Today in the Apiary - Page 123
Page 123 of 132 FirstFirst ... 2373113121122123124125 ... LastLast
Results 2,441 to 2,460 of 2639

Default Re: Today in the Apiary

The few blooms are on the south side of the garage, and they are an early self-seeding species crocus (several weeks earlier than Dutch crocus)—Crocus tommasinianus.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Surrey, B.C. Canada here, near Vancouver. 8a I think, my bees bringing first pollen of year in today. Cream colored and bright orange. Cream I think is Hazelnut and the orange might be crocus. Still have a fair bit of capped sugar syrup honey left over I'll probably take out in the next couple of weeks if it warms up more and use for swarm traps...

Quote Originally Posted by Knisely View Post
    The few blooms are on the south side of the garage, and they are an early self-seeding species crocus (several weeks earlier than Dutch crocus)—Crocus tommasinianus.
    Can this type be bought through a seed catalogue? Thanks, Deb
    Proverbs 16:24

Quote Originally Posted by Cloverdale View Post
    Can this type be bought through a seed catalogue? Thanks, Deb
    Yes. Now is not the time in the northern hemisphere to purchase the bulbs (corms). They can be bought in the late summer & fall. Here is a vendor (https://www.vanengelen.com/flower-bu...es-crocus.html) that I’ve used, and you can seek the same items out on the web as many people/companies sell them. Look for the species names. Crocus Tommasinianus is shades of lavender/purples, Crocus chrysantha is yellow. I’ve found tommies to be easy naturalizers (just don’t mow too early).

Thanks!

"my bees bringing first pollen of year" - I am still about a month away from natural pollen and I am in "Southern" Rhode Island. Today was the first day approaching 50F, actually 47F, so I ran a test. I put a tablespoon of UltraBee protien substitute on each of 9 entrances. Eight cleaned it up and he ninth pretty much ignored it. #9 is engaged in brood rearing right now as I see her hive warming up the others had lots of orientation flights - some really big. I think, have been developed from a nuc last Fall, she is a bit behind in schedule with a smaller cluster / work force.

The surprise was the sugar syrup I put out. It was completely ignored. Could there prefer their own reserves over warm syrup. I have not tried this in late winter before so I was really surprised. I also noted there seemed to be little water foraging going on in spite of a nice day. Comments?

I did the same yesterday; the hives were flying, put out the Ultra Bee pollen and they ignored it; they were flying but not far. Usually they take the whole pile down. Iím thinking it might be too old even though stored in the freezer, or they didnít need it, which surprises me. As for your syrup, it could have been too cold to forage, or they just didnít need it. You nicely put the pollen on their front stoop so they didnít have to go anywhere.

I just went out now all hives flying and some taking the pollen. I think itís the temperature, it may have read 47-50 but the air seems colder.
    Last edited by Cloverdale; 02-24-2020 at 10:40 AM.

I think my eyesight is going to hell. I went through 7 of my hives today, checking stores, scraping endbars, reversing boxes, cleaning bottom screems, etc. Also went looking for queens to do a queenright split in the hopes of having some of the hives produce queen cells. Plenty of bees, brood and eggs to be seen, could not find a single queen. Finally said to heck with it and made a walk away split. About 30% of the time I end up with the queen in the split anyway. We'll see what happens.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Quote Originally Posted by JWPalmer View Post
    I think my eyesight is going to hell. I went through 7 of my hives today, checking stores, scraping endbars, reversing boxes, cleaning bottom screems, etc. Also went looking for queens to do a queenright split in the hopes of having some of the hives produce queen cells. Plenty of bees, brood and eggs to be seen, could not find a single queen. Finally said to heck with it and made a walk away split. About 30% of the time I end up with the queen in the split anyway. We'll see what happens.
    Sorry but I am right with you.

jw
    could not find a single queen.
    Welcome to my world. Not from a lack of trying here and there though.
    Cheers
    gww
    zone 5b

" think my eyesight is going to hell." Well Jim, I think this implies you are getting old. I am told that kids who have never seen a queen can find them in minutes if you show them a pic and give a little explanation. I do not even bother looking anymore. I simply isolate the queen using QE's to one box by observing brood. Then move the box or call for help.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Holcombe View Post
    " think my eyesight is going to hell." Well Jim, I think this implies you are getting old. I am told that kids who have never seen a queen can find them in minutes if you show them a pic and give a little explanation. I do not even bother looking anymore. I simply isolate the queen using QE's to one box by observing brood. Then move the box or call for help.
    That works.

