Cost of 3# package of bees in 1949

Default Cost of 3# package of bees in 1949

A current thread inspired me to browse through an old beekeeping journal of my father where I found this line item from the spring of 1949.
    100 3# packages (w/queen I assume) purchased from Jackson Apiaries. Price ???????
    Get your picks in. Answer coming at 7AM Monday 10/14

Hint: Total honey and wax income from Approximately 1,000 hives that year was just over $6,500
    Last edited by jim lyon; Today at 06:38 AM.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Cost of 3# package of bees in 1949

$1.25

I was only two yrs. old at the time, so I don't recall the real price, but I'll guess $2.29.

Mr. Google tells me that the average family income in '49 was $3100. Pretty lucrative business that gets you twice the average income. So each hive averaged $6.50...what a pound of honey costs today. Seems like a lot of work for $6.50 per hive.

My guess is $350 for the hundred packages.

Quote Originally Posted by loghousebees View Post
    Mr. Google tells me that the average family income in '49 was $3100. Pretty lucrative business that gets you twice the average income. So each hive averaged $6.50...what a pound of honey costs today. Seems like a lot of work for $6.50 per hive.

My guess is $350 for the hundred packages.
    Just for the record it was a partnership of 2 brothers so their joint income was pretty close to the mean.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

I suspect supply and demand pushed prices down shortly after the end of the war. Hive numbers were at all time highs and now sugar was no longer being rationed. Couple that with a relatively large order and my guess for the lot is $175.00, or $1.75 per package. I was too high the last time so figured it couldn't hurt to low ball this time.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.