Today in the Apiary - Page 126
Page 126 of 135 FirstFirst ... 2676116124125126127128 ... LastLast
Results 2,501 to 2,520 of 2689

Default Re: Today in the Apiary

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyfan_019 View Post
    ............ Looks like I'm going to have to look for plans for those screech owl boxes though too, now that I don't have any guineas to worry about.............
    Here is a link to the Screech Owl House plans that I used. It was a pretty easy build, and the mounting plans made that super easy. I'm also going to try to upload a photo of the one that I built. I've since painted it a dark flat green.

https://feltmagnet.com/crafts/screech-owl-house

Screech Owl House 1.jpg
    I need to go back to work. This being retired is working me too hard!

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Anybody else sick of snow on their hives? Winter Storm watch for southern Iowa for today.Be Gone Nasty Weather! Bees need to be flying.

+1 was snow on the ground the last 2 days, It may open up with some intense swarming, warmish winter, less than normal flight time, who knows.
    I have been itching to do spring inspections, still do not have the weather to break the seals. ANd stuck at home so over ready to do something. Anything.
    GG

I guess I should be happy with drippy rain, a couple of very light flurries, high humidity and occasional SUN! But! My bee sare bringing in nectar, pollen and trees are about to bloom, some have. Garlic is up, rhubarb popping through, Dandelions showing, and Daffodils are blooming - just tryin to cheer you up! Your turn is next.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Holcombe View Post
    I guess I should be happy with drippy rain, a couple of very light flurries, high humidity and occasional SUN! But! My bee sare bringing in nectar, pollen and trees are about to bloom, some have. Garlic is up, rhubarb popping through, Dandelions showing, and Daffodils are blooming - just tryin to cheer you up! Your turn is next.
    Thanks I needed that! I’m hoping that all this cold weather and snow means no frozen apple/fruit tree blooms.
    Proverbs 16:24

70 degrees and blue bird sky here in the Heart of Dixie, just saying
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by WaverlyBees View Post
    70 degrees and blue bird sky here in the Heart of Dixie, just saying
    Dan, you're a bad person... :-) This time of year I do envy the South. Not so much in July and August.

Been 20s to 50s here, with off and on light snow. In between the bees are flying and the maples flowering. Supposed to have more 60s days next week.

beehive cam in the snow 16 apr 2020_n3.jpg

we got about a foot of snow here, my hives are sheltered so there is not as much on the front of the one that I put a camera watching.

Quote Originally Posted by Cloverdale View Post
    Thanks I needed that! Iím hoping that all this cold weather and snow means no frozen apple/fruit tree blooms.
    Yes same here. Last year we lost all our cherry blossoms due to this kind of weather, and apples were somewhat affected as well. Some plants were starting to break dormancy this year, and then boom, the cold comes roaring back, ugh
    USDA 6a, 8 frame equipment

We seemed to have missed this snow this morning, just cold rain. One more week of of days <50 and nights<35 then it looks like 60s and 40s, finally. But we have had some 60s mixed in. Forsythias are blooming, dandylions are starting to pop, this year looks like a week earlier than 2019. Lots of pollen coming in when they are out.

Hives still wrapped with candy boards (they've gone through all winter & pollen patties and have added more sugar every 2 weeks) with quiltboxes on them. Hope to reconfigure next weekend when we have consistent mid 60s starting, and get OSBN frames in. Two hives and the NUC look normal sized, but one is really busting with girls, that one will will want to swarm, no doubt. All over wintered with OAV only.

Good luck all!
    Mike

Am just outside Richmond, we are about 10-12 days away from heavy flow, the tulip poplars are rdy to bloom, extra supers are on am just hoping the weather cooperates.

My day in the apiary started out ok. Painted a few nuc boxes I made last night and sold a nuc to a member of my bee club. Replaced the nuc with a split from a hive that had turned around from a drone layer to worker brood. (I think the drone layer got superceded.) So far so good. Later I was watching activity and realized it was time to remove the entrance reducers, some serious traffic jams starting. Get around to the nucs and noticed no activity at one nuc. Opened it up and was greeted by a bunch of bees that were hardly moving. Saw piles of dead bees on the bottom board. Put the frames in a quiet box, and saw that there were no stores in any of the comb. Feeding jar was empty. Dumped out the dead bees and put the frames back in with a filled feeder. Some acivity after 15 or so minutes. Saw a few bees on a brick on one of the other nucs. One of them was a queen, a marked queen, with a blue dot. I only have four in the yard. Lousey time to not have my queen clip handy. She flew off. Found the nuc she came from had been robbed out also. Pile of dying bees outside the hive and more dead bees inside. Bummer. Cleaned out the bees and refilled the mason jar feeder. Robbers came back. Shut them in and will see how things look tomorrow. All the nucs have robber screens so not sure what else to try. Waited for the queen to return but no luck. Will most likely combine the two nucs and add two frames of bees and brood from another hive. C'mon tulip poplars!
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

My posting here a few days ago outlined how we did a 3-way split from my one very strong hive, with some very able help from Goat Man. I'm pretty new at all of this. Today my neighbor and I did a good inspection of all three hives to check on the results. The original hive was still fine, and now that the queen has some makeup on, she was much easier to find.

The main split we did was furnished with a new, caged, mated queen. She's been released and accepted, and we were able to find her and get her marked as well. The third split consisted of a couple of frames of brood and fresh eggs, a lot of workers, and some frames of stores. We were delighted to find one of the brood frames now had eight capped queen cells on it. Of these, we left three alone, and carefully put that frame back in the nuc and closed it up. These queens should emerge in the next two or three days, and if everything goes well, we should be seeing new brood in about three weeks I think.
    image12.jpegimage15.jpegimage20.jpeg

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelCfffg View Post
    ... now that the queen has some makeup on, she was much easier to find.
    Good looking queen there, Michael.

Way to go on the splits- before long, you'll have more bees than you know what to do with...
    Ecclesiastes 11:4

Quote Originally Posted by JWPalmer View Post
    C'mon tulip poplars!
    Sorry about your woes, JW. I've never heard about nucs getting robbed out when equipped with screens. Have you tried the old white sheet trick over the top?

Sounds like you all are near to being into your main flow already?

Russ

Quote Originally Posted by Litsinger View Post
    ..........before long, you'll have more bees than you know what to do with...
    I've got mixed feelings about that. I'd like to be successful with three or four strong hives, but don't want to be overwhelmed either. I've got a couple of friends who want bees, but after that we'll have to see. It will all depend on just how successful this turns out to bee. Scary and exciting at the same time!

Michael
    Nice dark queen. Bit different color then most I have seen in my hives though I don't see many queens even when looking.

Nice cells too.
    Cheers
    gww
    zone 5b

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelCfffg View Post
    I've got mixed feelings about that.
    You know what they say about the best laid plans of mice and men... glad everything is off to a good start for you. Having a good mentor is a real plus.

Some what non related to bees. But I am getting some windbreaks in this week.
    I see the fed Ex shipping info that shows my tree order comes today, so some shovel work needed for a day or 3.
    800 or so trees, white pine , norway spruce, larch, a couple peach, a few blue berry. a couple apple, a mish mash of several kinds.

Ironically the 22nd is also a important day for tree planters.

The first Earth Day in 1970 mobilized millions of Americans for the protection of the planet. On April 22,1970, 20 million Americans — 10% of the U.S. population at the time — took to the street, college campuses, and hundreds of cities to protest environmental ignorance and demand a new way forward for our planet. The first Earth Day is credited with launching the modern environmental movement.

Also seen my first dandelion yesterday,, Drones soon follow. so 3ish weeks till first split, and swarm catching.

as I look out the window light snow......

GG

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Goose View Post
    800 or so trees, white pine , norway spruce, larch, a couple peach, a few blue berry. a couple apple, a mish mash of several kinds.
    How big are these trees? It would take me more than 3 days to plant 800 trees

Page 126 of 135 FirstFirst ... 2676116124125126127128 ... LastLast