Today in the Apiary - Page 31
Page 31 of 120 FirstFirst ... 2129303132334181 ... LastLast

Default Re: Checked an outyard today :)

It looks like the secret to winter survival/buildup is the heat/insulation,,,,and not being afraid to start early.....Like pollen patties in feb and making queens when there is snow on the ground---YIKES---and of course genetics...I'm going to have to get cracking if im going to make a go at this next month....I've been pondering what I have to do this year to increase production/population....this is wworth a try....thanks for the link!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think I found buried in the site the "secret" to his great success ----something called "The Caspian Solution" I don't know exactly what it is but it might be a stimulant or maybe an inoculant to fix unbalances at the microbial level...I don't know, I'm just spit-ballin here
    I can do the hive manipulations but this additive is outside of my understanding and Im wide eyed/eared in reguard to it. I've seen some discussion on additives but it all seems very dark and behind the curtain,,,, so I'll just stop there and wait for more info %}

==McBee7==
    Last edited by McBee7; 01-22-2016 at 02:38 PM. Reason: additional info under the line

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

-16C (3F) here this morning. Hopefully the Arctic Outflow will keep the Nor'Easter well offshore. Our forecast looks clear for the weekend, and we're looking for +7C (43F) on Tuesday, so the girls should be able to do a bit of housekeeping. Any day I don't have to clear snow, it's a good one.
    So far, this looks like a more normal Winter, unlike last year, when we were in the grip of a Polar Vortex for almost 3 months.
    I want bees that make up for my mistakes.

The latest vortex slid east of us and we missed out on all the severe cold & most of the snow. We're headed for the high 50's today. My new Ferguson (Canadian) Buckfast hives were the most active fliers yesterday. It almost looked like spring, except for all the snow on the ground . 'Snow tomorrow, then another gradual warm up.

Buckfast bees overwinter well. GNOR - do you have access to any other European Buckfast lines?
    After 40 years of beekeeping, I've come to realize that the bees can fix most of my mistakes.

Spent most of the day building screened bottom boards from some cedar 1x4's that I have had for several years. I used the dimensions from a Brushy mountain screened bottom board and built one to see how it worked then cut up enough material for 9 boards. Hopefully that will see me through the year. Maybe tomorrow I will build as many top covers.

I plan to purchase my hive bodies and supers from one of the suppliers because I am afraid of what kind of mess might happen if I have too many bee space violations.

I am heading into my second year with 5 hives (I hope). Hope to have all 5 building up in spring and add 5 more from feral swarms. Hive equipment gets cost prohibitive so I am attempting to cut costs as I am able.

Snow on the ground and 15 degrees tonight. Should be back in the 50's for highs in a few days with 60's in the long range forecast.

Nice day today. Mid 50's and not raining. The bees are flying and bringing in at least 2 kinds of pollen.

Popped the tops on my backyard hives to check on the sugar bricks. One hasn't touched theirs and the other has almost finished, so I gave them some more. Both appear to have honey stores, so all is good.

Default Re: Today in the Apiary

65 degrees, sunny and no wind. First good day after a lot of rainy days in a row. Added pollen paties and sugar bricks today. Lots of hive activity and orientation flights.

The storm is gone. Got 20 inches I expect. Cleared the entrances on the hives I could get to. by afternoon there was evidence they had done some housecleaning. The other yard I think are high enough to be free of snow, but would like to clear the entrances anyway. They should all have adequate ventilation from the top, but still. Perhaps I will be able to get in there in a couple days, daytime temps are forecast to be mild for a week at least. G
    The Bees are the Beekeepers

Popped lids today, it is sunny and clear, might get up to 60 today. A week ago or so, I'd seen pollen coming in on all hives, freaked me out, I did not expect to see that kind of activity from ALL hives. So, today I tipped lids and split boxes when needed to see what was up.

Back December 15 I had put on sugar patties and Apivar strips. I put in all the Apivar I had, which left 2 hives with no strips. Today I saw that those 2 hives probably are not going to make it, they have less than 1 full seam of bees. One is Michael Palmers queen the other is one of mine. My conclusion is that if I don't treat, here in my location, the bees won't make it.

Of the other hives, the ones that had gotten sugar patties in mid December looked better for the most part than the ones that did not get it. Only two hives had not eaten much of the sugar yet, the rest were almost all gone.

