Today in the Apiary - Page 120
Page 120 of 125 FirstFirst ... 2070110118119120121122 ... LastLast
Results 2,381 to 2,400 of 2492

Quote Originally Posted by Cloverdale View Post
    We keep our boxes and frames out in the garage, nice and tight so mice don’t get into them, and my husband sets mouse traps. One trap caught a mouse, and my husband went out the next day to throw it out and the trap with the dead mouse was gone. [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.beesource.com/forums/images/smilies/confused.gif[/IMG]
    Cloverdale:

I had this happen not once but twice last year. One ultimately ended up in our gray water drain and the other ended up in one of the roller tracks of our garage door- gruesome scene.

I switched to the following trap and I could not be more pleased:

https://www.tomcatbrand.com/en-us/pr...use-snap-traps
    Ecclesiastes 11:4

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Today in the Apiary

Quote Originally Posted by little_john View Post
    It was around 10 years ago that our analogue TV signals were switched-off in favour of digital - I decided at that time not to indulge in any more 'opium of the people'. Best decision I've ever made.
    LJ
    Makes me wonder how many of us don't have TV. 2005 was my cut-off.

I don't have a tv since 2002. Never missed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cloverdale View Post
    We keep our boxes and frames out in the garage, nice and tight so mice dont get into them, and my husband sets mouse traps. One trap caught a mouse, and my husband went out the next day to throw it out and the trap with the dead mouse was gone.
    I've had that happen to me too - 'twas a rat which took it.

Sometimes rats get too fat for their own good - like this fella (or lady) who got itself stuck in a German man-hole cover by carrying too much 'flab':

Happy 2020,
    LJ
    A Heretics Guide to Beekeeping http://heretics-guide.atwebpages.com/

Orange pollen today. Must be very scarce though because I had to watch for a long time to see a little. As far as being crazy, I guess having thousands of stinging insects as pets could qualify you as crazy. However I have some neighbors who occasionally howl at the moon.

Quote Originally Posted by Litsinger View Post
    Cloverdale:

I had this happen not once but twice last year. One ultimately ended up in our gray water drain and the other ended up in one of the roller tracks of our garage door- gruesome scene.

I switched to the following trap and I could not be more pleased:

https://www.tomcatbrand.com/en-us/pr...use-snap-traps
    Thanks!
    Proverbs 16:24

Quote Originally Posted by little_john View Post
    I've had that happen to me too - 'twas a rat which took it.

Sometimes rats get too fat for their own good - like this fella (or lady) who got itself stuck in a German man-hole cover by carrying too much 'flab':

Happy 2020,
    LJ
    Why thank you very much LJ, I shall indeed have a good 2020. I think the critter might be a barn or river rat, no fat ones over here.

A worthy movie to display on your computer using a CD - "Honey Land" - if you have time. I am assuming one can still do that in these days of rapid change for the sake of ........ increased profits I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Holcombe View Post
    A worthy movie to display on your computer using a CD - "Honey Land" - if you have time. I am assuming one can still do that in these days of rapid change for the sake of ........ increased profits I believe.
    I believe we just recently viewed that; I was impressed with how someone who has nothing can survive, and how we, in our culture, have such an abundance, can manage to complain about everything.

Just some random musings. I drove home today from Charleston (67F) watching the temps all day. Planned on getting out in the apiary as I was going to be home an hour earlier than usual. Ha! 53 but windy as could be. Girls were not flying and I was not going to intrude. So instead I finished filtering the 15# of wax I bought from Harbo Bee Co. Amazing how clean solar melted wax is right out of the melter. Anyhow, finished that up and ordered the 2# block mold that I am going to use as a collector in my own, soon to be built, solar melter. Winter is the time to plan and get things done. In two more months, I'll be be too busy with the bees for this kind of stuff.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Quote Originally Posted by JWPalmer View Post
    Anyhow, finished that up and ordered the 2# block mold that I am going to use as a collector in my own, soon to be built, solar melter. Winter is the time to plan and get things done. In two more months, I'll be be too busy with the bees for this kind of stuff.
    JW:

I look forward to hearing how your solar melter project turns out. Only two months left... I'm already behind.

