Today in the Apiary - Page 91
Page 91 of 125 FirstFirst ... 41818990919293101 ... LastLast
Results 1,801 to 1,820 of 2490

Default Re: Today in the Apiary

This afternoon I sat watching as the drones came out for cleansing flights (?). Loud and clumsy they were LOL.

They have been doing this every evening, around 3pm till dusk.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Yesterday, prepared a starter hive for Carni queens. This time we decided to install the sugar syrup. This evening, we yanked open a Carnioloan nuc that has a brand new, super productive Carniolan queen. This nuc is filled with eggs and larvae and so many bees, it will soon be time to transfer to a 10 framer or risk an imminent swarm. So we grafted from this nuc because we are so happy with the new queen. Decided to graft only 16 of the one day old larvae. This nuc appears to have an abundance of RJ in every larvae cell, but I still wish I had fed them some sugar syrup for the last few days...

Did not finish until dark, and the Carni's got really ticked off. Stung me good due to one exposed area. Their sting hurts considerably more than our other bees. I did not wanna use smoke due to grafting.

I will leave this nuc with the grafts for 24-36 hours per UofArk advice, then transfer to a super strong queen right hive with a QE.

JRG, I have 5-6 really nice new queens if you need any. I made a queen bank and for now, they appear to be doing just fine.

If you are not interested, please let me know! Then, anyone in the greater Sacramento area, I have a few new virgin queens for free...not Carni's, but appear large, strong, and healthy.

PM me if interested.

Up, up, and away!

Transferred the Carni queen cell builder frame into a super strong hive after locating and locking the queen up under a QE. Most of the cells had build up on them.

I have recently discovered that grafting one day old larvae is actually incredibly simple and easy to do. What a nice discovery!

Getting ready to release the new virgins after leaving them in queen banks in various hives. Ruth recommended we simply make up some small nucs, coat all the bees with powdered sugar, and install the queen! We're gonna give that a try too.

We fell behind on our checking of nucs schedule. Normally, we always check the new set of nucs on the 30th day. Just haven't got the time right now. Hope to check next week, hoping we will continue to bat 100%!

Still seeing large numbers of drone comb/larvae in a few hives...but I think that is a good thing as our queens will be needing to mate again. I think most of the drones are being created on a few monster teeth frames...so I discovered we can motivate a queen to lay drone by manipulating the comb. Nice discovery indeed, this late in the year...and still no drones getting kicked out of our hives yet...

Now need to find time to build 40-50 new ten framers.

clear and sunny, 85F in the beeyard

Checked through the hives.
    Of the 5 mating nucs, one looks queenless, one has all four frames with eggs/small larva. The other three are good with laying queens.

One hive was queenless, so joined the newly mated queen right nuc next to it, into it. So, I nuc'd the queenless hive with a new laying queen nuc.

One full box split had eggs the area of a silver dollar, so she's just getting started.
    The other full box split looks queenless, most likely.

One, maybe two other hives have been slow to get going so far.

I'll be doing probably 3 joins in a few days or by middle next week. That's good, I'll get the numbers down to 10 hives. Will probably be less than that by November.

Making syrup to feed five that looked dry.

I just came in from the bee yard again, I went out and joined a failed mating nuc in with the single box hive next to it that could use a boost. Sprayed the bees in both and shook the bees out of the nuc right into the top bars of the hive next to it.

I've now got a game plan for the three remaining newly mated queen nucs. One of them I'll be shaking into a failed single box split, and with the drawn frames freed up from today and that last shake in, I'll upgrade the two remaining nucs into full boxes. Planning on doing this within the next few days or the start of next week.

Nucs, nucs, and more nucs....and nope, we do not live in North Korea!

And yes, we need to walk to each tree to check the nucs...but heck, only needed to look once in the last 30 days...and best part of all, with all the walking and juicing I lost 17 lbs. So JRG, you were right...the juicing and working hard with bees does indeed work well! Only drawback is...if I continue to shrink, I may need to purchase all new bee suites...not a bad problem at all!

Still batting 100%. Each nuc has a wonder and amazing new queen and laying eggs like crazy!

