Today in the Apiary - Page 118
Page 118 of 118 FirstFirst ... 1868108116117118
Results 2,341 to 2,344 of 2344

Default Re: Today in the Apiary

Gave the hives and nucs another OAV treatment this afternoon. Weather is great and the bees were flying hard although there ain't much out there as dry as it has been. Tossed another 20 gallons of 1:1 (100# dry weight) on the hives earlier this morning. Found one nuc that had been robbed out, dead bees all over the floor. The robbers were navigating the robbing screen like they had been doing it all their lives. Probably had. I have the same screen on all my nucs and there is a good chance it was another nuc that did them in. This particular nuc was much weaker than the rest having only a frame and a half of bees at last inspection. Did have a fair amount of brood so I had hopes. Oh well.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by JWPalmer View Post
    Tossed another 20 gallons of 1:1 (100# dry weight) on the hives earlier this morning.
    JW:

Good update- sorry to hear about the nuc failure. I was surprised to read that you are still feeding 1:1. When do you typically switch over to 2:1 in your locale?

Beeks with light hives should have already switched in my area. Most of my hives are already at or near desired winter weight. Because it has been so dry, I chose to stay on the 1:1 hoping that the bees will use the excess moisture to their advantage. I am also trying to keep some brood rearing going as I may still need to boost a few of the other nucs. The one that got robbed out was supposed to get combined with another nuc that failed to have it's queen return. When I went to make the combine last week, I found that nuc had gone LW and I did not want to risk the queen. Sometimes things do not work out as planned.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Because it has been so dry, I chose to stay on the 1:1 hoping that the bees will use the excess moisture to their advantage.
    JW:

Thank you for clarifying- I appreciate education.

Sometimes things do not work out as planned.
    I wonder if we could vote this in as the unofficial motto of beekeepers everywhere?

Page 118 of 118 FirstFirst ... 1868108116117118