Today in the Apiary - Page 112
Page 112 of 114 FirstFirst ... 1262102110111112113114 LastLast
Results 2,221 to 2,240 of 2279

Default Re: Today in the Apiary

Today I started my Apiary. I installed two packages.
    ks

installing-bees.jpg

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Chicago_ks View Post
    ks

Congratulations! We all started somewhere!
    http://OxaVap.com Your source for the ProVap 110
    OA Vaporizer. The fastest vaporizer on the market!

ks
    Woohoo, you got BEES!
    Installing your first packages is both nerve wracking and exhilarating. Congratulations.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Quote Originally Posted by Bear Creek Steve View Post
    Soar,

Congratulations! Phenomenal success rate.

Would you provide a brief step by step outline of your grafting process?

Thanks,
    Steve
    No problem Bear Creek!

1. Select the queen you know makes the bee with the qualities you most desire: Prolific layer, excellent brood patterns, excellent overwinter qualities, gentle, yet strong in collection of both nectar and pollen, good mite resistance, etc.
    2. Create a queen cell builder: we have often used the Cloakeboard method. You can find it online in many places. It helps you create queen cells with the least amount of disruption to a colony. A more professional method for monster queens, simply take 20-30 frames of sealed brood with nurse bees, install in 2-3 deeps, and let them be for 10 days, then it is ready. Make sure you add lots of pollen frames and honey too and I still include sugar syrup and pollen sub too.
    3. Graft the 1 day old larvae. I like using normal frames with 14-16 cups per frame [two lines of 7-8 per bar]. Keep the frames you are grafting from and the nuc grafts moist with super damp towels the entire time!
    4. Gently install the grafted larvae now in the cups attached to the frames into your cell builder.
    5. Leave it totally alone, undisturbed for 6-7 days, then gently examine your results.
    6. Move the capped queen cells to the desired colonies or nucs.
    7. Check back in approximately 21 days for eggs.

I highly suggest Susquehanna Valley online Queen Rearing Calendar. I use it EVERY TIME simply because we are doing grafts so often and it is so easy to forget or get lost in the process. With the calendar, with just one glance, you remember exactly where you are in the process.

https://thebeeyard.org/queen-rearing-calendar/

Hope this helps!

Soar

Quote Originally Posted by snl
    Congratulations! We all started somewhere!
    Quote Originally Posted by JWPalmer View Post
    Woohoo, you got BEES!
    Installing your first packages is both nerve wracking and exhilarating. Congratulations.
    That's a big 10-4 on that. All the videos and reading don't really compare to doing it. The feeling of bees walking on my hand when I brushed them off the queen cage to see that she was ok was amazing. They were dive bombing the sugar water. It was a bit of a pain to get it covered without leaving some to drown. The journey begins. Thanks for the words of encouragement.
    ks

Soar,

Fires,

First: Happy Easter to you an yours.

Second: I know how busy you are at this point in your season and I appreciate your taking the time to spell out your detailed procedure. I intend to emulate your success rate.

Cheers,
    Steve

5433C964-C935-44CC-8EF8-055E8E55FC2D.jpg One of the overwintered Mike Palmer queens looking very nice for Easter, all she needs is a big fancy hat. Another hive went queen-less, took care of that, moved stuff around, now it’s time for dinner in a few hours.
    Western Catskill Mountains
    Proverbs 16:24

ks

installing-bees.jpg
    Congrats, the first step is the scary one, now you need to step up and make the decisions your bees will be impacted by. Look into treatment, IPM, and make a plan to follow, keep notes, things often go in a direction and looking back we can try to discern when the turn started. Be ready for 5 ways to do everything lots of way to get where you are going. enjoy
    GG

Looked in some hives yesterday they are brooding up nicely. Looking out the window this morn that darn frozen water was coming down from the sky. Wisconsin weather sometimes I hate it.

Good Man Lovely-pic

I took two splits from my colony that survived winter yesterday afternoon. . I put them in a Palmer style 4 frame divided deep. I gave them caged queens. An Ontario Buckfast and a Caspian queen. That is my third split from that colony this spring. The first one got an Aurea Italian queen. With a nuc that I got on 4/8 that puts me at five colonies.
    Zone 4a

Splits for new queens on Friday, 4 package install on Sunday, queen release check on Thursday, weak hive position swap inspection on Friday.

Started my new commercial beekeeping job today (Saturday). Only stung twice.
    Help is here to never misplace that hive tool again: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTqB0zcmhmQ

Between when I installed my bees on April 20 and today we've had 4 inches of snow and 6 inches of rain, overnight lows in the 40s and highs in the 50s. I have Mann Lake top feeders and the 1:1 seemed kind of funky. I took them off and replaced them with quart mason jars. I found both queens, larvae and capped brood. I didn't see eggs but my eyes are middle aged and I wanted to get out of their way. All is good in my little world.
    ks

Just sold the last of the nucs for the season and caught and marked a bunch of queens. Then I had a swarm lands on me probably due to the queens I had in my pockets. Nothin like a 90 hour work week to make you appreciate the 60 hour ones.
    Kamon Reynolds https://youtu.be/VQ9T1mCo5l4 Grafting Queens

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee's Bees LLC View Post
    Nothin like a 90 hour work week to make you appreciate the 60 hour ones.
    Isn't that the truth.