Yesterday, pollen coming in, heavy use of open feed. Today, snowing.
    Gave a hive to someone last August and it died over winter. Took it apart today. Not a drop of honey. Classic starvation. A bit more education next time I give someone a hive.

Quote Originally Posted by JWPalmer View Post
    About 30% of the time I end up with the queen in the split anyway. We'll see what happens.
    Why don't you use the Doolittle method?

Default Spring nucs in S. Carolina

My daughter and I just finished checking for queen releases in our spring nucs. This is our 1st year selling nucs. We have a very short main fliw here, ending in June, so we decided to try and fill a void(early nucs) for new beekeepers just starting out in our area. We'll be delivering nucs before April this year. Goid feeling that all our nucs are already sold.

Michael
    Why don't you use the Doolittle method?
    This was the only reason I bought my one queen excluder. I still have not tried my planned split with it. I know you make your own queens but do wonder if leaving the brood on top of a queen rite hive for a week would get queen cells started in it like seems to be implied in one of doolittles books?
    So far I have just been doing fly back splits on the few splits I have made.
    Cheers
    gww
    zone 5b

Seeing the bees corralling small hive beetles already. Looks like a larger population of SHB for this time in spring than I can recall, reminds me of late June.
    Put some brillo basic reusable wipes on the top bars of the frames in the top box, a 1/4 of a sheet.
    Haven't 'treated' for SHB before now, hope the wipes work and trap a lot of them until the bees are strong enough to handle them without any help.

Results of a warm winter? If so, tick season (started already) and mosquito season should be winners. Not to mention spotted wing drosophila damage.

GWW- Not him, but yes to your question.

Clyderoad
    GWW- Not him, but yes to your question.
    I take your answer just fine and thank you. It would seem a nice way to use several hives giving just a little at a time from each to make splits during swarm season with out completely killing honey production. Brood from some and bees from others and just a little tamp down to the hives being used.
    I think about it every year but am happy with my hive numbers and never do it. I usually do a flyback sometime during the year just for the experience of some kind of split. Maybe this year?
    Thanks
    gww
    zone 5b

Thanks GWW-
    yup. Don't need to see the queen as the brood frames are put over the excluder after shaking the bees off. The nurse bees then travel up to the beeless brood frames to take care of them.
    Could take a few frames of brood (less the attached bees) from a few hives and then place them over a QE on a strong hive so the nurse bees from that strong hive travel up and care for the brood frames.
    Many use this method for swarm control as well as making some increase and getting some queen cells -and all three can be accomplished at the same time in the yard with nothing but a QE, replacement frames for those harvested and a empty box.

Quote Originally Posted by gww View Post
    Michael

This was the only reason I bought my one queen excluder. I still have not tried my planned split with it. I know you make your own queens but do wonder if leaving the brood on top of a queen rite hive for a week would get queen cells started in it like seems to be implied in one of doolittles books?
    So far I have just been doing fly back splits on the few splits I have made.
    Cheers
    gww
    The bees absolutely will start emergency cells in brood elevated above a queen excluder. But in the Doolittle method for making a split, the split...with all the bees brushed off...is only left above the excluder for a short time. Some leave overnight. Some smoke the heck in the bottom entrance and drive the bees up into the split. In both cases, the queen is left below...almost no chance of robbing the queen and having her in the split.

Page 123 of 132 FirstFirst ... 2373113121122123124125 ... LastLast