Today in the Apiary - Page 113
Page 113 of 116 FirstFirst ... 1363103111112113114115 ... LastLast
Results 2,241 to 2,260 of 2319

Default Re: Today in the Apiary

Thanks, will do. I realize that I have to do my due diligence, work has a funny way of messing with your fun/hobby.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Bill007 View Post
    Thanks, will do. I realize that I have to do my due diligence, work has a funny way of messing with your fun/hobby.
    I Hear you. I often let the bees alone for 3 or 4 weeks, you just need to plan ahead a little. the 3 week break is not really a significant determent to keeping bees. take care of business when you are there and let them do their thing. stay 1 box ahead when in doubt till August then stay even. A big hive if you are near hay fields in July can put up a super every 2 weeks. The bees will show you

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Goose View Post
    I Hear you. I often let the bees alone for 3 or 4 weeks, you just need to plan ahead a little. the 3 week break is not really a significant determent to keeping bees. take care of business when you are there and let them do their thing. stay 1 box ahead when in doubt till August then stay even. A big hive if you are near hay fields in July can put up a super every 2 weeks. The bees will show you
    That’s the funny thing, I have a 60 acre hay field where they are located. No worries tho, it’s still kind of crappy weather wise. They are bringing in pollen and nectar with eggs larvae and capped brood present. I suspect that they will double in a week or so.

Checked both of my hives to see if the queen had moved up (added a 2nd hive body last week) and started laying in the top box. Went and checked on a trap I put out...nothing.
    westy
    FL, USA

checked yesterday and noticed they had not moved up into the honey supers, checked tonight and they where a noticeable amount of bee in the honey supper so i think they have.

Temps in the low 60s and rain again. I WANT TO START BEEKEEPING!!!!

I brought a Nuc home from my brothers last night. It is still sitting in the garage. My brother is a commercial beek. I`ve been helping him in exchange for bees and equipment. Yesterday we added honey supers and put nucs in deeps all day. It has been very windy and raining off and on since about 5:30 yesterday evening. It is supposed to clear up and get nice late this afternoon. I`ll get my new nuc placed in the bee yard then.
    Zone 4a

So far, its been kinda good.

One bee yard went from 23 colonies up to 173. Can't complain!

Been doing a lot of queen cell grafting and nuc making!

Today I installed the power conversion kit on my Maxant 3100 9-frame extractor. OMG, this is gonna be SO much easier than hand cranking the darn thing.

Bees are really bringing it in, well, by Virginia standards at least where the average yield is just under 40# per hive. 5 more weeks and it is all over for the year. So hard to stay out of the production hives and just check progress on the supers. I can only hope they are all queenright after several of them swarmed last month.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Today I found and marked the queen in 1 of my hives.

Made up a cell starter yesterday and grafted queens. I used a new jig that fits on a steering wheel to hold everything.

Dan,

Did you make the jig? Send a photo.
    I like jigs.

Cheers,
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Bear Creek Steve View Post
    Dan,

Did you make the jig? Send a photo.
    I like jigs.

Cheers,
    Steve
    Never posted a photo this old fart just might have to learn how to do that

Dan,

I'll bet I'm an older fart than you! Will be 80 before year end.

Here's the procedure for attaching a photo to your BS message. I had to step through the process with this photo taken last week of one of my neighbors. Another neighbor took the photo and shared it with me. (Now you know why I have an electric bear fence around my apiary.)

A) Click on the small square ikon at the top of this page that looks like a tree in the middle and has tiny black squares in the corners. (Third from the right)
    B) Select "From Computer"
    C) Click "Select File"
    D) Find your photo and select it
    E) Click "Open"
    F) Click "Upload File(s)"
    G) You'r done. The photo is attached, so send it.

, Wildlife, Bear and Trash Can (2).jpg

Cheers,
    Steve

Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Looks like that only made of wood

Quote Originally Posted by Dan the bee guy View Post
    Start counting days from when the egg was laid. From egg hatching to emerged queen is 13 days. MP I think does his on day 10.
    I guess the bees used older eggs as today is day 14 since the split.

Concur, an egg hatches in 3 days, they can use up to a 2 day old larvae, queens hatch in 16 days so if they use a 2 day old larvae,,,, this is 5 days from egg laying. so on a split you will want to open/check make the NUCs in 10 days from the split, which for the 2 day old larvae is day 15 of the 16 day hatching. It can be 16 days if they use a fresh egg or it can be 11 days if they use a 2 day old larvae, to have queens hatch.
    Happy grafting
    GG

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Goose View Post
    I guess the bees used older eggs as today is day 14 since the split.

Concur, an egg hatches in 3 days, they can use up to a 2 day old larvae, queens hatch in 16 days so if they use a 2 day old larvae,,,, this is 5 days from egg laying. so on a split you will want to open/check make the NUCs in 10 days from the split, which for the 2 day old larvae is day 15 of the 16 day hatching. It can be 16 days if they use a fresh egg or it can be 11 days if they use a 2 day old larvae, to have queens hatch.
    Happy grafting
    GG
    When I graft I can hardly see the larva so it's not even close to being a 2 day old larva it's more like 12 hours old . I go by the if you can see it it's to old.

I think Mike P uses 1 day old larva.
    Western Catskill Mountains
    Proverbs 16:24

Quote Originally Posted by Cloverdale View Post
    I think Mike P uses 1 day old larva.
    ok if grafting with a 1 day old larvae the queen would hatch 12 days later, do we agree?

Page 113 of 116 FirstFirst ... 1363103111112113114115 ... LastLast