Today in the Apiary - Page 122
Page 122 of 125 FirstFirst ... 2272112120121122123124 ... LastLast
Results 2,421 to 2,440 of 2495

Default Re: Today in the Apiary

Quote Originally Posted by Rigratt View Post
    ... I work a 2 week rotation (I’m gone two weeks and then home two weeks) ...
    You work in the inland river business? Maybe when you retire you can get a flatboat and participate in maybe the oldest example of migratory beekeeping in the US...

http://www.gregorylefever.com/pdfs/Beekeeping.pdf
    Ecclesiastes 11:4

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Litsinger View Post
    You work in the inland river business? Maybe when you retire you can get a flatboat and participate in maybe the oldest example of migratory beekeeping in the US...

I was offshore on jack up drilling rigs in the Gulf of Mexico. I now work on land rigs in South Texas.

Cool. I used to work for Rowan on a semi submersible.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Cold snap again. Sounds like 20-30 degrees this week then a lot warmer starting next weekend. Had -19 F yesterday. I'm hoping a warm-up starts this week. I'd like to check feed and satisfy my curiosity. They were alive 2 weeks ago. this is always a nervous time for me. I'll feel better in a couple weeks.
    Keep on buzzing!!
    Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by Litsinger View Post

Thanks for sharing that brief history of early beekeeping in the US.
    Proverbs 16:24

Update Mystery: Weighed my two lowest weight hives on the 14th, two weeks after the last weight check. The weights were UP about 12 lbs. and 5 lb. There is certainly no nectar around, temperatures have been around freezing, rain, fog,mist and grey skies fro a couple of weeks with one good in the 40s cleansing day. Why? I think it is mostly absorption of water by hte hive and brood comb as well as waste storage in the bees. Maybe some due to water foraging for brood rearing. Certainly interesting - weighting and knowing what it means is not as easy as presumed. Oh, checked one hive top / inner cover as my arrangement is not traditional - dry and warm.

You probably have a busy queen laying eggs and workers taking care of young brood.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Holcombe View Post
    Update Mystery: Weighed my two lowest weight hives on the 14th, two weeks after the last weight check. The weights were UP about 12 lbs. and 5 lb. There is certainly no nectar around, temperatures have been around freezing, rain, fog,mist and grey skies fro a couple of weeks with one good in the 40s cleansing day. Why? I think it is mostly absorption of water by the hive and brood comb as well as waste storage in the bees. Maybe some due to water foraging for brood rearing. Certainly interesting - weighting and knowing what it means is not as easy as presumed. Oh, checked one hive top / inner cover as my arrangement is not traditional - dry and warm.
    Any chance they have been flying and robbing a dead hive somewhere? That seems like a lot of weight to gain from only air/humidity.

How accurate is your scale and has it been affected by any temperature changes?

I have been watching them and weather barely supports nearby water foraging. The weather has not been good enough for flying any distance except one 45F day I think. It has been miserably wet - even my dog is complaining. Now it's cold, warmer, cold again but drier. I already see a drop in internal RH values after two days. The next week or so with one rain day should show a significant weight loss. I will be checking weekly and if I get a 50s day I will check th etop super. My standard brood chamber is a composed of a 2 medium and a deep with 30 frames installed. Without actually testing ( maybe I will) I think the wood content can account for a large amount water absorption. I know when I was a "kid" I drove, via a water jet pump system, 20 -35 Ft. oak pilings. I specifically waited for spring to order what I needed because spring provided "soaked" oak tree trunk that would sink and stay put. Dry ones floated like bobbers - drove me crazy one time, had to float them all until they sunk. Native white pine sucks up a lot of water.

The weight scale is a calibrated, spring/fish scale and mechanically adjustable for tare weights and changes to zero; 6-8" face diameter. I got tired of "convenient" digital junk. I also understand vector mechanics and correct my readings. Think I will go submerge a deep box with ten frames .

"two recently installed packages" Wow! You guys get started early. It was 13F the other morning. It's still 2 months for packages around here. Last year I saw the first pollen on March 19. I also have a nursery near me

Opened hives today (Richmond, Va) since a few of them needed supering, and saw this on one. Reminded me of a street I lived on with lots of busy-bodies that would peek out the window curtain when anything at all was happening outside their yards. I could almost hear a thousand tiny voices saying "Hey!!, What are you doing there. You don't belong on this street". lol

peekabee.jpg

If I saw that colony I would be worried it was short on stores.

Quote Originally Posted by dddillon View Post
    Opened hives today (Richmond, Va) since a few of them needed supering, and saw this on one. Reminded me of a street I lived on with lots of busy-bodies that would peek out the window curtain when anything at all was happening outside their yards. I could almost hear a thousand tiny voices saying "Hey!!, What are you doing there. You don't belong on this street". lol

peekabee.jpg
    All of my opinions and suggestions are based on my five decades of actual beekeeping,
    not so much on book learning, watching YouTube videos nor reading internet sites.

Quote Originally Posted by odfrank View Post
    We have nectar from something coming in already here in the RVA. Loads of uncapped cells full of nectar that were empty a few weeks ago.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Quote Originally Posted by odfrank View Post
    no worries, this one had a good heft, and like John said, they are finding something out there and the boxes are getting heavier every day.

The hive next to it had several frames of brand new capped honey? This is just from the last couple of weeks. And it only the middle of February. Crazy!!!

the little sugar up there was a small block I put on that they totally ignored, As most of my hives did.

new capped.jpg

Interesting as I am not to far from u all, but I have not seen that kind of nectar build up, but all my hives have a lot of pollen, should be all natural since the 3 beekeepers around here do not use patties or put anything out.

In New Haven, CT (USDA 6a) yesterday, numerous hives were bringing in pollen (two different colors) with the afternoon temperatures in the mid-40's. I have Crocus tomassinianus in bloom and saw bees working them. I'm not sure what else might have been a pollen source for them, but I'm glad to see them getting ready for spring.

40 degrees today, single digits tomorrow's forcast. So, a normal February or a bit warmer.

Checked my 4 hives and all look great, clustered up against the the sugar blocks. They were hollowed right out. I added sugar block to all of them. Expecting another month before any useful foraging.

Another day that started below zero I've been checking on sugar and adding sugar blocks for over a month. April can't come soon enough.

Checked some hive with my flir, seems they are still going. Days are getting longer and the sun higher spring is in the Air

"In New Haven, CT (USDA 6a) yesterday, numerous hives were bringing in pollen" -- I think I am still a month away from pollen being 60 miles East, near Narragansett Bay / Pt Judith. Long Island Sound keeps you warmer I guess. Last year I saw pollen on March 19th. I will watch and see waht happens this year. Do you have a green houses near you? I get suspicious

Page 122 of 125 FirstFirst ... 2272112120121122123124 ... LastLast