Today in the Apiary - Page 61
Page 61 of 131 FirstFirst ... 1151596061626371111 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,220 of 2616

Default Re: Today in the Apiary

I spent my whole day assembling and repairing beehives for another colony to be split this week. Thank God for the productive day! good day ahead!

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

I spent my whole day assembling and repairing beehives, preparing for another colony to be split this week.. good day everyone.

Went in to check on the nucs today. 1st nuc is a split and they raised a queen. Saw her on the 2nd frame and was really running which I thought was odd. Wait! 2 frames later, HERE is the queen they raised who really is laying a beautiful pattern. The 1st queen is a virgin who just came out of a supercedure cell found on the last frame... I caught her and put her in a queen introduction cage and put her in a Russian hive where yesterday, I killed a queen who had it coming all season. Nastiest hive I have ever had. I went in to inspect it yesterday and immediately 500 bees went for the veil. Within 2 minutes, I bet there were 1000 bees on me. Expecting a feisty greeting, I had put on thick pants, a bee jacket and nitrile gloves. Good thing...I went into the bottom deep, found the queen and ended her reign. She had to have some really stinky pheromones as that hive was getting worse every visit, tho' never like yesterday. I put the queen introduction frame in the hive just to give the new queen (not a Russian) a bit of chance. They bees were better tho' still testy again today. Being virgin, they did not seem to care much about her. I'll see how she is tomorrow and release her if she survived.
    11 yrs, TF 6 yrs, moved to OAV in 2014, MAQS 2016. 6 hives and 5 nucs Zone 4B
    www.nhbees.wordpress.com

I mentioned last week that my brood boxes were full but they did not seem to want to draw wax in the supers. I had stopped feeding 1 : 1 in July because of how fast they were breeding.
    So last week it was recommended we started to feed again. We provided about 8.5lbs each day for each hive. Every day I go back they are completely empty. We have golden rod blooming then as now. Do I continue to feed?? That's 150 pounds of feed in the last 6 days for 3 hives.
    Also, I am finding queen cells with larva in each hive. Wondering where I go from here?

If they have stores, you don't need to feed them. It sounds like you may have fed them too much and now they want to swarm. See if the queen has any room to lay or is the broodnest all filled with syrup/nectar now?

Well, it was technically yesterday... Visited my purchased outyard of bees, 16 hives total. Went through them all checking on queens and mites. Mite pressure is definitely taking it's toll, one hive was down to nothing, PMS induced EFB present. Probably should just write them off but I dropped in some Apivar and see if they can pull through. Identified 3-4 hives that actually looked very good still though, will have to do a sugar roll or something. Interestingly enough, one of them I identified as a possible breeder earlier in the year just based off worker bee phenotype and uniformity. They were probably the best looking hive if I recall correctly now and I did make a walkaway split a couple months back and got a nice daughter out of it. The other 11-12 hives definitely need some treatment or they'll be collapsed in a month so will have to grab a bigger pack of Apivar to take care of the issue. Other than that they look good in preparation for fall. On the flipside, most of my other bees are looking much better in terms of mites so perhaps some progress has been made in getting some tolerance and I have 3 queens from Fusion Power getting evaluated so it's been an exciting year.

Does any one else have Queen going through their head as they count the mite death toll post OAV treatment(s)?

It's the third treatment, but I'm not liking the tool. The bees attack it scattering crystals, and it fries a few bees. I have one hive that is not standard which needs to be lifted* and the sides plugged before I can slide the tool in. So last night I modified a shim, and covered the tray where the crystals go with some screening and tried to treat from above. I had hard blackened crystals ... I'm thinking the next step is to modify a soup can with a hose coming out one end which can be fed into a hive.

*Ever held something in place and you weren't sure what was moving, you or the thing you were holding onto? That.

Quote Originally Posted by redindiaink View Post
    Does any one else have Queen going through their head as they count the mite death toll post OAV treatment(s)?

It's the third treatment, but I'm not liking the tool. The bees attack it scattering crystals, and it fries a few bees. I have one hive that is not standard which needs to be lifted* and the sides plugged before I can slide the tool in. So last night I modified a shim, and covered the tray where the crystals go with some screening and tried to treat from above. I had hard blackened crystals ... I'm thinking the next step is to modify a soup can with a hose coming out one end which can be fed into a hive.

*Ever held something in place and you weren't sure what was moving, you or the thing you were holding onto? That.
    If vapping from the bottom bothers you (and the bees), Vap from the top down! Make a 2 inch rim with a slot in it for the Vap. Place a 4x4" 1/4" piece of plywood on the top frames. Place the Vap with OA on the plywood, cover with rim, cover all with inverted top cover and vaporize! Same results top or bottom ... Dead mites.
    http://OxaVap.com Your source for the ProVap 110
    OA Vaporizer. The fastest vaporizer on the market!

Several hives were doing some washboarding this morning. It would be interesting to know what that means.

Quote Originally Posted by snl View Post
    If vapping from the bottom bothers you (and the bees), Vap from the top down! Make a 2 inch rim with a slot in it for the Vap. Place a 4x4" 1/4" piece of plywood on the top frames. Place the Vap with OA on the plywood, cover with rim, cover all with inverted top cover and vaporize! Same results top or bottom ... Dead mites.
    Thanks snl. That's what I did, though I went a step further and took a piece of window screening tacking it down it the wood to keep the bees out of the tray. I think what happened is the oxalic bubbled up and was trapped by the screening. *oops* Live and learn.

Adjusted 2 story nucs yesterday. These were all made up during the first half of July. Some not drawing their foundation well, so I pulled the plug on that and replaced any un-drawn foundation with comb. They're certainly strong enough, it's just something that happens some years. The flow ends and the bees can't draw comb. So, rather than wait until the fall flow is finished, and hope the bees were able to finish the job, I made the decision to do something, now.

Back to extracting.

Grandma bee, now in her third summer, got an ambush makeover today. Her original lavender dot was nearly worn off. We dug out the green paint and re-marked her in the correct color for her year, but she'll still be known as the Lavender Lady.

During the inspection we admired her brood pattern. The old girl is really laying it down. Her girls have packed the attic of her nuc with solid capped honey, so we gave them a medium super in case they want to make some more.

Next nuc over is her cousin Georgie, just obtained from our favorite breeder in King George county a few weeks back. She's established and doing a fine job, although not yet on par with her older relative.

After a brutal freeze in May that killed much of the usual spring flow forage, we thought the year was kaput. However, some of the hives are putting on weight since July, and it is more than they could get by robbing. We've always had lots of wildflowers available in summer (right now there is mountain mint all over the place, and earlier it was common milkweed). But what we've just noticed is that there are not nearly as many bumbles competing for it. We're wondering if the May freeze starved the native bees but our bees had the stores to get thru, plus we did feed some.

Reached 37C today, it feels like walking into a furnace every time I open a door. I went to see how the bees are coping with the heat and found a clump of drones huddled at the entrance on the far side of where all the traffic is coming and going. Between that, and finding quite a few dead drones in front of the hive this AM, I wonder if the hives are starting to kick the boys to the curb as we head into autumn. Pity.

Might be one of the happiest rookies there is. First inspection of this month, all was well no eyes on queen but eggs present so no big deal. Within a few days I started to try and make some DIY SHB traps to no avail. Went digging around again and had found queen cells. My eyesight aint good enough through a veil it seems. Could of sworn they were occupied with maggots or jelly but today I went to check on them. Those cells no longer exist and there are only empty cups dotted around. No eggs, hive extremely aggressive, was certain it was queenless until I accidentally saw my queen on the next frame! Marking paid off.

Pretty sure the lack of eggs is from them syrup-binding themselves. Noted; feeding is now done. Just tried to get them to draw out the super so I'd be ahead for the April blackberry and clover flow but we'll manage. The waxed deeps I put into the brood boxes are still in the process of getting drawn and now that it's getting late, no point in making them work on something I'll have to take off for winter. SHB population is up as is up as is.
    Last edited by Zephyr; 08-20-2016 at 03:56 PM.
    5 lang hives with Italian X queens
    Pre-Veterinary student at Uni of Arkansas

clear and low 80's today, perfect for working with hives.

OK, last month I'd sold 3 nuc splits with the queens, and 6 queens to someone that had more resources to use the genetics in his operations. The splits left behind, were seven of them. That was on July 10th. Then on July 14th, I made 3 more splits by moving queens away into nucs. I've been checking in on them for a week or two and things have not been looking good, but today I got out and went through all hives and splits. I'm happy to report that 9 of the 10 splits failed. Yes HAPPY!!! 22 hives were getting to be too much work and I'm so glad now that I'm down to 13 hives with all drawn comb now so no more feeding! Even 13 hives is at the upper limit of what I want to play with here, but I'll be able to manage them much better now.

