Today in the Apiary - Page 36
Page 36 of 120 FirstFirst ... 2634353637384686 ... LastLast

Default Re: Today in the Apiary

2 full size hives look good with eggs being laid and a few bees bringing in pollen already, a light rusty red. A quick inspection in one reveals at least an 8 frame medium of honey stores still remaining and a good amount of bees. 4 nucs look fine enough, but one has a smaller cluster. Nice calm day in the mid 60's.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Mid 60's today, with gusty winds. The bees were very active- some were carrying a light, orange/yellow material in their pollen baskets but I'm not sure it is pollen this early in the year.

As well, the girls look very healthy- big, well developed bees with nice coloring. They are dumping trash (small amounts of wax crumbs) out on the landing board and I've seen some orientation flights. I know that half the battle of over-wintering them is now over, with the hardest part (spring build up) yet to come, but I just can't help but to be excited. I had uncertainties about this queen's health/age due to her laying pattern last fall and because she was obtained from a small June swarm I trapped. All I could do for her was treat for mites, and keep the feed on until November. Apparently, it was a good call- so far.
    Year 2 Zone 6a

Record breaking 73 today, conducted a hive inspection on all eleven hives, all beginning to grow. Average two frames with brood sealed and eggs visible. The workers were very busy today bringing in bright red and yellow pollen, lots of pollen stores and plenty of honey in the hives. I always heard don't count your eggs till they hatch but these look the best I have ever had hives this time of year. Hoping for a booming year. A few maple have started blooming.

Today I was at the western pa beekeeping seminar. Nice temperatures in the sixtys. Bees flying nicely.

image.jpg
    The girls are busy. Added a deep of foundation to my 1.5 story hives on Thursday. They started drawing wax last week on a few frames I added as a test. Hope they don't swarm before they draw. This hive has 4 frames of capped brood. 2 up and 2 down and 4 more open brood (2 up 2 down)

Quote Originally Posted by Bee Nut View Post
    They started drawing wax last week on a few frames I added as a test.
    nice! do you have a feeder on, and are you seeing drones yet?
    'no wise man has the power to reason away what a fool believes' - the doobies

Drones were emerging Thursday, already a good many out. One hive had a full side of just drone as well as 4-5 frames of workers.. I do have a feeder on and have been feeding just enough to keep them going but not so much that all their frames are full.

understood. it's interesting that even though we are about the same latitude your bees are about a month ahead of mine. i'm guessing that you are about at sea level and the ocean moderates your weather a bit, compared to me being inland and at about 1400' asl.
    'no wise man has the power to reason away what a fool believes' - the doobies

You hit the nail on the head. It's also been milder than normal the entire winter. It was 82 on Christmas Day.

i checked my 6 hives today , all have loads of bees, small brood patches , little patches of eggs and larva , but boy were they bring in the pollen , color light white/yellow witch seams to be maple tree. but 1 hive has like 7 frames in a 10 frame deep box any were from 1/4 to 3/4 full on both sides with pollen . why so much ? should i take some out to save ? or will they use it to ramp up later ? its all ready well populated .

First let me start by saying there are much more qualified people on here to answer your question however, I'll give it a shot. If there is so much pollen that the queen doesn't have room to lay, then switch out a frame or two with empty comb. Pollen is used for brood rearing, so it is very important for spring buildup but being pollen bound can be detrimental to the hive. My suggestion is keep a close eye on it and swap out a frame or two if the queen doesn't have any open comb. Also, if you don't have any empty comb and the bees are still bringing in pollen like that, then it may be worth adding a pollen trap to help slow things down until they can draw some comb for you.

66 degrees today with very little wind. Went into all 5 hives today... Last time I was in them I (Mountain camped) sugar on top of 4 out of 5 hives. One of them had visibly more stores than the others so no sugar went there. In 3 of the 4 the sugar was gone. I don't know if they ate it or carried it out but I put more down just in case. The last hive I opened had not touched the sugar or the news paper it was poured on. Kind of puzzling... There appeared to be good activity in the hive so I didn't pull any frames which would have dropped a lot of the sugar down through the hive.