But I must confess my non non-treatment free sins...last week we began to add Keith's wonderful bee pollen sub.

Enjoy!

B1.jpgB2.jpgB3.jpgB4.jpgB5.jpg

Some more miracles...

And now it is time to start building many 10 framer boxes, lids, and SSB's.

Thanks again everyone for making this work!

B7.jpgB6.jpgB8.jpgB9.jpgB10.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by soarwitheagles View Post
    Some more miracles...

And now it is time to start building many 10 framer boxes, lids, and SSB's.

Thanks again everyone for making this work!
    Actually Soar, Odfrank really prefers 8 frame hives after I talked him into trying them.
    My opinions are based on whatever OD Frank says because he thinks he knows everything!

Found out today that my best hive swarmed. Brought it on myself when i fed syrup and pollen sub a couple weeks ago. Knew they were backfilling some and thought i could get them up in a third box. They wouldn't draw and at the same time this was going on a big field of soybeans went on the menu. I stopped feeding a week ago and got a frame or two of drawn comb up there but it was too late. Still a decent amount of bees, but not like before, it was packed.

Can't say i didn't see some signs of this coming. Just thought the bees would work it out. That was a dynamite queen. Pulled 3 splits off it this year and it was a purchased nuc in May.
    Took 3 frames of brood with nice cells on them and brought home tonight, added a frame of nectar/capped honey to each, another partial brood for one, and made two mating nucs.

Hoping i can get at least one of the nucs to make a queen and for the parent hive to come out swinging. The parent hive is now just a double deep with some drawn comb for room this time.

Ouch. I feel for you, cbay.
    Somebody forgot to give my bees a copy of the book.
    Zone 6B

It's getting warm again, yesterday was well over 100F by late afternoon, today is going to be hot again, and continuing for a week by the forecast.

Cleaned up feeding jars, replace all seals and most rings, dumped out syrup and replaced with a new batch. I had fed some Walmart Great Value Sugar the last 2 rounds. The syrup had a brownish tint to it and the bees seemed to resist taking it, so today I emptied out all the jars and fed C&H sugar syrup, which has a very pale yellowish tint. I suspect the Walmart sugar is not as well refined and contains more molasses in it, but that's just my suspicions. Too bad, I used to use that sugar all the time with no problem, and no brownish tint, and it was a bit cheaper... But no more Walmart sugar for me, which is a bummer as now I've got one unopened 25lb bag of it in the spare bedroom.

Bee hives are dwindling in population numbers somewhat. Partly it's the time of year, partly it's the lack of flows, partly it's the breed of bees. But, Mite levels are always higher this time of year as the queens slow brooding since first of July, and they are a major contributor to late summer and fall dwindle. I'm still debating on whether to treat or not, but I'm thinking now that I will in a week. Once these jars get emptied I'll be checking through to see just what's up in each hive, then treat and feed again.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie B View Post
    Actually Soar, Odfrank really prefers 8 frame hives after I talked him into trying them.
    Charlie,

You seem to always come up with the better ideas! I especially have enjoyed your ant proof hive stands and still make them to this day.

I am glad to hear you could help Odfrank out in this all important area of hive box sizes...

We are at 107F today...dang...I wanted to work on the bees but no way in this type of heat. Anyone know if this type of heat will effect our virgin queens mating flights? And how about our queen building cells? Will we be ok? Weather models predict triple digit or near triple digit for the next week straight...wow, what a way to end August and step into Sept.

Contemplating cutting up 50+ new top covers with a vent hole and a feeding hole because I was thinking of feeding syrup to all hives to build up before the fall...Not so sure I should do this. But I would like our queens to keep laying eggs and the bees to keep building comb for a few more weeks.

I only found a couple of hives with significant mite build up, but still thinking about hitting all hives with the OA vapor just to be sure.

Finally, need to build 25+ more boxes, lids, bottoms to place the nuc colonies in. Then, we would like to transfer small numbers of bees into the empty nucs and install our new virgin queens in our first attempt to overwinter small nucs with new queens...busy, busy, busy!