I mixed up sugar patties today and put on ALL hives. This is my mix:
    5lbs sugar
    1/2 cup Mannlake BeePro powdered pollen sub
    8oz Apple cider flavored vinegar
    Mixed it up in a Large SS Dish-pan with a potato masher, and put on all hives, on top under the lids using a feeder shim.

Most hives had 2 - 4 seams of bees, I'm thinking 4 may not make it. I'm going to work on a method of varroa control this year that will do me better for this location. Apivar does not do well enough, last year was the second year I've used it, so time for a change. I'll check back in on them in a week or two and refresh the top sugar/pollen cakes as needed through the first of March.
    Live real time bee chat, most evenings...
    https://www.rumbletalk.com/client/chat.php?4%40HY_hmJ

For the last 2 days it's been low 40's here- just high enough to prompt the girls to do a bit of house cleaning.

I'm seeing about the same thing I've seen since winter set in, very small amounts of mostly small or very young bees left out on the landing board or ground. On the extended forecast, it looks like 2 days of low 50's for this weekend, so I'm going check their weight and possibly take a quick peek under the cover on Sunday.
    Year 2 Zone 6a

Beautiful day here in Sonoma county. It made it to 61F, the warmest it's been for many weeks and both hives were really humming.. It's the most bees I've seen in the air since last October.

They're bringing in pollen like crazy. It looks like they're stocking up for quite a party. I dunno where they're getting it but they've got at least 2 flavors and lots of it.
    I was going to buy them a couple of pollen patties to help them get started this spring, but it looks like there's probably no need for that.

Temperature is rising to +11C and the bees seem to have done some cleaning yesterday, they are flying and I found dead bees on the ground in front.
    Picked up some and tomorrow I will look at them through my microscope.
    I still hear all hives but since they moved to the bottom box I fear they started spring breeding.
    Which is too early.
    Or not?

Got up in the 50's today here in West Kentucky. 11 of the 12 hives looked like Mid Spring with the ladies taking cleansing flights, clean out the hive flights and hauling water. Good to see after some nights in the low teens this past week. One dead out which I expected. Two five frame nucs stuffed full of bees looking great and taking sugar blocks like crazy. Looking good with maple buds swelling and the two week forecast looking promising. Just hoping no more teens this season. Ready for spring and back to beekeeping and being outside!

Got up to 63 today in Arkansas and my bees look fat and were bringing in a pale gray and a bright yellow pollen.IMG_20160128_110336.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by SiWolKe View Post
    Which is too early. Or not?
    When is your first pollen?

60*s today, and a foot of snow from "Winter Storm Kayla" should be here in a day or two. Our typical "Calm before the storm".

Spring is on the way... 'Haven't lost a single hive to the winter of '15-16, YET...

Our first pollen usually arrives in the next few weeks - early February. Multiple cold snaps often turn the natural pollen flow on and off. Here we go again!
    Last edited by Colobee; 01-30-2016 at 01:47 PM.
    After 40 years of beekeeping, I've come to realize that the bees can fix most of my mistakes.

Got up to 70 today, bees flying like crazy, bringing in some pollen (light yellow, gray, and greenish-gray), carrying out the dead that have built up during the last cold spell, and some house cleaning in general. I hope to walk around tomorrow and see how the red maples and elms are progressing. Must be a few blooming nearby, possibly some alders too.
    "Sometimes the best action, with bees, is no action at all."

Quote Originally Posted by GaryG74 View Post
    Got up to 70 today, bees flying like crazy, bringing in some pollen (light yellow, gray, and greenish-gray), carrying out the dead that have built up during the last cold spell, and some house cleaning in general. I hope to walk around tomorrow and see how the red maples and elms are progressing. Must be a few blooming nearby, possibly some alders too.
    Wow I'm 300 miles north of you, we got to 65 today, I expect we will be seeing something coming in within the next week. Sure hope our extreme cold is over. Keep us updated, looking so forward to spring!

At ten o'clock this morning it was 50 degrees. Both back yard hives were flying.
    Now the snow has moved in with a vengeance. That's Colorado for you.

I have all my nuc boxes ready to go for this year. Two days of painting, but all done. We had temps above 55 yesterday and the girls were cleaning house. Today we are forecast to have temps above 65. The Maple buds are swelling so things should start picking up soon. They are bring in light white, light orange, and dark orange pollen. i have sugar water out in the yard, but they have yet to touch it. My other bee yard is the same situation, but they are on the sugar water like crazy.

Page 31 of 120 FirstFirst ... 2129303132334181 ... LastLast