Me too JW, I would love to see some pics when it’s finished. As for those beautiful temps, low of 11 degrees tonight

Well yesterday in the Apiary, checked all of their sugar stores, added if necessary, removed mouse guards let them clean out some dead bees, Oxalic all hives as planned, some with a glow plug others with a dribble (Brother Adam Doubles from Better bee), entertained adding a ProVap to my Christmas list!

Quote Originally Posted by HeadofMeadow View Post
    Well yesterday in the Apiary, checked all of their sugar stores, added if necessary, removed mouse guards let them clean out some dead bees, Oxalic all hives as planned, some with a glow plug others with a dribble (Brother Adam Doubles from Better bee), entertained adding a ProVap to my Christmas list!
    HeadofMeadow:

Glad to hear your bees are overwintering well thus far. I was curious about your 'Doubles'. Maybe you have written about this in other posts, but are you referring to some double Nuc set-ups you have similar to Betterbee's take on Michael Palmer's method? Just curious.

Have a great day.

Russ

71 degrees and sunny today.
    I got all of my hives moved closer together a couple of weeks ago to facilitate treatments. I moved them during cool rainy weather so they wouldn't be flying much. I also installed robber screens to make them orient to the new location. Some of them are still going back to the old locations. I guess they go back to the new location after they check the old one, "one last time". Crazy bees.

Alex
    Ten years of Beekeeping before varroa. Started again spring of 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by AHudd View Post
    71 degrees and sunny today.
    I got all of my hives moved closer together a couple of weeks ago to facilitate treatments. I moved them during cool rainy weather so they wouldn't be flying much. I also installed robber screens to make them orient to the new location. Some of them are still going back to the old locations. I guess they go back to the new location after they check the old one, "one last time". Crazy bees.

Alex
    robber screens or sticks or brush "MAY" or may not cause them to reorient. Sure eventually they reorient or die in the snow at the old location
    They would go back to the original spot if that was where they think the hive should be.
    Not crazy bees , sneekey beekeeper. If some one moved your house while you slept.... not necessarily your issue.
    GG

All hives flying today except 2; checked drawers wax debris there so they’re alive. Did catch a mouse in a trap next to a hive. There are tons of those buggers around this winter.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Goose View Post
    robber screens or sticks or brush "MAY" or may not cause them to reorient. Sure eventually they reorient or die in the snow at the old location
    They would go back to the original spot if that was where they think the hive should be.
    Not crazy bees , sneekey beekeeper. If some one moved your house while you slept.... not necessarily your issue.
    GG
    Yes, "may" is the operative word in this case. I had read that foragers only have a three or four day memory. They were confined to their hives for a few days before and after the move. Along with the addition of robber screens I thought there would be no problem. I also thought there wouldn't be many foragers this time of year. I guess I thought wrong.
    We have cold weather coming for a few days so maybe things will be sorted out after that. I guess when warm weather returns I'll check them all to see how much drifting there was.

Alex
    Ten years of Beekeeping before varroa. Started again spring of 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by AHudd View Post
    Yes, "may" is the operative word in this case. I had read that foragers only have a three or four day memory. They were confined to their hives for a few days before and after the move. Along with the addition of robber screens I thought there would be no problem. I also thought there wouldn't be many foragers this time of year. I guess I thought wrong.
    We have cold weather coming for a few days so maybe things will be sorted out after that. I guess when warm weather returns I'll check them all to see how much drifting there was.

Alex
    Alex, I have moved hives in winter and seen "Some" bees go back to the old location even a month later.... As long as the bee loss is small no worries. I have also read several things that later seem to be different good luck
    GG

32 degrees in N Illinois. Popped open my 4 backyard hives to check sugar. They are eating a bunch; all the sugar blocks are hollowed out on the underside, but no shortages yet. Added a few chunks to the pile and closed them up. Just happy to see no losses yet this winter. In fact they all looked fine.

Page 120 of 125 FirstFirst ... 2070110118119120121122 ... LastLast