Today in the Apiary - Page 117
Page 117 of 118 FirstFirst ... 1767107115116117118 LastLast
Results 2,321 to 2,340 of 2347

Default Re: Today in the Apiary

Did an OAV yesterday after clearing the sticky boards and heavily oiling it to try to stop any other insect from eating any mite fall.
    Got home from work this afternoon and checked the boards....1 mite.
    I dont know what to think. I'm pretty sure they couldnt have been eaten but....

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

That is excellent! Best count is after 3 days, but a 24 hour drop would have shown a whole bunch if the hive was infested. I really like how fast-acting OAV is.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

It's been a while since I posted. Did a lot of helping other beekeepers this summer. Made a few queens to many for myself gave away a bunch of them to friends that needed them. had a bear reach over my fence to knock over a hive. It only got to eat one box that had mostly the honey for winter. Right now doing a little combining of hives taking brood from some that are to strong to boost some nucs that were made late. It's been awfully wet here had a week of rain that stopped the goldenrod flow. Met a guy in the bar that had bees a few years ago he said if you can get bees through the winter in Wisconsin you'll be a millionaire didn't have the heart to tell him plenty of people do it bless his heart. My bees are looking great this fall didn't get much honey but I made a lot of splits to.

Spent the weekend combining weaker hives to get them ready for winter. Needed to give some queens the hive tool test and then got a call from my brother and law who needed a queen! What are those odds! Its always sad to be shutting down the yard for winter.

Moved 2 likely looking 5 over 5 hives down to my City Island Bee yard - Hoping the extra 3-4 weeks of warm weather allows them to build up for winter. My awesome little Russian mutts were hauling tons of pollen within 2.5 hrs of opening up the hive after the move, the Sask hive was still doing mainly orientation flights lol.

Saw a worker dragging a dead drone out and flying away with it. Getting to be about that time. First frost around here is usually late September.

Quote Originally Posted by AR1 View Post
    Saw a worker dragging a dead drone out and flying away with it. Getting to be about that time. First frost around here is usually late September.
    And today saw a worker dragging a struggling drone away. Poor little guy. Funny though, that hive has a patch of drone comb about 4X4 inches capped. Do workers destroy the drone larvae too in Fall or just kick the newly hatched drones out?

Saw eggs in a nuc that had queen cells on 9/11. Pretty late for Chicago area.

I saw drone cells a couple weeks ago in my last inspection, thinking well, it has been a warm fall. A few days later, white pupa carcasses were scattered on the walkway in front of my bee house. They take out the pupa as well as kick out the drones. We used to have a first frost about September 15, but this year it will be closer to October 15. I'm concerned that the bees will eat up their winter stores before Thanksgiving.

Bear Interuppted (Hudson Valley NY)
    Feeling pretty badly right now but know this could have been worse
    We have a good fence charge I think - Parmak MAG12-SP, which is rated 30 miles / 3.1 Joules and I regularly test and always get 10K+ volts, no shorts.
    Bear visited @ 4:15 AM this morning. From inside I heard a loud CRACK, then crash - then another. On 2nd one I knew what it was and went out to yard making a racket but only heard / did not see bear scampering away.
    2 of three hives knocked over and I know my mistake - we added a third hive this spring and spread the two outer hives apparently just close enough to fence perimeter. Argh.

Bear could get close enough to knock over outer two but never entered bee yard and never touched center colony.
    BTW - hives were at least 14" from hot wire fence and both are three deeps high - this was not a baby bear.

Good news is I scared bear away probably within 5 minutes of it's visit - bear got nothing but 3.1 Joules and a lots of stings. Not a single frame was damaged by bear other than obvious comb damage from the knock over. All wooden ware is fine as are plastic hive stands.

At 5 AM still too dark to see anything and was getting lit up so put large tarps on each colony pile of knocked over equipment and bees and waited for light.

Still - A lot bees died from knock-over and exposure and my work putting all back together.
    No idea if queens alive or dead yet
    They were so upset. With gear on I still got many stings - stopped counting how many.

Hives relocated further inside and I need to do some fence repair but it is back on / running.

Don't make my mistake - I THINK my fence discouraged bear for most part, but she/he could STILL reach two of my hives!
    Lot of respect for that bear, but so disappointed that I let this happen - wanted to remind all about these smart / hungry / Winter-minded bears!

Last part is I am also going to bait fence tonight with bacon. Even though this bear got no reward this morning, I don't rule out more visits

Today I did a brief inspection of resources in my big hive and the swarm nuc sitting next to it. The goal is to be sure everyone has enough stored for winter. The nuc got 2 full honey frames for the goal of 3.5. The big hive is getting maybe 1 gallon more to top it off. Taped the box seals to keep robbing pressure down. It really takes the edge off. They followed me back to my workbench looking for food so I’m giving it to them. Light snow predicted for Sunday. Then it warms a bit. Finishing first stage of winterization- mite control and feeding the living daylights out of them.

I measured a random sample of this years honey from one of 2 hives that filled suppers last night. This honey took forever to extract.

2019 honey moisture.jpg
    Last edited by elmer_fud; 09-26-2019 at 09:57 PM.

I couldnt check the boards on day three the weather was just plain nasty.
    Today, I managed to do the next OAV, I dont like doing it when its raining or really windy, but this morning,I nipped out in a lull.
    I only use the board right under the brood nest now. Hopefully, things will stay settled so I can check before the debris builds up.
    Orientation flight was so loud I could hear it from 4 meters away even without my hearing aids in.

48 hour mite count= 4.
    Had a hard time counting due to debris, mostly pollen and wax moth poop.
    Somehow they get in and wind up hatching out under the mesh screen.

The brood nests are contracting and a lot of stores are going into the brood frames. Some colonies are putting small amounts of nectar in the honey supers, although very little is being capped. Maybe, this year they will make some fall surplus for me as the Goldenrod is just beginning to open.
    There is one colony, however, that has a lot of capped and emerging brood, larvae and not much honey. This one has been the weakest of the bunch all year due to swarming this Spring, despite my efforts of prevention, even with the use of a Snelgrove board. Maybe, they are playing catch-up for Winter, but I think I may pinch this Queen and divide the resources with the nucs I recently moved into ten frame hives.

Alex
    Ten years of Beekeeping before varroa. Started again spring of 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by mischief View Post
    48 hour mite count= 4.
    Had a hard time counting due to debris, mostly pollen and wax moth poop.

Somehow they get in and wind up hatching out under the mesh screen.
    Check out this video from UoG, if you haven't already. He addresses this issue fairly early in the presentation. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Emlvx53iOZ4

Alex

Thanks, somebody sent me the link for this university to look at splitting, so i'll add this to my studies.

not in my apairy, but I found out I could get my garage freezer to -30F freezing frames. I removed an air duct to fit a box in, and apparently it really messed up the control of the freezer.

Switched to dry winter feed as of 10/1 (bakers sugar, winter patties). Finished small square internal feeders and put in a winter pattie and bakers sugar to take the hunger edge off the colonies. I really like peeking in and seeing them eating. Yes, I talk to them too and say hi. Everything here is running at least 2 weeks later than last year. Finished 2nd round of OAV on a high mite count hive in a 4 day interval just to punch the mites in the face. Strong colony though at 30k I'm betting. The other hives are not dropping near as high a count so I'm betting they robbed a failing hive out. Will continue the series until mites are massively decreased. LOVE my new Varrox. Super fast result.

Bottled up the last of the honey yesterday and put the wet stuff out for the bees to clean up. No use wasting it.
    Today, everybody gets weighed.
    Thinking ahead to the Winter building program.
    I want bees that make up for my mistakes.

We have had two nights in a row of frost heavy enough to kill the garden. At 10:30 this AM the bees are flying as though it is a nice Spring day.

Alex

Page 117 of 118 FirstFirst ... 1767107115116117118 LastLast