Soybeans are in full bloom and the bees are bringing in pollen like crazy. Treated the hives with Apivar and was pleased to see that the queens are still laying full bore. The Russian hybrid I got from Kelly is doing real well and has made up for the hive being queenless for a month. Almost ran into a swarming problem, the split I made back on Memorial Day was busting out of it's 10 frame deep. Did not have another deep so ended up putting on a medium super I had extacted last month. So much for that nice white comb. Going to try a late summer walkaway split next week and two more with purchased queens.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

108F in the bee yard. It's 6:30pm
    Walked out to see feed jars, they all are half empty so the change in syrup is good. Hope not too much damage was done by feeding that bad sugar syrup the last two times. Lesson learned... if the bag doesn't say pure cane sugar on it then I'm not buying it.

Hi everyone. Just checking in. I should read this thread more!

Working for a little while on a batch of Hush Honey. Strategic strategery in deployment throughout the neighborhood. Any useful or experiences in this arena are appreciated.

Nuthin but a 8oz. jelly jar with some nice chunks of comb and filled to the rim with honey. A little note from the ladies and a pink ribbon tied in a bow. 8 or 10 of these should keep things running smoothly, and I met a few folks I needed to.

HushHoney.jpg
    2nd year with bees. 3 Top Bar hives in my back yard.
    Zone 5b/6a. 'Crackpipe' OAV.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie B View Post
    Let me clarify Charlie's incorrect bragging. I currently manage two topbar hives, about 8 Warre hives, twelve 12 frame Jumbo hives hives,over 21 ten frame jumbo hives, over eleven 8 frames that do not belong to me, maybe ten 8 frame hives of my own, and well over one hundred 10 frame hives of my own and for others. Plus a bunch of four frame medium depth queen mating nucs and an assortment of other hives. Oh, and seven mini mating nucs whose queens mated this week.
    I started making 8 frame hives after 40+ years of using other size hives and it had nothing to do with "Charlie talking me into it".

I first made apiaries of 8 frame hives for clients because that size seemed to be the "in" size for hobbyists. And these clients were in areas that a smaller hive seemed more appropriate for. Then I made a complement for myself to properly manage my clients hives, such as having backup hives for winter losses. And to service my new queen rearing undertakings with Dr. Bob. As an senior citizen whose body has been weakened by 27 year's of MS, I am also smart enough to recognize that the lighter boxes will be easier for me to manage in my golden years. I feel that larger than eight frames hives are better hives for maximum honey production and reduced swarming. Charlie is the kind of person who only feels good about himself if he has put down his associates and taken credit for things he doesn't deserve to get credit for. Please forgive him his trespasses. Otherwise he is a charming gentleman.

Quote Originally Posted by odfrank View Post
    Charlie is the kind of person who only feels good about himself if he has put down his associates and taken credit for things he doesn't deserve to get credit for. Please forgive him his trespasses, he is a charming gentleman.
    No associates, just you!!!
    My opinions are based on whatever OD Frank says because he thinks he knows everything!

Mid 90's and clear in the bee yard today.
    Marked the most recent 6 queens that are now mated and laying well. One is a scrawny but well shaped queen that is laying great egg pattern and the sealed brood pattern is good as well. One has a little bit of odd shape to her, but she's just started laying so maybe she'll lengthen out some. The rest of them looked great as far as shape and size.

Fed 10 of the 12 this evening at dusk.

One of those 6 queens I marked is being superceded. I noticed the queen cell a couple days ago, but left it and marked the current queen. Today I saw the cell is being thinned on the tip. It looks like an overly large cell, it may be that it's not a viable cell. The current queen looks good, so they may abort the new cell. Time will tell the story.

I did more equalization management today, including moving hives as well as swapping frames between hives. In the process, I upgraded the last three 4 frame nucs into 8 frame single boxes. I'll check back early next week to see how things are looking.
    Live real time bee chat, most evenings...
    https://www.rumbletalk.com/client/chat.php?4%40HY_hmJ

Page 91 of 125 FirstFirst ... 41818990919293101 ... LastLast