Today in the Apiary - Page 119
Page 119 of 133 FirstFirst ... 1969109117118119120121129 ... LastLast
Results 2,361 to 2,380 of 2643

Default Re: Today in the Apiary

Sunny and 52 degrees today at my Golden Gate Park apiary. I had one super on each hive. All full from Eucalyptus bloom. Checkerboarded another super on each. Let it flow let flow let it flow!!!
    My opinions are based on whatever OD Frank says because he thinks he knows everything!

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

55 degrees at the Jersey Shore today. Bees very active today in 2 double deeps. Watched them for about 1/2 hour. Both hives looking strong?

Inspection on Tuesday.
    First hive still has alot of drones, moved 2 frames of open nectar that had capped drone brood over to the honey side. As of yesterday, they had moved the nectar from at least one side of one frame back over to the other frames-can see through the window.
    Had to move capped brood frames around so they were together by the entrance instead of all through the hive.
    Couldnt harvest any honey cos the frames werent all capped yet, so next time.

Second hive is building up well.
    Had to trim off some uncapped honey comb that they had built joining two frames.
    After I drained the honey, I checked out the 6 capped Drone cells= no mites, so pleased with that.

I added a frame each of the shaved down frames to both hives. The second got one that was accidentally shaved down to 30mm. Be interesting to see how they build that out.
    Cant remember when I last did an OAV, but will do the first one tomorrow,just to see what/if anything falls this time.

Checked the hives with the FLIR and took a pic of the double nuc. Clusters are next to each otherís middle walls (not sure how to say that?) but you can see from the image. This hive is composed of 3 deep nucs sugar shim on top with entrances. 65180594-0C14-4B6B-ADDE-4A7442609B0F.jpg65180594-0C14-4B6B-ADDE-4A7442609B0F.jpg
    And as a bonus a pileated woodpecker showed himself, very upset that we cut the dead tree down where he gets his treats from. He was pecking around on the downed tree making a whole lotta noise! (that was yesterday and didnít have a camera with me).
    Proverbs 16:24

https://youtu.be/6okD6Tnnk6s

Bees were flying in warm December weather here in Northwest Germany. I loved it.

Included some slow motion, dark bees, two queen hives.

What a great video Bernhard!

Heute, alle kleine Madchen in der Sonne spielten.

Can't do Umlauts on my phone.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Quote Originally Posted by mischief View Post
    I added a frame each of the shaved down frames to both hives. The second got one that was accidentally shaved down to 30mm. Be interesting to see how they build that out.
    Mischief:

Glad to see you posting updates here- are you using narrow frames consistently now or is this just a trial?
    Ecclesiastes 11:4

Quote Originally Posted by BernhardHeuvel View Post

https://youtu.be/6okD6Tnnk6s

Bees were flying in warm December weather here in Northwest Germany. I loved it. [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.beesource.com/forums/images/smilies/thumbs_up.gif[/IMG]

Included some slow motion, dark bees, two queen hives.
    Bernhard:

Enjoyed watching your video- it was neat to see the different hive set-ups that you have.

A prosperous new year to you and your family.

Russ

The last two days three out of eleven hives are bringing in something that looks like pollen. It is a small load that is a tan color and so few are bringing it in. That is what makes it strange to me. I am also wondering if they are visiting an evergreen tree, our Leyland Cypress or the nearby greenhouses. I don't usually see pollen in noticable amounts this early. I am in western nc at 2200 ft.

nc
    Check chicken feeders or other type feed. The last few days that were warmer, I saw bees in the feed. Just a thing to add to look at.
    Cheers
    gww
    zone 5b

Hey that might be it. There are a few hens a couple houses over. I probably won't go over there because those people think we are kindred spirits but I think they are strange. A lot of my bees do go in that direction.

Quote Originally Posted by ncbeez View Post
    I think they are strange.
    Hate to break it to ya, but they may have a similar impression of you. After all, we beekeepers are just a bit on the crazy side.

The recent weather has me thinking about spring and that means honey supers and splits. There are four really disgusting jobs in hobby beekeeping. In order they are:cleaning frames slimed by SHB, cleaning frames covered in webbing and wax moth poo, rendering wax that has bee larvae still in it, and cleaning out dead hives full of moldy bees.
    Today I worked on disgusting job #2. The destruction was not as bad as I thought, maybe 30 frames. Found out I had 13 supers still on the hives and being cared for by the bees. Scraped and cleaned the frames and plastic foundation. It looks like I will recover about 3/4# of honeycomb wax. No cocoons, but lots of poo which required multiple water boils to remove. Also cleaned and waxed up the deep plastic Acorn frames I was given. Feels like I made progress today. I heard there were bowl games on, really? Sometimes it is nice not having network or cable tv.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Quote Originally Posted by JWPalmer View Post
    Sometimes it is nice not having network or cable tv.
    JW: This I can completely identify with. Having now spent close to a decade without TV, I am not sure how anyone finds time to watch it.

I sincerely hope your overwintering efforts have proven successful thus far, and Happy New Year to you and your family.

Russ

Quote Originally Posted by Litsinger View Post
    JW: This I can completely identify with. Having now spent close to a decade without TV, I am not sure how anyone finds time to watch it.
    It was around 10 years ago that our analogue TV signals were switched-off in favour of digital - I decided at that time not to indulge in any more 'opium of the people'. Best decision I've ever made.
    LJ
    A Heretics Guide to Beekeeping http://heretics-guide.atwebpages.com/

All 5 alive and flying today. 6a high desert Oregon. Especially proud of the mid August swarm thats thriving in their resource hive. Kept the mites off and fed them heavily. Sold on 4 over 4 deeps for smaller colonies.

Something about seeing flying bees lifts the spirits.
    I'm smart but at the end of the day I'm still the help.

Quote Originally Posted by little_john View Post
    It was around 10 years ago that our analogue TV signals were switched-off in favour of digital - I decided at that time not to indulge in any more 'opium of the people'. Best decision I've ever made.
    LJ
    I live about 35 from the tv broadcast towers. When they switched to digital, I put a nice large digital tv antenna on a 30' pole and got a pretty blue screen. Haven't had tv since then. Still watch movies on the dvd player but no longer feel compelled to turn on the tube and turn off my brain to watch the garbage that passes for entertainment these days. The bees provide what entertainment I need.

We keep our boxes and frames out in the garage, nice and tight so mice don’t get into them, and my husband sets mouse traps. One trap caught a mouse, and my husband went out the next day to throw it out and the trap with the dead mouse was gone.

After all, we beekeepers are just a bit on the crazy side
    I agree, I am also an engineer which probably adds to the strangeness compared with the general population.

There are four really disgusting jobs in hobby beekeeping. In order they are:cleaning frames slimed by SHB, cleaning frames covered in webbing and wax moth poo, rendering wax that has bee larvae still in it, and cleaning out dead hives full of moldy bees.
    I really hope I am not jynxing myself, but I have not had to deal with any of those, and I am glad not to have. The hives I had that died over winter dried out and were not moldy by the time I caught it

Quote Originally Posted by little_john View Post
    Best decision I've ever made.
    Quote Originally Posted by LAlldredge View Post
    Something about seeing flying bees lifts the spirits.
    The bees provide what entertainment I need.
    I agree X 3!

Page 119 of 133 FirstFirst ... 1969109117118119120121129 ... LastLast