I found laying queens in 2 of the hives with some brood already emerged and larvae in all stages. I expect to have found the same in the hive that still had the sugar on it from the level of activity noted. In the other two hives the upper brood box was still all capped honey. No room for a queen to lay if she was in the mood to do so. Thinking of swapping a pollen frame from one of the building hives with a honey frame from one of the slackers. Getting really concerned about starvation with them building up this fast in February. I haven't done any thing that I thought would encourage early brood rearing. Hmmm.... Where is that search bar????

Mad pollen, all clusters looking better than when I put them down.Mild winter. Boy oh boy. I have my hands full.......................
    The Bees are the Beekeepers

It was a marginal 47 F at mid-day, enough for some quick checks and feeding. The bees were out, not bringing in any pollen, but working the compost heap with enthusiasm. The favorite garbage seemed to be egg shells, banana peels, and ... this one really has me wondering ... coffee grounds.

Of the three hives, we knew last October that one of them was unlikely to make it. It didn't. I opened it to find about 3 dead workers on the frames, another two dozen on the screened bottom, and the queen, all alone on one frame. There was no cluster. I'm guessing the proper term for this is absconding. Stores were light but I've suspected it was being robbed out for the last couple of months.

The rest seem OK, and one of the nucs really needed some room. We popped them into 8-frame boxes as quickly as we could. The frames were quite stuck together and I was happy to move them in pairs. I suspect there was some brood in one of the pairs. Their numbers, activity, and behavior says they're raring to go. Stores are still quite good. We gave three hives some sugar bricks but doubt they needed it.

I sat by my hives yesterday watching the bees come and go. They are bringing in a lot of pollen and nectar right now. I have to get in there today and possibly reverse hive bodies on my large hive. It's supposed to be close to 70* today, so it will be a good day to check. My last peek in the top box, they have too much storage in honey/syrup where brood is supposed to be but a lot of eggs from the queen. Hopefully raising all of the brood used some of the syrup up, giving the queen more room.
    On my 5th year with bees, 2 hives.

We're back on the front range weather roller coaster. A long warm spell melted most of 3 months of accumulated snow. Then we got a fresh blanket overnight - just 2-3" so far. It's supposed to rebound into the 60's again within a few days.
    After 40 years of beekeeping, I've come to realize that the bees can fix most of my mistakes.

Removed 3 messed up cross combed frames from my hive, cleaned up the cross comb, and managed to get 4 frames back in. Playing hive cleanup from previous absentee beekeeper. Making progress

Also added some mixed up pollen/honey from a hive removal and put it in an entrance feeder for them.

...going today to look to see if walk away split has queen cells or a queen. This is day 14 since the split, haven't been able to go since then. Saw a dead drone and some dead brood being hauled out of the split w/ the queen; I hope its not a problem develping. They seem to be doing well though at last look. Titi beginning to bloom at the southern location. Need to add a deep to the hive I want to make honey with this year. The other 3 hives I think I'll do splits until I get too busy w the crops.

Did it. Several queens hatched. Took one frame out that had at least a queen in a cell. I could hear her piping. I put it in a nuc, and pulled a honey frame from another hive then a frame w pollen. Took it to the southern location. The hives at the farm are not doing as well as the ones in the southern location. There's much more blooming there. I think I may bring them all down here. It was a clear, 60s cool day. The hive w/ the hatching queens were mean today. Bet I got stung on the wrist 10 times, once on the ear. Had nitrile gloves on but no cuffs, I'll do better next time. I didn't expect them to be so aggravated and the other hives weren't.

It's a beautiful, calm, sunny afternoon, in the upper 50's. There are bees coming & going from every hive - even the little 5 over 5 nucs. They actually look marvelous. There are few things as pleasant, this time of year, as sitting and watching thousands of bees, coming and going - knowing they all made it through the worst of winter. Come to think of it - I'm heading back out, NOW!
    After 40 years of beekeeping, I've come to realize that the bees can fix most of my mistakes.

Page 36 of 120 FirstFirst ... 2634353637384686 ... LastLast