Decided on a Warre Hive
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Decided on a Warre Hive

I've decided on a Warre Hive and will be placing an order for the hive tomorrow. I have a package of 3 lbs of bees set for delivery at the end of the month, so my hive should be set up and ready to go. Although, now I'm wondering if I should order a 2 lbs queenless package...

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Decided on a Warre Hive

Quote Originally Posted by intlgrrl View Post
    I've decided on a Warre Hive and will be placing an order for the hive tomorrow. I have a package of 3 lbs of bees set for delivery at the end of the month, so my hive should be set up and ready to go. Although, now I'm wondering if I should order a 2 lbs queenless package...
    And why would you do that?

Quote Originally Posted by intlgrrl View Post
    I should order a 2 lbs queenless package...
    What???

Not for the Warre, but for a queenless?
    Last edited by lemmje; 05-08-2015 at 12:21 AM.
    -- Joe
    "Make your own decision and embrace the consequences." -- jwcarlson

From what I've read about Warre hives, its recommended that they start with rough 5 pounds of bees. I already have a 3 lbs package with a queen, I thought maybe asking from 2 lbs of queenless bees to add to the 3 lbs. I'll call the supplier tomorrow and ask what they recommend. From what I understand, they also use Warre hives.

If you are going to add bees to an established package doing so can result in the "new" bees taking the queen for a long ride off of off a short plank unless the proper precautions and steps are taken.

If you are putting them all together then the acceptance rate on the queen will drop as opposed to a three by itself.

As the Warre hives have become all the rage would someone please explain to me why this is so if one "needs" 6 lbs of bees to fill one a the outset if they are so miraculous.

IMO the have become the gold standard of beekeeping Rube Goldberg equipment.

I started 2 hives a couple years ago.... purchased 3 3lb packages....two with queens and one without. Dumped approx. half of queenless package into each hive giving each about 4-1/2 pounds. I think the larger amount (4 to 5 lbs) of bees is due to fact that the bees will need to build comb......make sure to feed them heavily until they stop taking it

>IMO the have become the gold standard of beekeeping Rube Goldberg equipment.

And notice that one of the big promoters of "Warre" hives on this forum actually uses "Warre" hives with frames.

>I think the larger amount (4 to 5 lbs) of bees is due to fact that the bees will need to build comb......make sure to feed them heavily until they stop taking it

Bees installed on foundation need to build comb. Bees build foundationless easier than on plastic foundation. I put a three pound package in a Warre two years ago and it filled six boxes. But I cheated...I managed them to work up, not down.

Ordered my beehive, I'm very excited. I also spoke with my bee supplier about combining the 3 lbs queen package with a 2 lbs queenless bee package and she explained how that works and that since the bees aren't traveling too far that they should be ok. She also gave me a few good ideas for preparation before combining the bees in the hive in order to prevent queen balling from the 2 lbs package. I think it should be ok, if not, lesson learned

If you want a good install video, go to www,thewarrestore.com and scroll down to video tutorials and then click on installation ....Sure helped me when I started

Quote Originally Posted by BYOBee View Post
    If you want a good install video, go to www,thewarrestore.com and scroll down to video tutorials and then click on installation ....Sure helped me when I started
    The video was a good suggestion. The Warre hive I ordered is foundationless, so this will be a big leap since this will be my first hive ever. I do have one question... about poking a whole in the candy for the queen... since now I'm getting 5 lbs of bees total from two packages, wouldn't it be better to leave the candy as is? A longer time to accept the queen I would think.. plus I have to be honest, I would be afraid of poking the queen, so even with the one 3 lbs package, I wouldn't want to poke a hole in the candy, I would rather leave it in tact. Is that wrong? Plus my supplier gave me a few tips about combining the two packages that seemed helpful, and she didn't mention poking a hole in the candy.

I'm sure the bees will not have any problems releasing the queen even without the nail hole....may take them a little longer

Quote Originally Posted by odfrank View Post
    And notice that one of the big promoters of "Warre" hives on this forum actually uses "Warre" hives with frames.
    And please notice that one of the big promoters of Warré hives on this forum has kept bees on fixed comb (and still keep about 20 of them) in fixed comb hives for ten years.

To Honeyforall, if you had any experience keeping Warre hives you would not say they are "Rube Goldberg". Is your opinion based on your limited knowledge? Seems so.
    Even with mass production of Lang hives they are not price competitive with Warre hives.
    Warre designed this hive partially to address the high failure rate of his parishioners using Lang gear. This trend continues to this day.
    I have made and used every type of hive. My old dad made furniture , I've got the skills & tools. Remove the huge mass production aspect of modern hive parts and you find maintenence and production of Warre hives is about 5 times as cost effective. All while simplifying basic beekeeping. Many common beekeeping tasks are simplified by Warre hives. They work wonderfully and produce just as well. They do require attention, just as any hive does. That's the fad thing untrue about them. If a person is serious about home beekeeping and is willing to understand how to work Warre hives they will have much less issues and costs longterm.
    Last edited by jadebees; 05-09-2015 at 10:26 PM. Reason: more info

Since i have "limited" Warre experience please enlighten me on why they are so wonderful.

I'm sure they have benefits......

The question is: Does the drawback side of of the bee teeter totter outway the benefit side with the Warre?

Do your own research if you care.

What I care about is all those folks who bought packages from me and a few associates who happen to screw the bees and queens up at a very high rate compared to the "standard" crowd..

If the things are so miraculous i'm doing a head scratch as to why the failure rate is so high..... ??????????

I suddenly feel like I've walked into a beekeeper's version of a Big Bang Theory episode.... I'm sorry that my topics/questions have set off a "merry war betwixt" certain beekeepers and their theories.... unfortunately, I'm too new to even keep up...

Dont worry about it. Just learn about beekeeping. Warre hives are easy to use.

Quote Originally Posted by Honey-4-All View Post
    ... why the failure rate is so high..... ??????????
    That's because of the greenish attitude of the hive and folks that are drawn to it, expect it to work by it's own. As is with any other hive, too, bees need to be cared about. Some hive a package and expect to collect their own nectar from the start. That's making me scratching my head.

Also there are wrong manuals out there. A lot of people hive them on two, three or even four boxes from the start. Because of bad advise. That is a mistake, too. Especially with a package, where a lot of bees will die before time, you need to install them on one box. I hive any sort of swarm on one box only, and that is beneficial for the bees.

So to shorten it: it is more the people that are drawn to that sort of hive, plus bad advise rather than the hive itself, that is causing the trouble.

Personally I see more fails on standard equipment. Learning beekeeping is a difficult task and not really learned on your own. Learn from experienced beekeepers. Directly at the hive. That is the best way. Do visit other apiaries and learn from different people. That would be my advise to your customers.

Also advise them to use one box for the start, let them feed those packages and tell them they need to inspect the hives. A package is no natural swarm and needs to be treated differently. Maybe some instructions can be included with your packages. If you want I can make a flyer or something, that you can print out and add to your packages.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast