Today in the Apiary - Page 115
Page 115 of 117 FirstFirst ... 1565105113114115116117 LastLast
Results 2,281 to 2,300 of 2324

Default Re: Today in the Apiary

Quote Originally Posted by elmer_fud View Post
    My big hive with a data logger on it is going crazy right now. It is gaining about 3 pounds/day right now. I have the stack sitting at 1 deep and 6 mediums, and I need to add another super.

Attachment 50127 Attachment 50129 Attachment 50131
    What is the name of your data logger? Thanks, Deb
    Western Catskill Mountains
    Proverbs 16:24

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

I found a charged queen cup in a centrally located honey super. The cup was near the top of that frame but not on the edge. The frame was newly drawn white wax, did not see any sign of any brood having been raised in that frame, and it had at least one full capped honey super above it and below it. I inspected the rest of the hive and found eggs, larva and capped cells, and room for her to lay, no other charged cells anywhere. I’m guessing here, but could it have been laid by a worker for whatever reason?

Quote Originally Posted by Cloverdale View Post
    What is the name of your data logger? Thanks, Deb
    It is a homebuilt system. It is very loosely based on one that Sparkfun made several years ago with a lot of changes and additions.

It looks great, easy to read etc.

That data logger idea sounds fun. Maybe you can do a post about it.

Don't have bees yet, but I see them going to town on the sunflowers today and especially this morning. The activity died down when the heat came out after around 12-ish (not exact). And the best activity seemed to be around 8 to 11 before the heat set in. Some of the sunflowers had 4 or 5 bees on them at a time, and it was neat to see them going at it. (But not all of them were apis mellifera. Some were some kind that looked like 'midget' apis mellifera but like 30% of the size and length.)

Quote Originally Posted by hagane View Post
    That data logger idea sounds fun. Maybe you can do a post about it.
    I will try to make a post about this later when I have more time to do a good writeup. That hive stack is now at 360+ lbs and still gaining about 2 lb/day.

Last night something really interesting happened.

I was using a jigsaw to cut up a bunch of lumber for making a cheap tripod. I must have sawn through maybe a dozen cheap throw away beams that had the thickness of old 2 by 4s. And the wood was kind of worn and easy to split, (possibly a redwood mix?)

Anyway, where I'm going with this is that I was only there a few minutes and had accumulated a really big pile of saw dust. And just like that all the sudden there's two big bumble bees flying around the sawdust.

I found this quite interesting. They were attracted to the sawdust for some reason. (I guess some big bumble bee types are attracted to it.)

So my theory on this is that maybe some bumblee bee types in nature probably have their behavior ingrained genetically to seek out woodpecker holes in wood, or other types of birds when they hammer into wood and old trees to make nests that its very possible the bumble bees or even other types of bees may be attracted to the saw dust smell because of this type of nest seeking behavior by following where birds went?

Curious what others thing.

(I still think honey bees are more interesting than the bumblee bees by far still.)

And on the sunflowers in my yard, I've been seeing all kinds of bees going after them, not only honey bees. Some are a much smaller vee, sometimes bumble bees, and others. I'm puzzled also why the honey bees are going after cucumber blossoms, pumpkin blossoms almost more than the sunflowers right? Could it be they don't like the competition with the other bees and went to the least guarded stuff?

I also forgot to mention this...it was odd. 3 days ago when I was checking on the garden plants, I saw what looked like two honey bees sting and kill each other in a large pumpkin or squash flower blossom. I meant to try to get a picture of it but when I was trying to get something for it the sprinkler came on and washed it away before I could snap a pic. But I do remember that the second bee of the two that were killing each other over nectar ...didn't quite look entirely like a normal honey bee. (It wasn't a wasp, but looked a bit different. Not sure what it was.)

I was using a jigsaw to cut up a bunch of lumber for making a cheap tripod. I must have sawn through maybe a dozen cheap throw away beams that had the thickness of old 2 by 4s. And the wood was kind of worn and easy to split, (possibly a redwood mix?)
    any chance they were some sort of carpenter bee?

And on the sunflowers in my yard, I've been seeing all kinds of bees going after them, not only honey bees. Some are a much smaller vee, sometimes bumble bees, and others. I'm puzzled also why the honey bees are going after cucumber blossoms, pumpkin blossoms almost more than the sunflowers right? Could it be they don't like the competition with the other bees and went to the least guarded stuff?
    I have seen this also with my sunflowers vs other plans. I have wondered if the honey bees do not have long enough tongues (wrong name, but right idea) to easily get the sunflower nectar so they go to other plants that are easier to get to. I have seen bees of various varieties everywhere from about 3/16" long to big bumblebees that are near an inch long. I have seen at least 5 different varieties of non honeybees at my house, and there are probably more.

Started mite rolls today, got 4 done with 2 hives zero mites (one a Mike Palmer queen) the other an overwintered Sas. hive, and 2 swarms from last year 6 and 3 mites. I checked the weather and it said a high of 79; Used FormicPro and now itís 84!!!!!