[QUOTE=MariahK;1276806]I really am not proud of this but as your the only people who will hopefully laugh with me here it goes... "
    with, not at! Why is it always the pissy hive that gets goosed!?!?!

First year student. Here it goes, I installed 3 packages, 2 Saskatraz, 1 carniolin on April 10. I left for work one week later, I returned yesterday. This is what I abseved, both saskatraz hives had 3 frames of bees and 2 frames of brood, the carniolin hive had 2 frames of bees and 3 full frames of brood. I located the Queen in all hives. I live in Michiganís Upper Peninsula. Pollen is coming in, I work a 3 and 3 schedule, 3 week son and 3 weeks off. All in all I believe all is good, only time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill007 View Post
    First year student. Here it goes, I installed 3 packages, 2 Saskatraz, 1 carniolin on April 10. I left for work one week later, I returned yesterday. This is what I abseved, both saskatraz hives had 3 frames of bees and 2 frames of brood, the carniolin hive had 2 frames of bees and 3 full frames of brood. I located the Queen in all hives. I live in Michiganís Upper Peninsula. Pollen is coming in, I work a 3 and 3 schedule, 3 week son and 3 weeks off. All in all I believe all is good, only time will tell.
    Bill,

Did you install on comb or foundation or foundationless, are the frames deep or medium? Sorry, to ask for more detail, but your numbers seem a bit low. Also if not on comb did you feed? All the details matter. Sounds like no feed ,no combs, if that is the case you are doing as expected. I put two packages on comb with some honey they are at 4 frames of brood on one and 5 frames of brood on the other. My packages were 3 pound, am i am a couple hours south of the Mac. Also if the Carniolin really have 2 frames of bees and 3 frames of brood that is bad. really the bees need to cover all the brood. Shy of some details you may want to feed a bit of 1:2 syrup, especially if you are on foundation or foundationless. once the dandelions pop out you do not "need" to feed. It would take 3 weeks to have new bees hatching, you will see a draw down between week 2 and 4, by week 5 you really should see more bees than you started with. Reason being bees die every day and it will be 3 weeks till the first egg laid hatches, the first month is critical. if you have not yet, reduced the entrance to 3 inches, I would, on the hives till they hit 7-9 frames. this will help with robbing and heat retention.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Goose View Post
    Bill,

Did you install on comb or foundation or foundationless, are the frames deep or medium? Sorry, to ask for more detail, but your numbers seem a bit low. Also if not on comb did you feed? All the details matter. Sounds like no feed ,no combs, if that is the case you are doing as expected. I put two packages on comb with some honey they are at 4 frames of brood on one and 5 frames of brood on the other. My packages were 3 pound, am i am a couple hours south of the Mac. Also if the Carniolin really have 2 frames of bees and 3 frames of brood that is bad. really the bees need to cover all the brood. Shy of some details you may want to feed a bit of 1:2 syrup, especially if you are on foundation or foundationless. once the dandelions pop out you do not "need" to feed. It would take 3 weeks to have new bees hatching, you will see a draw down between week 2 and 4, by week 5 you really should see more bees than you started with. Reason being bees die every day and it will be 3 weeks till the first egg laid hatches, the first month is critical. if you have not yet, reduced the entrance to 3 inches, I would, on the hives till they hit 7-9 frames. this will help with robbing and heat retention.
    Sorry I transposed the carniolin #’s, I have all deep plastics foundation frames, I fed 1:1 sugar water. They were 3# packages. I also lived below the bridge, it is a different climate down there.

Ok Bill.
    You did feed so good,, they had what they needed to build comb, it still needs to be built however. Deep 3 frames of bees is like 5 mediums so then that is good math.
    As they are all "similar" I would say you are doing good. next 3 week stint you will likely be good but for the 1 after that be sure to add some space before you leave.
    So what i have found is they "can" double in a month, however I give comb. so in 3 weeks when you next leave they should be 5 or so frames.
    in 6 weeks when you get back, likely you will be at 9ish frames so when you get back certainly check them for space. If you have your first super built it would not hurt to add it before you leave, as a just in case. also when to you head out keep in mind when they are bigger they could fill a super in 3 weeks. Have fun.
    GG
    P.S. when I start a package i do 1st brood box to start them in, then add 1st super, then add second brood box, as you have foundation, there are several ways to do that. then add the second super. If you add the second brood box as the second box they will likely fill it with honey.

Page 112 of 114 FirstFirst ... 1262102110111112113114 LastLast