Oh great! Landlord behind us is spraying dandelions and it is windy!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Oh great! Landlord behind us is spraying dandelions and it is windy!

Oh great! Landlord behind us is spraying dandelions !

It is quite breezy in this area today! There is a landlord on the property behind and over half a lot that is spraying liquid weed killer on the lawn there. (Our lot share part of the back lot line) The dandelions are in full bloom right now. We have a wood fence alone that back side, but it is not solid. So I am concerned about wind-born spray as well as what stays on the lawn and blooming dandelions.

It is legal for an individual to spray on windy days when the commercial applicators cannot?

We are sorely in need of rain. Will my bees collect that garbage and bring it home? The two hives are along the back fence about 6 feet from it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Oh great! Landlord behind us is spraying dandelions and it is windy!

I forgot to mention the tenants have picnic tables and grills, pool ladder, etc. etc. on the lawn as well as a kid's plastic vehicle they sit in. None of it got moved or protected while the idiot was spraying.
    Is it summer yet?

Default Re: Oh great! Landlord behind us is spraying dandelions and it is windy!

I do not know what the law is but the herbicides should not kill your bees. People have a right to control weeds in their lawn and the individual may not have even considered that weed be gone would hurt bees. It didn't occur to me.

if you're really worried you can shut the bees up in the hive today/tomorrow and hope the spray dries into the plants quickly. Sure the dandelions will die, but your bees wont be directly exposed to the poison while it's still volatile.
    Zone 7a

Quote Originally Posted by Vance G View Post
    People have a right to control weeds in their lawn and the individual may not have even considered that weed be gone would hurt bees.
    I have to agree with this statement.

It's an herbicide if he's just going after the Dandelions. No idea if it's legal for an individual to spray on a windy day. I'd assume that's a local law, but even if it is, threatening a neighbor with that is a great way to make an enemy. Thinking he's in idiot isn't going to help either. Try giving him honey and if and when he asks about the bees, talking about some of the challenges bees and beekeepers face. Once he feels a "buy in" with some honey as a gift he may be more concerned about when and what he sprays.
    Ninja, is not in the dictionary. Well played Ninja's, well played...

I've not had to deal with neighbor-bee issues yet but have a similar concern with spray. I hope the best for you and like the gift idea. Good luck!

Most of those "weed and feed" and "kills weeds not grass" herbicides are synthetic auxins (plant hormones). They also aren't intended to be insecticides. So while it's reasonable to not want that all over your bees it's probably not harmful. The one study I read found no direct effect on insects though they noted it could change plant nutrition which could affect insects that eat those plants. Fortunately bees seem to know the difference between nutritious pollen and less nutritious pollen and prefer whatever is best.

I did not even imply anything about a property owner's rights. I only expressed concern about what impact it would have on the bees, our honey. My concern also is about the chemicals we are breathing in that are so strong you can taste it in your mouth.

There were no threats made, nor was there an unpleasant conversation with the person.

At the point where the guy is spraying children's toys, people's food grills and other personal property, he became an idiot. I stand by that. The renters have three kids and one is a toddler.
    Is it summer yet?

>It is legal for an individual to spray on windy days when the commercial applicators cannot?

It shouldn't be, but it's not worth getting in a fight with a neighbor. I'm sure part of the concern here is that it is overspraying and killing EVERYONE'S dandelions...

Agent Orange was absolutely safe too...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

I'm not saying it's absolutely safe but if you're afraid of auxin you should probably stop eating any plants right away.

Unfortunately, the neighbor is probably completely legal in spraying for dandelions as a lot, if not most, communities have statutes prohibiting the proliferation of "noxious weeds" which of course includes dandelions. Coincidentally, in some areas sunflowers and other common yard forage plants are included as well.
    Call me a cynic, but since he has a pool and kids, he may be hoping to discourage your bees use of his property as well.

I think he is an inconsiderate idiot for spraying on a windy day. Wind can carry the spray onto neighbor's trees and shrubs. Wind born spray is not likely to kill a large plant, but it can still cause damage. A few years back an upwind neighbor killed half the leaves the upwind side of my sycamore tree.

Broad leaf weed killers are plant hormones that cause a huge growth spurt in the plant. Large leaf surfaces absorb so much that the growth spurt out runs the plant's photosynthesis ability so the plant wilts and dies, whereas blade leaf plants like grass don't absorb as much and don't outrun their photosynthesis ability. I don't worry about the herbicide so much as I worry about the carrier fluid. The carrier fluids can be mildly toxic and they definitely don't smell very good. I'd worry about them tainting the honey flavor in large quantities, so I mow my lawn and clip any missed yellow flowers before spraying so the bees don't forage there.
    Zone 6B

I believe most household gardening chemicals in North America and in EU have some sort of warning on them regarding use.
    In the US it is something to the effect of "[i]t is a violation of Federal law to use this product in a manner inconsistent with its labeling." Of course, you would have to have prove their failure...

Mountains from mole hills.

I know being a neighbor makes it much more uncomfortable when something is sprayed, but that's a drop in the bucket compared with all the spraying that's probably being done within your bees' forage range.

I'd tend to think like VikingJim that he's probably more miffed about your bees than you are about his spraying. He's got toddlers playing in the yard, they cook out, swim in the pool, etc., so he may be worried about someone getting attacked by your unsafe bees.

And D Coats has a good idea to make him familiar with bees.

OK. A couple of things. First, I cannot edit a post once it is made although I have done so in the past.

In the first post, I meant to say "Is it legal", not "It is legal" but you all understood what was meant.

Ok, another oops. We are the one with the pool and the bees. At best, the neighbor may put up a toddler-size wading pool in the summer for a few days at a time. What I thought looked like a ladder, etc. was a pile of stuff including a shovel, soccer net and some other things. We have no problems with them, nor they with us including the bees.

I don't know what is in the liquid weed killers, but remember one Mothers Day at the parents house when their neighbor took and sprayed each dandelion individually (lots of them) with something on a very hot and humid day where it actually ruined the party. The smell was very heavy and the liquid did not dry due to humidity. We could taste it even while eating food. It made us sick to just think you could actually taste it! We could not close windows as the smell was already in the house. I am sure the neighbor and his family could taste it too. Irony.
    Is it summer yet?

Quote Originally Posted by GarfieldBeek View Post
    Mountains from mole hills.
    Agreed, if you think a guy with a little tank sprayer stinks, you wouldn't like to be anywhere near farms. We've got 120' boom sprayers and even airplane sprayers. Now they have some drift, but its usually just glyphospate or 2-4-D.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bush View Post
    >It is legal for an individual to spray on windy days when the commercial applicators cannot?

It shouldn't be, but it's not worth getting in a fight with a neighbor. I'm sure part of the concern here is that it is overspraying and killing EVERYONE'S dandelions...

Agent Orange was absolutely safe too...
    And that's why my grandchildren are having health issues . I was exposed in 'Nam , they are paying the price in passed-down genetic damage .
    Retired wannabee Hillbilly Farmer in backwoods Arkansas
    Our biggest crop is rocks ...

Another neighbor had clothes out on the line to dry.
    I do tend to favor organics..................... some of you act like someone can't vent! Don't tell me you don't have something you have ever vented about.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast