beans, one acre of clover.

Watched newly moved in turkeys do their mating routine and now looking forward to seeing lots of baby turkeys in a few weeks.

Did all the updates on an HP computer we just bought for $49.99. It is quick as heck and was a very good deal from Newegg.

Busy day for sure...5.5.18b.jpg5.5.18.jpg

After pretending that I know what I'm doing with a trap out, I hived the nuc that had the queen from hive #2. It was a 5 over 5 deep and only the backside of an upper frame was undrawn. Eight frames of bees. So, not only did they get a full size hive, they have 10 more frames to play on. Hive #4 is my overwintered nuc that got hived last month. Booming with bees. Rotated boxes to get the deep on the bottom, added a second deep, and placed a queen excluder under the medium which has a bunch of honey in it already and some brood. Oh, and I pulled a split off of it as well. Mad scramble in the house trying to locate the frames with wax foundation I had assembled months ago. I don't recall using 60 deep frames so far this year.

During our January cold snap, we lost our two strongest hives, a classic "starved surrounded by honey" situation. One hive and a garage-kept nuc survived in good order.

The full hive is our best option for honey, so when we found four frames of brood in the nuc, we stole two with eggs for a mating nuc. The nuc was set up the previous week to house foragers returning to the garage when we moved the bulk of the frames to a full hive outside, so they're able to bring in the nectar that is now starting to flow. The mating nuc has been moved to a friend's house miles away. She's fascinated with bees and has neighbors with hives, so we will have better mating chances than our isolated valley.

That was two weeks ago, long enough that 3-day old eggs raised as queens could be emerging. She wondered how she could tell if virgin queens were out, and I said it was a long shot, but if she lifts the lid and listens for short kazoo toots above the background hum, that's piping, and should mean queens are present and are calling each other out for a fight.

She just reported hearing the trumpets toot!

We do have drones out now, so this is sounding promising.

The stronger hive has so much brood we added a deep super and are on swarm watch. Both queens are looking fat and sassy.

Page 102 of 118 FirstFirst ... 25292100101102103104112 ... LastLast