Today in the Apiary - Page 111
Page 111 of 114 FirstFirst ... 1161101109110111112113 ... LastLast
Results 2,201 to 2,220 of 2279

Default Re: Today in the Apiary

State inspection is required only if you are selling bees or hive components with comb. VA requires a certificate of health to accompany each such sale. I passed with flying colors. 0 mites, no brood diseases.
    So an update on my missing queen, hmmm, ended up in the box that was supposed to be queenless. Very strange because the first frame I put into the fly back box was the one with her on it. Oh well, it will turn out almost as well. Both boxes are drawing comb rapidly. My hives are the first the inspector has seen this year with new frames drawn. I guess that is a good thing. I have about 300 that need it (200 mediums on Acorn and 100 deep foundationless). Still thinking about grafting this weekend. Will post photos of my efforts.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Couple pics and vid of my main hive and what is currently blooming around here in Richmond Va on my farm.

This hive has been sucking down 1/2 gallon of syrup a day. It is a deep and 2 mediums coming out of winter and is quite heavy just to tilt up from the back. I think I'm done feeding this one and will put on a super soon... all three boxes are stuffed with bees.

The red maples and white pear trees don't really show that well in the dark pictures, but they are really starting to fill out and the bees are bringing in lots of pollen now.

IMG_5546.jpg

IMG_5547.jpg

IMG_5548.jpg

IMG_5549.jpg

IMG_5551.jpg

https://youtu.be/igYLcyXIdfQ

Sounds like you've got it well primed to pitch a beautiful swarm.

Quote Originally Posted by dddillon View Post
    Couple pics and vid of my main hive and what is currently blooming around here in Richmond Va on my farm.

This hive has been sucking down 1/2 gallon of syrup a day. It is a deep and 2 mediums coming out of winter and is quite heavy just to tilt up from the back. I think I'm done feeding this one and will put on a super soon... all three boxes are stuffed with bees.

The red maples and white pear trees don't really show that well in the dark pictures, but they are really starting to fill out and the bees are bringing in lots of pollen now.

IMG_5546.jpg

IMG_5547.jpg

IMG_5548.jpg

IMG_5549.jpg

IMG_5551.jpg

https://youtu.be/igYLcyXIdfQ
    All of my opinions and suggestions are based on my five decades of actual beekeeping,
    not so much on book learning, watching YouTube videos nor reading internet sites.

Dddilion where in richmond about are ya?

Don, Ollie is right, I think it is time to split Sun and put Mercury and Venus in 10 frame equipment. Maybe put those supers on to get drawn out. I threw some of my new Acorn mediums in already and the bees really took to them.
    Althea, Don lives in the Montpelier area. We are in the same bee club.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Caught a swarm today earliest for us by far!
    Kamon Reynolds https://youtu.be/VQ9T1mCo5l4 Grafting Queens

The bees were going crazy yesterday bringing in pollen. It was 65 degrees. They all took cleansing flights and apparently dive bombed my wife's car. Cats approve the activity. 54526103_10100613878464452_4474901871374368768_o.jpg54428415_10100613878489402_1562357051852587008_o.jpg

Got out today with my shovel and got a spot 6 feet by 20 cleared of TWO FEET of snow so I could get my bee out of the garage. Forecast for 50 by Friday pollen patties are ready to go on. We need a mild month of weather this winter here was hard.

The last two days have been in the 60's and the bees are really hauling in pollen. Of the 23 colonies I have, there were three that were not bringing pollen, so I dug into them today. Two were queenless and had dwindled to just a handful of bees and the other, I did find a patch of open brood. I added a couple of frames of honey from the other two, and hopefully they will survive.

I was getting a big head thinking that I was going to get through the winter without any losses, but a 10-15% loss if bearable. Hopefully they can survive the next few weeks without upping the percentage of loss. They should make it if the weather cooperate just a little.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee's Bees LLC View Post
    Caught a swarm today earliest for us by far!
    That is unbelievable!
    Western Catskill Mountains
    Proverbs 16:24

first few days of above freezing temperatures around Calgary, Alberta. We had one of the coldest February's on record... I still have more than a foot of snow in the yard, but the bees are inpatient and do cleansing flights ...
    Question - after 6 weeks of super cold weather, and now a few days of just above freezing, what should I expect for spring brood in the hives? I haven;t opened them yet to have a detailed look, I just looked at one that had lots of bees, but I did not see brood. The queen is taking a break? was too cold? when should I see the first spring brood?

I went thru the hive that I thought died and it was dead.

It was still alive in January but it died sometime between then and now. I think the cluster got stuck during a cold spell, was unable to move, and starved. There were still 1.5+ mediums of honey on the hive and I removed about 2 quarts of dead bees (mostly off frames) from the hive. I treated (with apivar) in the fall for mites and the hive was small but seemed to be doing ok after treating. There were a lot of bees with their heads in cells and butts sticking out when I cleaned it out today.

