Decided on a Warre Hive - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Decided on a Warre Hive

The bees are in the hive.... and its been an interesting experience getting them in there. Good news, no stings

Ok, so as I mentioned no stings

now for the rest of the story...

dumped the bees in, but that are still quite a number outside of the hive. however, there are bees that have started the whole rear end in the air and fanning business.

the bees pounced on the queen cage right away, so I think I release will be in a few days... I didn't poke a whole in the fondant.

I busted the feeding bag and had to make another

I smashed more bees than expected... these little girls were every where and into everything

One bee followed me into the house and quickly turned around and pelted the door until she was let out

I saw several drones and there was a puddle of yellow goo left by somebody, I don't know what it is.

and... I have a spare queen....
    Last edited by intlgrrl; 05-23-2015 at 10:26 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Is it common for a small cluster of bees to house themselves on the underside of the roof of a Warre?

No.
    Young queen maybe swarmed and settled on the roof.

Quote Originally Posted by BernhardHeuvel View Post
    No.
    Young queen maybe swarmed and settled on the roof.
    I think you're right, because I accidentally knocked the roof when I was feeding the bees, and all these bees fell out from under the roof. less than an hour later, they were all clustered under the roof. I'll see if they're still there in the morning.

Yeah, that cluster is still there... I think you are right.... I hope the hive doesn't house there

It will if you wait any longer. Shake the cluster into a hive.

Shook the cluster in a small box, only a few stragglers left

The small cluster didn't survive... the details are a bit interesting... That's a story for much later. finally went back in the hive today. I probably should've went in, in the morning, while it was still a bit cool out. Lots of propolis and lots of comb. The top box is 100% full of comb, some still empty while quite a few have eggs. there are eight bars in each box, and each bar has a comb. The bars in the middle, perhaps three have eggs in the comb, while the rest of the bars with comb are still empty. I think I may have to add a third box soon. The bees were a bit antsy, so I didn't check the bottom box this time. Will check the bottom box in about two weeks. No stings, no butting guard bees, just antsy bees. everything looks good so far. didn't see the queen, butt he presence of eggs makes me happy.

This is a fantastic thread, can't wait for my 2 packages to arrive in April, all of your input is keeping me awake nights thinking about this stuff, thanks to all who take the time to share.

I realized I haven't responded to this thread in a while and I want to update everyone about how my hive is doing after roughly about 18 months beekeeping. The hive has swarmed maybe twice and I wasn't around. (Bummer) The bees are thriving and going strong and the little sample of honey I removed is delicious. So now that the hive is doing well, I will harvest next year for honey. I will also add two more hives to the yard, giving me a total of 3 hives altogether. I will more than likely get another Warre, and I'm tempted to get a long top bar or Lang just to have some variety. I think next year, I'll take pic of my little urban beeyard and the planned garden for the next year.

forget it. not worth the bother

Quote Originally Posted by dshanabrook View Post
    forget it. not worth the bother
    Now that is an interesting response to a 2 year old thread.

I wonder what happened that winter to cause the OP to stop posting?
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Quote Originally Posted by JWPalmer View Post
    Now that is an interesting response to a 2 year old thread.

I wonder what happened that winter to cause the OP to stop posting?
    An 'interesting' first post ... I'm wondering why someone is bothering to dig up an old thread, when they're highly unlikely to get a response from the OP, who hasn't posted here since Jan 2016.
    LJ
    A Heretics Guide to Beekeeping http://heretics-guide.atwebpages.com/

I wasn't looking at the dates. Got it now. I was going to say something about stereotyping people by religion, and the appropriateness of this in a beekeeping forum, but decided it wasn't worth the bother.

I hadn't posted in this thread in a long while, because I would hang out in the chat and get most of my questions answered there. The long and short of it, is that my held strong for three years... that is until someone sprayed insulation foam into the opening of my hive... I will possible have to clean out the hive come spring. I will continue with the warre hive, but I plan on purchasing a cathedral hive for my second hive

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123