Newbee. New member. please help.

Default Newbee. New member. please help.

I installed my first package of bees 2 days ago in a brand new tbh. I didn't use any wax as a guide or foundation, just the wood guides for a few reasons. Anyways I just checked to see if the queen had been released, she had not, but they were building comb parallel to the bar and attaching it to the cage. Also noticed some comb, maybe propolis, attached at the bottom of the hive. What can I do to fix this issue? Any help would be very much appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Newbee. New member. please help.

Sorry not parallel....perpendicular. Not down the bar but across it. Make sense?

Quote Originally Posted by vinchinzo View Post
    I installed my first package of bees 2 days ago in a brand new tbh. I didn't use any wax as a guide or foundation, just the wood guides for a few reasons. Anyways I just checked to see if the queen had been released, she had not, but they were building comb parallel to the bar and attaching it to the cage. Also noticed some comb, maybe propolis, attached at the bottom of the hive. What can I do to fix this issue? Any help would be very much appreciated.
    I'm new also... but from what I understand they will almost always build burr / cross comb near and around the queen cage. Some bee-keepers reccommend direct release. I didn't think it was worth the risk for me... but I also managed to contact a local bee-keeper and get some drawn comb for them to start with, and I made my bars with comb guides on every second one, created from cut-down strips of plastic foundation.

I hung my queen cage between the two drawn comb bars, and they still started burr comb to it before I removed it.

Some photos here:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...6554420&type=3

Most of what I've read indicates that leaving cross / crooked comb will only perpetuate the problem. You have to get it corrected, via one method or another. It doesn't sound like the bar you're using gives them enough 'idea' of which way would be preferred to build so they're picking their own direction. Guides might help you here.

do you have a follower board installed so they don't have the entire length of the hive to build? A new package should only get about 5-8 bars to start with. And exactly where in the hive is the queen cage hanging? Sounds like you will have a little bit of comb to rework. Best to fix it now while it's "small". Just pop it off with your fingers and make a sling with masking tape up and around the comb and bar. The bees will attach it proper and chew off the tape in a matter of days. Just a small section of comb around the queen cage is normal but you don't want all your comb going that direction. After 3 days in her cage, you can poke a hole in the candy so she can get out and then remove the cage.

I am not a TBH keeper, but I have had some cross comb. even with guides.
    getting it fixed before they can make it worse is correct. Be sure the hive is level, if you haven't already.
    Good luck ... CE
    Started summer of 2013, just another new guy, tinkering with bees.

What kind of guides do you have? Triangles work best. Level is important. Followers really help, too--all good advice. Another beek gave me this idea for rescuing combs. It works best on comb that isn't heavy, or is strengthened with age and cocoons. New comb heavy with brood and honey won't be held by it. I have half a dozen combs in my hives right now held by these. comb on rescue bars.jpgrescued comb.jpg

I did my first comb rescue using plastic hair clips and zip ties, very easy and it worked well. I watched a video on you tube from the Fat Bee Man and it explained everything in detail. He also stressed that it won't work with honey filled comb because it's too heavy. Good luck, I was where you are last year, I'm smarter this year! Just think how smart I will be next year!!