Today in the Apiary
Page 1 of 28 12311 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Today in the Apiary

I will stick this thread at the top so we can have sort of a beekeepers diary. It will be neat to look back in time, in time. Share what work you did, observations, stories about things that happened in the apiary. Musings while you have your morning coffee while watching the bees. Let's see where this goes.

I checked a new swarm that moved into some empty boxes I had stacked about 5 days ago. Saw the queen when I transferred them into a new hive with frames of foundation. They're building comb, but filling every cell with nectar/feed. No eggs. Will have to put a frame with eggs into it right away.
    Regards, Barry

Default Re: Today in the Apiary

I made a split for my Harbo breeder, opted to do in a push in cage, should've just stuck with a standard introduction... going to be a nervous wreck this week!

Okay, Today I put slatted racks on my hives, and put MAQS in all three hives. What a PAIN!
    Honey supers were on, had to take them all off, 2 each on 2 hives and 1 on the third. Gave myself a fat lip while adding a third super to one hive. Grabbed super, turned and moved to put it on, ran into the hive with the empty super at lip level, guess the hive was taller than I thought. Only got stung once, when a bee got under my thumb.
    Really not looking forward to next Friday, when I have to take everything apart again.
    Well, next year I'll know to treat before I put supers on, I'll oxyvap next year, since MAQS has to be consistently above a certain temp.

My split hive swarmed. Day of infamy for me.
    John

Had a virgin queen fly out of my hands. Oops.
    Feeding early patties. https://youtu.be/bUDd3vk7bgY

Went into my two recently installed packages with the intent of manipulating frames to get more drawn comb. Found a couple queen cups in the hive that had the most capped brood.

With these two colonies I intend to experiment and understand a few things i have been reading about, hoping to split both into nucs mid-summer with an ordered VSH queen and to catch a swarm or two and to go into the winter with 4-6 colonies for a growth next spring.
    -- Joe
    "Make your own decision and embrace the consequences." -- jwcarlson

Checked on eight new hives and filled feeders. Did an inspection on one where the queen was questionable, never did see her, but plenty of new eggs. Love these new bees, very mild mannered. No smoke, no veil, and not even a head-butt from them.

"two recently installed packages" Wow! You guys get started early. It was 13F the other morning. It's still 2 months for packages around here. Last year I saw the first pollen on March 19. I also have a nursery near me

One hive that didn't buildup well is queenless. Going to combine w other hive.

Business is booming at my one and only hive. We are finishing up a huge flow of black locust and the bees drew out comb for, and filled, an entire medium box in a week, and are now working on another box.

(this is in Nassau County NY, not Vermont--I beed to change my location.)

Was going to check hives but didn't due to rain... lol this is going to be a very interesting or boring thread. Heh

Today on a whim I decided to check my #1 hive , which has had problems with re-queening since it was split from my original on 4/8 . On Monday I gave them some brood and eggs , since they were very defensive and I saw no sign of a queen . Today there were fresh eggs on a frame that's been in the hive for quite some time . This gives me 4 hives with mated and laying queens now , all descendents of the original dark Russian I got last year in mid-June - this queen would be her granddaughter , she came from an egg laid by a daughter of the original . Today was a very good day in The 12 Acre Wood Apiary .
    Retired wannabee Hillbilly Farmer in backwoods Arkansas
    Our biggest crop is rocks ...

I walked by a box of 100 frames that need to be assembled.
    Nobody ruins my day without my permission, and I refuse to grant it...

I'm glad I found this thread. I installed seven packages the week of May 12 to 15. One absconded so there are now six hives. I gave them only foundationless frames...I felt that was a bold move but they seem to be drawing nice comb regardless.

Today I pulled some frames from one hive for the first time. I'm new so I'm not sure what I'm looking at but I'm not sure I saw much brood. I saw what looked like a lot of nectar. I didn't get pictures of the capped cells, working alone and not wanting to have the hive open long.

IMG_20150529_155545.jpg
    Brad - 3rd year - 120 colonies - small commercial operation
    https://www.facebook.com/FaithApiaries

I checked all my hives today, lifted every frame for a look-see. I couldn't identify even one queen, I still need to learn that skill. The comb is still fragile so no flipping frames around. I saw what I think is capped brood but I'd like some advice on that, can you please tell me if that's what this is?

DSC00001.jpg

DSC00007.jpg

In your first photo you can see the difference between the capped honey at the top and the capped brood at the bottom. The honey is lighter and flatter than the brood, which, in these photos, is yellower and domed.
    Nobody ruins my day without my permission, and I refuse to grant it...

Congrats on finishing the frames Barry. Im going to do it tonight. Added boxes to my 2 production hives, they are still filling fast, filled 3 supers so far each, it will slow down soon. Checked and saw a virgin has been mated in one of my splits,she is laying a great pattern. added a box to another split, Moved 3 nucs with ripe QC's to mating yard. Hive that was drawing foundationless up, has straightened it out after 2 interventions, looks great now. Good day, mighty hot. G

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Digman View Post
    In your first photo you can see the difference between the capped honey at the top and the capped brood at the bottom. The honey is lighter and flatter than the brood, which, in these photos, is yellower and domed.
    Thanks Barry!

I think I know why my Italians are lagging behind in honey production. When checking on mite drop today, I stood there and watched the comings and goings on all three hives. I noticed some bees going into the Italian hive, that did not look very Italian No robbing going on, nor fighting of any kind, I think my Italians may have swarmed awhile ago, and I never noticed The Italian Queen was not marked, but I may be able to tell if it's the same one. Some of the bees I saw today looked kind of like some of the feral bees I've seen at my water trough, and, at the pollen feeding station I had out in Feb/March. Looks like if they did swarm the little suckers ignored all my swarm traps I had out. Oh well....
    So far everything else is okay, Hive #1 is still dropping a lot of mites over 100, at least, the other two maybe 20 - 40 on the entire sliding board.

60 deg and drizzly decided it would be a good day to mow in front of the hives without much disturbance

Page 1 of 28 12311 ... LastLast