Quote Originally Posted by JWPalmer View Post
    Don, Ollie is right, I think it is time to split Sun and put Mercury and Venus in 10 frame equipment. Maybe put those supers on to get drawn out. I threw some of my new Acorn mediums in already and the bees really took to them.
    Althea, Don lives in the Montpelier area. We are in the same bee club.
    Funny you say that. I did split out of the 10 frame hive into a 10 frame medium on that day. I added extra bees from the 5x5 nucs to pack it out. The nucs were loaded and I wasn't ready to rebox them yet. I wanted to make sure the new split had plenty of bees to cover the brood as there are still cold nights forecaster from that day (mar 16 til next Thurs). After that the nights are staying above the 40s and 50s so that is when I'll re-box the nucs into 10 frames. A bit of a gamble for the split as I hope it's not too early for them to raise a new queen in the new box.

I put the new box between the nucs, and shook bees from the nuc into the new hive. A few days later there were still lots of nurse bees and foragers going into the new box, so that worked well, and the brood was covered well. fingers crossed. I'll check the hive tomorrow to see if there are any queen cells.

I'm going to split the nucs (each one has a 5 frame deep and med) into (1) 10 from medium and (1) 10 frame deep, and add supers on both. Doing this on Thursday, as the night temps are looking much more favorable.

The big hive has a deep and medium brood and a super on it from winter, and it is now full of sugar honey from post winter feeding. I'm going remove that and put on an empty super for real honey, and split those sugar frames between the other three (new split and the nuc updates). I'll mark these frames as sugar so they don't get harvested in the future, and might be able to use them as future split resource food.

... wordy response, but this helped me plan it out by writing it out

We prepared and loaded another 30 nuc boxes with frames. Later today we will add one frame of brood, one frame of honey to each nuc, then tomorrow install the sealed queen cells. Queen cells are scheduled to emerge Thursday and/or Friday, but we often see em' hatch a day early.

Almond orchard owner called and informed us the almond bloom is over and now we can remove all the colonies. Hope to move them this weekend weather permitting.

Hope to do our 3rd grafting of the year today or tomorrow.

Queen builder colonies are cranking out super healthy queen cells as fast as we can graft...so all good news for now...

Weather has been unusual. 22 inches of rain [127% of average] and over 50 feet of snow in our nearby Sierra Nevada mountains...

Fava beans are in full bloom at our ranch...and the eucalyptus trees are blooming too...

Fava 1.jpg
    Last edited by soarwitheagles; 03-26-2019 at 12:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by odfrank View Post
    Sounds like you've got it well primed to pitch a beautiful swarm.
    Well, you called that one right, ODFrank. Major swarm set up.

Main hive is chockablock full of capped and uncapped beautiful queen cells

pulled the queen and some frames and set this as a fly back split.
    the rest of the box is going to be split into 2 or 3 nucs in the next day or two.
    lots of cells in there to get them going on their way.

The 2 overwintered 5x5 nucs are getting upgraded to 10x boxes and will be nominated as the honey production boxes.

wasn't the exact plan I had, but the bee's didn't ask me, it will still work

Yesterday it finally got back up to the 50s but it was overcast and windy. this morning we have some sunshine guess I'll put the patties on today. Still have a foot of snow in the yard

it's been over two weeks and in between we had a good snow storm, finally looked in one hive the one I had put in the closet and we have eggs, it was boosted with bees before the snow storm and given two frames of honey right now it's in a four frame box and doing well. It also had some bees with pollen on their legs. Looks like I'm starting this year with eight hives.
    And the snow is still here but it's melting.

I made my first ever split today from my survivor colony. I gave them two frames of brood, a partial frame of brood and honey , a full frame of honey and a foundation comb in a 5 frame nuc with a caged queen. I had a few drones and saw my first pollen. It was bright yellow. This is fun!
    Zone 4a

Feeling kind of exhausted...honeybees keeping us super busy due to spring growth...

Boxed 6 swarms last week.

Building massive numbers of tops, bottom, and boxes.

Keep making more swarm traps and hanging them.

Created 16 new nucs today, will install q/c tomorrow.

Getting everything ready for 100+ grafts on a weekly basis and making many, many, many more nucs.

Transferred 19 five frame nucs with freshly mated queens into large deeps. We experienced a 19/20 success rate with the first graft of the season.

Second graft/nuc is a 28/28 success rate.

Not sure what happened, but the first grafting back in March appeared to be 100% failure rate...I gave up on them. But two days ago, we opened everyone of them to install frames of brood and and sealed Q/C's. Was shocked to find laying queens in 19/20 of these nucs. Have no clue how this is even possible.

Soar,

Congratulations! Phenomenal success rate.

Would you provide a brief step by step outline of your grafting process?

Thanks,
    Steve

Page 111 of 114 FirstFirst ... 1161101109110111112113 ... LastLast