Yesterday I lost a queen I had just marked, how maddening to see the yellow dot flying around me as she orientated. It was very frustrating and nerveracking! Today, she found her way home. My wife and I were so happy!!!!

any chance they were some sort of carpenter bee?

I have seen this also with my sunflowers vs other plans. I have wondered if the honey bees do not have long enough tongues (wrong name, but right idea) to easily get the sunflower nectar so they go to other plants that are easier to get to. I have seen bees of various varieties everywhere from about 3/16" long to big bumblebees that are near an inch long. I have seen at least 5 different varieties of non honeybees at my house, and there are probably more.
    My knowledge of bumble bees and carpenter pees is pretty limited. Its very possible you are right. Sorry I don't have a better answer.

It seems like honey bees really like sunflowers though?

Yesterday actually. This is my first year with bees. Two packages on Good Friday. One of them I killed the queen when I was centering the frames in the brood box. Bees roared and I didn't know what it meant. The hive went laying worker before I knew what was wrong. My eyes aren't good enough to see eggs. So I shook that hive out some weeks back. The other hive filled two deeps full of honey and swarmed, all in three weeks. I found that they swarmed three weeks ago. There were six swarm cells so I left three in the hive and moved three to the empty hive I shook. I roughly split the bees between the hives. Yesterday I found capped brood and larvae. I guess I'm going to have to figure out magnification to see eggs. The problem is worse with one veil over another.
    ks

My yard is being taken over by wasps.

Today a family member and I decided to go to war against them. If I don't make it back, you'll know what happened to me.

We got some wasp killer, and some duct tape. The wasps are nesting inside an old school hollow iron T section clothesline from way back in the day. We're covering the openings with duct tape when the wasps are unaware and while 'hit and run' to avoid getting stung. The war effort will concentrate on sealing the little buggers alive inside buried alive.

We had to pause because they got all riled up. I'm hoping to finish tonight when they are unaware or asleep.

The little terrors have been messing with my garden and chewing up the leaves.

Yesterday also we put out a was trap made from a 2 liter soda pop bottle, with apple juice and bacon inside like others showed to work. But for our yard for some reason its not working to trap them that way because there's too much delicious garden plants that they can smell.

Quote Originally Posted by HeadofMeadow View Post
    Yesterday I lost a queen I had just marked, how maddening to see the yellow dot flying around me as she orientated. It was very frustrating and nerveracking! Today, she found her way home. My wife and I were so happy!!!!
    Yellow dot? Just poking fun. I marked a queen with a white dot two months ago while waiting for the green paint pen.

And on the topic of doing things in a less than optimal manner, circumstances required that a virgin queen that emerged two days ago be placed in a nuc this evening. So, grabbed a nuc, took it to the apiary, pulled three frames of bees and brood from another hive, and set the cage on top of the frames. No interest by the bees. Good, opened up the cage and let her walk in about 10 minutes later. I can think of about six things that should have been done differently. Did I mention it was raining?
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Quote Originally Posted by JWPalmer View Post
    Yellow dot? Just poking fun. I marked a queen with a white dot two months ago while waiting for the green paint pen.
    mine are all green because I think it stands out better than any of the other colors

mine are all green because I think it stands out better than any of the other colors
    Mine are always blue - same reason.
    LJ
    A Heretics Guide to Beekeeping http://heretics-guide.atwebpages.com/

And on the topic of doing things in a less than optimal manner, circumstances required that a virgin queen that emerged two days ago be placed in a nuc this evening. So, grabbed a nuc, took it to the apiary, pulled three frames of bees and brood from another hive, and set the cage on top of the frames. No interest by the bees. Good, opened up the cage and let her walk in about 10 minutes later. I can think of about six things that should have been done differently. Did I mention it was raining?
    Pretty cool!

Thanks for telling us about it. Its fun to hear about playing with the bees. What color was the queen? And what type? (Yeah, yeah, someone will say it won't matter, but thats the fun part.) Hope more people post their bee playing scenes.

How long do you think it will take for this nuc to take off? And how does the queen act? Did she try to avoid you? Is she a peeper? Does she move constantly?

I keep wondering if the number of guard bees also is any indicators of the resilience to survive of a hive?

I don't know why I said yellow, maybe it looks yellow as it flashed in front of my eyes I meant green, well Greenish yellow . I will be introducing some virgins this weekend although the weather looks good for it. Hope your virgin finds some nice strong drones.

You know your bees like propolis when you need 2 hive tools at the same time to pry boxes apart because the first one starts to bend before the boxes move.

This was my experience with a few boxes on one hive yesterday. My hives are getting ready for winter even though they still have capped drone cells.

I always have a few that want to swarm in august so I make a few new queens with the cells. Only need one to requeen a hive so I'm swimming in queens right now. Just might have to bust up that hive into nucs so I have some place to put them to over winter.

Page 115 of 117 FirstFirst ... 1565105113114115116117 LastLast