Today in the Apiary - Page 121
Page 121 of 124 FirstFirst ... 2171111119120121122123 ... LastLast
Results 2,401 to 2,420 of 2480

Default Re: Today in the Apiary

ar1
    Sounds like your late queen is going to make it.
    Cheers
    gww
    zone 5b

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by gww View Post
    ar1
    Sounds like your late queen is going to make it.
    Cheers
    gww
    That hive had more visible bees this time than I have seen since fall. They were all up under the sugar block and had it hollowed all out. So, absent crushing cold in February, it looks good.

I am considering making up some patty this year, which I have not bothered with before. Hoping to push for a bunch of queen cells early and do a lot of splitting. I shouldn't be counting queens before they are hatched, I suppose; it's a long time until cold weather is done around here.

Quote Originally Posted by AR1 View Post
    That hive had more visible bees this time than I have seen since fall. They were all up under the sugar block and had it hollowed all out. So, absent crushing cold in February, it looks good.

I am considering making up some patty this year, which I have not bothered with before. Hoping to push for a bunch of queen cells early and do a lot of splitting. I shouldn't be counting queens before they are hatched, I suppose; it's a long time until cold weather is done around here.
    AR1, how soon do you add the patties to "instigate" the early build up? Have you done it in the past? Did they do swarm prep early in that case?
    Just curious
    GG

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Goose View Post
    AR1, how soon do you add the patties to "instigate" the early build up? Have you done it in the past? Did they do swarm prep early in that case?
    Just curious
    GG
    No real idea. But swarms here are May and June, so I am not in any hurry. I have never fed spring bees before.

Quote Originally Posted by AR1 View Post
    No real idea. But swarms here are May and June, so I am not in any hurry. I have never fed spring bees before.
    I did once, was a bit wild. I used the patty from Dadant, added it when the snow melted as I recall, sorry I did not keep better notes.
    They had lots of honey, was a 3 deep. 30 days later I open it for a "spring" inspection and found several capped queen cells had to do a unplanned same day split 4 or 5 ways. If you want to push them ,and you have normal swarms in May, meaning drones are present in May then April 1 , to add the pollen Sub ,30 days in advance of the swarm season would be a good dart to toss at the calendar. Be ready , check often all of a sudden they are swarming.
    Good luck, Let us know how it went.
    I may try a couple this year as well, I'll keep better notes this time.
    GG

We've been having several days here in the mid to upper 50s and a couple of days into the 60s. The alder, elm, and red maple trees have started blooming and I see olive colored, brown, and cream colored pollen going into the hives almost every day. The daffodils, dandelions, and hen bit have also started blooming.
    "Sometimes the best action, with bees, is no action at all."

Quote Originally Posted by GaryG74 View Post
    We've been having several days here in the mid to upper 50s and a couple of days into the 60s. The alder, elm, and red maple trees have started blooming and I see olive colored, brown, and cream colored pollen going into the hives almost every day. The daffodils, dandelions, and hen bit have also started blooming.
    Ahh. To be in Alabama...

Quote Originally Posted by GaryG74 View Post
    lucky you
    I look out and see snow. Glad you have some early foraging it will help ramp your bees up. Be a good time to check them for stores. Sure to be some weeks of cold coming.
    GG

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Goose View Post
    lucky you
    I look out and see snow. Glad you have some early foraging it will help ramp your bees up. Be a good time to check them for stores. Sure to be some weeks of cold coming.
    GG
    Just over freezing here. A few bees are out and flying around, but not making it back in reliably as they chill. Supposed to have a 40-degree day next week. I keep waiting for real winter to hit, but it is still early days.

Weighed hives yesterday, all have good weight on, 50 - 60 lb except one.. My big, hot and humid hive is gobbling up stores. I may have to feed come March. I'm waiting for the cold spell but the plants here are getting fooled.

Today (Feb 3rd) was warm and sunny - snowdrops are out in force and there are even a few early daffodils making their presence known - nearly all hives put some bees into the air, but it's still too early to form any conclusions.
    One hive which had showed zero activity thus far this winter (and one I was beginning to become just a little concerned about) put on a good display of a 1000+ bees - in contrast to the few dozen seen in front of other hives - so that one had me well fooled.
    LJ
    A Heretics Guide to Beekeeping http://heretics-guide.atwebpages.com/

Our weather is drunk again, we had a 70ish degree F change in 60ish hours, hopefully my hives got clustered well in the rapid temperature change. We had 70's on Sunday, snow on Monday, and hit zero overnight on Tuesday.

Quote Originally Posted by elmer_fud View Post
    Our weather is drunk again, we had a 70ish degree F change in 60ish hours, hopefully my hives got clustered well in the rapid temperature change. We had 70's on Sunday, snow on Monday, and hit zero overnight on Tuesday.
    That's quite a roller coaster! Good luck on your remaining overwintering efforts.

Russ
    Ecclesiastes 11:4

2/6-6a but high 40’s low 50’s for a bit. Started with 4 of 5 flying and taking dry pollen substitute (Glad it’s not a door stop anymore). Guess that’s a testament to our local pollen. Got into very top of the nonflyer to see 3 frames of bees hunkered down on brood from an early laying queen would be my bet. Will not be pulling frames for a while. Dropped Baker’s sugar moistened with ProSweet right over them along with sliver of protein patty. Since nurse bees won’t move away from brood this seemed like a wise move. They were all flying after this.
    I'm smart but at the end of the day I'm still the help.

Upper 30's to low 40's F here with two straight days of 100% RH called fog and mist plus some high winds today; dreary overcast seems to be the pattern versus snow. I have one hive indicating significant brood rearing, maybe two, based on weight loss week over week.

Bit of a change in the weather. Got hit by a storm last night which wasn't expected until later-on today - the site here looks pretty trashed right now: anything which wasn't firmly held down is now scattered all around.
    Luckily only two hives were affected: one lost it's telescopic roof which was found in the next field; the other - a triple-5 nuc stack was lifted clean off it's stand and dumped onto the grass. It's bees are now exposed of course and can be seen clustered up together looking pretty frightened - I've thrown some covers over those boxes for the time being to keep the rain off, and will be restoring order in a couple of hours when the wind and rain have moderated a little. Could have been a whole lot worse.
    LJ
    A Heretics Guide to Beekeeping http://heretics-guide.atwebpages.com/

Weather here in central Mississippi has been really wet. Temps have been from the 50s to upper 60s in the daytime and 40ish at night. Haven’t done a inspection since last fall but have been out and observed a lot of bees flying bringing in lots of pollen. My hive has a glass inner cover and I can see lots of bees but I’m also seeing lots of dead bees outside the hive mainly on nice days. So I’m thinking they are just cleaning up. This first year has been a challenge trying to learn what “not” to do so despite my best efforts I think they will survive.

Quote Originally Posted by little_john View Post
    Could have been a whole lot worse.
    Sounds like quite an experience, LJ. Hopefully the nuc colony will be able to pull through.

Quote Originally Posted by Rigratt View Post
    This first year has been a challenge trying to learn what “not” to do so despite my best efforts I think they will survive.
    It would appear you are off to a good start, Rigratt. In my very limited experience I have learned that it is better to do nothing than to do 'something' without a clear purpose in mind.

Best of success to you in this coming year, and I look forward to reading about how your apiary develops.

Russ

Thanks, it’s all been trial and error as I work a 2 week rotation (I’m gone two weeks and then home two weeks) hopefully I can harvest some honey this year.

Page 121 of 124 FirstFirst ... 2171111119120121122123 ... LastLast