A couple to three weeks ago, around the timing of queens going on mating flights, I saw a wall of dragonfly's twenty feet out from the mating nucs. I was worried then, and yes, it looks like they got a few queens. Three or four queens did make it back, but there are no drones in my yard and I'm guessing no drones in the area and all laid a small patch then failed. Most just failed and made a queen cell, one failed and the hive turned laying worker. The laying worker hive I moved to the other side of the house and the rest weren't laying worker so I swapped frames from them with drawn combs into hives that still had combs needing to be drawn. So now down to 13 hives, all combs drawn, feeder on 6 of them and that's the end of feeding here now for a few weeks at least as all are heavy with stores.

I now have 7 with queens of my stock, 4 with queens of Michael Palmer's stock, and 2 are queens from Fusion_power here in the forums, and all are looking good right now. Very happy. I have one or two that are a little shy of bees, but not by much. Time will tell how they look in a month. The bees are slowing down, backfilling and slowing brooding for the winter already, even here in my location. It's been hot here the last two months also, and in pretty much a dearth, so all the queens have slowed down. All hives are now in 8 frame single deep boxes and packed with stores, whoohoo!

Quote Originally Posted by RayMarler View Post
    there are no drones in my yard and I'm guessing no drones in the area and all laid a small patch then failed.
    good report ray. i haven't seen a drone in going on a couple of months now. our spring flow ended early and we've been under drought conditions ever since which is why i believe there are no drones. i recently had to shake out a couple of established hives that had become queenless over the summer and i'm guessing the lack of drones played a part in that.

Quote Originally Posted by squarepeg View Post
    good report ray. i haven't seen a drone in going on a couple of months now. our spring flow ended early and we've been under drought conditions ever since which is why i believe there are no drones. i recently had to shake out a couple of established hives that had become queenless over the summer and i'm guessing the lack of drones played a part in that.
    Yes SP, I've noticed here over the years that queens need to be mated by first to middle of June. July through August queens just don't do well here if at all. I'm thinking it's lack of drones in the dearth. I have noticed that last of September through first of November there will be drones back around, but just not near the numbers of them that were in the spring.

Clear and 90F today

OK, this morning I was out in the beeyard talking about goats to a friend. We noticed a small swarm of bees in the yard. Watching them, I saw they went into an empty stack of boxes on one of my stands. I went out this afternoon and made them up a box with drawn comb and dumped them in, and moved away that stack of boxes they'd swarmed into. I must have missed seeing a queen yesterday when I did all the work swapping frames around and joining bees into the 13 good hives I had. So, now I have 14 hives, all in single 8 frame deeps, all with drawn comb. I put a feeder on this one boxed swarm today, and will go give it frames of stores from other hives that are a little overly heavy for this time of year in a few days.

When I was in my bee yard today, I saw a not-so-dense cloud of bees flying around in the distance. I walked up to them and followed them as they settled on the back of one of my hives. They were a very small number of bees (probably only a couple hundred bees), I hope its not a virgin queen afterswarm. I put them on some drawn comb, I wonder if I'll be able to do anything with them. Atleast its a free queen if I need it. (and it looks like I might)
    Somebody forgot to give my bees a copy of the book.
    Zone 6B

Found wax moth larva on a deep frame I pulled from the brood chamber about a month ago. Not sure how the moths got in the house, where I thought the equipment would be safe from pests, or if they were already on the frame when I brought it in, but it went into the freezer. Then I took a look at the hive it came from. It's healthy, booming and there's no wax moth damage to speak of.

I also noticed they've managed to fill six frames in a honey super I gave them in mid July during a clover flow. A swarm in June is worth a silver spoon ... indeed. The colony started out as an artificial swarm in mid April, filled a double deep by mid May and swarmed in early June. I wasn't expecting anything from them this year; I stuck the super on there to deal with a booming hive I'm not sure how to manage - heh.

ps: And I saw drones emerging from some cells.

Page 61 of 131 FirstFirst ... 1151596061626371111 ... LastLast