Plastic frame rant - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Plastic frame rant

i too am using the pierco all plastic. i do apply a fairly heavy coat of wax to the entire frame and the bees are drawing them out nicely.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Just added plastic frames to our deep but checker boarded them with already drawn wooden brood frames. Sprayed plastic frames with Sugar water mixed with Lemon Grass and Spearmint essential oils. They started drawing on it immediately. I did notice like the picture above that there was some wax on top of the frames just like pictured above but not on the wooden ones.
    I really liked the black plastic frames, it made it much easier to see the eggs and seems very durable.

Quote Originally Posted by Bees of SC View Post
    My girls don't like it eather, would rather swarm than build on them.
    At our last beekeepers meeting a bloke came with aa large box of near new plastics to give away - there where plenty left at the end...
    from the Bee House -http://ecologicalsolutions.com.au/bees/?page_id=8
    40 years - +/- 20 H - TF - Subtropical

I don't think its any argument that bees will draw wax foundation better than plastic. Don't you love a good wood frame with a well drawn plastic sheet. So nice.
    Splitting a first year hive successfully https://youtu.be/ZfRTreQ-S9c

Bees can be somewhat tempermental, and some people have good luck with plastic foundation and others don't. My friend had a pile of it, and when he mixed it with wax (because he needed some frames fast and all I have is wax) they drew the wax first.

He did have nice frames in the honey supers for the most part, but when the flow slowed down the bees started to get creative with it. Lots of "ladder comb" and several patches hung off the edges of the frames and built between them, much more so than in hives with wax foundation.

If you can get it to work for you, it's nice, much stronger and won't sag (although it WILL warp badly in the sun!), but if they make a mess with it they will make a worse mess with plastic than with wax, I think. Not that they don't get creative with wax foundation!

Peter

My mentor will run either all plastic or all wax in a box, it is so they can not choose one over the other.
    On my hives it all depends on the bees,I have some that will draw it and others will not.

I am not a fan of the all plastic frames. They seem shorter length wise and sometimes fall of the rests. That's a pain in itself. Also there are too many areas for SHB to hide. Wood frames and plastic foundation for my honey supers. The bees draw them out like there's no tomorrow. Just wood frames (no foundation) for my brood chambers.

I bought some duragilt foundation this winter from Brushy Mountain. I was impressed with it as it was the first time I have used plastic based foundation. My bees are less impressed. I am having difficulty getting them to draw it out. I will be going back to all wax.

http://www.brushymountainbeefarm.com...oductinfo/204/

I have been using plastic and wax. I plan to test "nothing". Building some foundationless frames this weekend. I have my own design but suggestions/recommendations would be welcome. I haven't cut up any wood yet.

The only time I have had trouble with plastic is when trying to force them to draw comb like when you drop an outside empty in between two drawn combs, I think they chew the wax from the corners to pull cells in the middle because they aren't producing enough wax themselves. If you take a piece of soft wax that been in a hot truck or something and rub it liberally on the undrawn areas, 9 times out of 10 they usually go ahead and draw them for me.

I poured a tp tube full of wax for that exact purpose - kind of like a giant wax crayon. Rub it on and leave in the sun for a few minutes.
    Since '09-75H-T-Z6b

This is a common issue with beekeepers. I don't use plastic any more but it's really because I just don't like plastic. It's a personal choice. But, when I did use plastic I noticed that the bees preferred wax foundation over plastic foundation even when the plastic was well waxed to begin with. What worked best for me was giving plastic frames to a captured swarm or to a strong package that is being fed. Even then, I had to manipulate frames a little to get good comb. Once they started, all was well. I still get plastic frames from time to time, usually when I get a nuc and I still experience the issues of preference. All that said, there are many, many beekeepers using plastic frames or foundation and who are doing quite well with it. It certainly can be a time saver both from the standpoint of preparation and extracting. If those elements are important to you, then work on getting the bees to draw it out and you'll likely be happy in the long run.
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

I started beekeeping before plastic frames and foundation came along, have watched the evolution of the products, and just stuck with wax foundation. Our flow is long and slow and not well suited for drawing plastic. I watch the slow progress of the hives with Ritecell of beginners I am helping and see that bees work on wax much better. As our flow tapers off, the bees will slowly draw wax but ignore Ritecell.

I have all-plastic frame, wood frames with plastic foundation, wood frames with crimped wax foundation, and wood frames no foundation; all mixed up. I couldn't tell you what is in each box until after I opened it. I have a couple hundred frames of assorted materials in my shed. I don't sort through them when I need to place a new super; I just grab whatever is closest. I have never noticed much difference between the bees preferring one type of frame/foundation over another. If bees need comb, they build comb. Are they really sitting there in a hive thinking, "we urgently need to build comb, but not until we get proper frames and foundation". I and the bees have too many other things to worry about.
    Honey Badger Don't Care ಠ_ಠ ~=[,,_,,]:3

Quote Originally Posted by odfrank View Post
    I started beekeeping before plastic frames and foundation came along
    Me and you both.
    When I first got started I had no idea where to get anything at all or the resources ($) if I had known, so the hired hand built the hives and frames and everything else from descriptions in old books. When it came to the foundation, I figured that all I needed to do was melt some wax, paint it on to a cookie sheet and after it cooled, pull it off, trim it to fit in the frames, and wire it there. This went on for a week or so, until I lost interest (I was 12 at the time). After that I would just put the empty wired frames in the hive and found that the bees would draw them as well as or better than the waxed ones so I just quit making any at all. Gave up on the wire shortly after that and it didn't seem to make any difference except that they didn't have those lines of no brood where the wire was so I called it a win and just went with it.
    In these new hives I have "pre-waxed ritecell" and it works fine too, though they only grudgingly draw the outer frames. If the hives wouldn't have come with the frames already containing the foundation though, I would have just used empty ones. The worst part will be harvesting honey. I have never extracted before as it wasn't necessary. I will most likely want to go back to no foundation once I'm through messing with the plastic.

I keep waiting for someone to sell small-cell plastic in sheets to put into wood frames. I don't care for the plastic frames much, but I like plastic foundation.

Quote Originally Posted by pgayle View Post
    I keep waiting for someone to sell small-cell plastic in sheets to put into wood frames. I don't care for the plastic frames much, but I like plastic foundation.
    Someone used to, but must not have been a big seller. I wish someone still did too, I would probably use it. Not worried about cell size BUT better density I like.

Right now I have no foundation and the Mann Lake plastic frames but have not used any of the plastics yet.
    Last edited by jwcarlson; 05-21-2015 at 10:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by psfred View Post
    Bees can be somewhat tempermental, and some people have good luck with plastic foundation and others don't. My friend had a pile of it, and when he mixed it with wax (because he needed some frames fast and all I have is wax) they drew the wax first.

He did have nice frames in the honey supers for the most part, but when the flow slowed down the bees started to get creative with it. Lots of "ladder comb" and several patches hung off the edges of the frames and built between them, much more so than in hives with wax foundation.
    That is exactly what mine do.

David LaFerney - "I poured a tp tube full of wax for that exact purpose - kind of like a giant wax crayon. Rub it on and leave in the sun for a few minutes."

Now that is a good idea and simple. I will make one of those and try that on the last few sheets I have.
    Last edited by marshmasterpat; 05-21-2015 at 08:54 PM.
    Started 9/13, building slowly, not trying the no treatment anymore

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12