Today in the Apiary - Page 118
Page 118 of 118 FirstFirst ... 1868108116117118
Results 2,341 to 2,352 of 2352

Default Re: Today in the Apiary

Gave the hives and nucs another OAV treatment this afternoon. Weather is great and the bees were flying hard although there ain't much out there as dry as it has been. Tossed another 20 gallons of 1:1 (100# dry weight) on the hives earlier this morning. Found one nuc that had been robbed out, dead bees all over the floor. The robbers were navigating the robbing screen like they had been doing it all their lives. Probably had. I have the same screen on all my nucs and there is a good chance it was another nuc that did them in. This particular nuc was much weaker than the rest having only a frame and a half of bees at last inspection. Did have a fair amount of brood so I had hopes. Oh well.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by JWPalmer View Post
    Tossed another 20 gallons of 1:1 (100# dry weight) on the hives earlier this morning.
    JW:

Good update- sorry to hear about the nuc failure. I was surprised to read that you are still feeding 1:1. When do you typically switch over to 2:1 in your locale?

Beeks with light hives should have already switched in my area. Most of my hives are already at or near desired winter weight. Because it has been so dry, I chose to stay on the 1:1 hoping that the bees will use the excess moisture to their advantage. I am also trying to keep some brood rearing going as I may still need to boost a few of the other nucs. The one that got robbed out was supposed to get combined with another nuc that failed to have it's queen return. When I went to make the combine last week, I found that nuc had gone LW and I did not want to risk the queen. Sometimes things do not work out as planned.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Because it has been so dry, I chose to stay on the 1:1 hoping that the bees will use the excess moisture to their advantage.
    JW:

Thank you for clarifying- I appreciate education.

Sometimes things do not work out as planned.
    I wonder if we could vote this in as the unofficial motto of beekeepers everywhere?

Had some large ponderosa pines taken down today that were dead or dying from beetle kill. One about 10 feet from a hive. Told the very skilled forestry guy that if he accidentally cuts a tree down and it falls on the hive to leave the area and not wait. All went well and he said that it was a first. Never had to worry about bees before.

He will be back to cut the 80 foot one down. Half of it is dead and it would either kill my horse or hit my neighbors house or mine. He's going to have to climb it and use ropes to section it off while he cuts it. I guess it's really interesting to watch. He just loves it.
    I'm smart but at the end of the day I'm still the help.

You might want to see if you can find sombody with a portable sawmill to cut those trees into lumber. An 80'er has got to be able to give you some nice boards for, oh, all the hives you will ever need.

Good idea. I have about 100 trees on my acre. Many beautiful old growth Pondos. The irony about Oregon is- we are covered in forest but get most of our lumber from overseas suppliers. Makes absolutely zero sense to me. He's cutting a lot of it into firewood too.

I asked him if he wanted to see something cool. I brought him over to 3 hives rolling out the front getting ready for afternoon foraging. He loved it, but kept his distance. The other guy stayed further back. Funny how we forget about it.

Today we have a warmer day than the last few really COLD days here in the NE. The sugar shims are on all but 2 hives, and saw many hives that had orienting bee’s. I’m very happy with that.
    Proverbs 16:24

Cloverdale
    I saw the same the last warm day I looked and was also happy to see it.
    Cheers
    gww
    zone 5b

51 and sunny. Flying kids are out. Lots of activity at the water. Opened all 5 up to spy into the covered feeding shim of the vivaldi board. 3 of 5 are actively eating winter patties, MC or fondant. I wanted them to have a buffet of choices. The other 2 are below the shim and happily hanging out on their honey. Mite counts are low to non existent. All is well.

Quote Originally Posted by LAlldredge View Post
    51 and sunny. Flying kids are out. Lots of activity at the water. Opened all 5 up to spy into the covered feeding shim of the vivaldi board. 3 of 5 are actively eating winter patties, MC or fondant. I wanted them to have a buffet of choices. The other 2 are below the shim and happily hanging out on their honey. Mite counts are low to non existent. All is well.
    Did you really mean “flying kids”? Cause I have some of them too.
    Proverbs 16:24

So you understand then. The way I dote and fuss and lecture them they may as well be my kids. We need to reach a better understanding over water safety. I’m leaving lots or rocks in their water hole but still find drowned bees. They are not good listeners sometimes. It may just be the teenagers.

Page 118 of 118 FirstFirst ... 1868108116117118