Can't upload photos?

Default Can't upload photos?

I cannot upload photo files. The select button that comes up when I click on add image does not work so I try basic uploader and it "fails"???
    "Challenger" as in the Mopar muscle car. Not a personality description .
    Keeping bees to raise money for chordoma.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Can't upload photos?

What size images? There are size restrictions, so if they are too large, that could be one reason they are not loading. Also make sure your settings allow images. Go to Settings/General Settings and double check.

HTH

Rusty
    Rusty Hills Farm -- home of AQHA A Rusty Zipper and Rusty's Bees.

If your image size exceeds 800x800 pixels, or the file size exceeds 195 Kb, upload will fail. You must resize your image to be within those limits. If you don't have a better alternative, this free online resize tool will work: http://www.picresize.com/

Last edited by Rader Sidetrack; 05-07-2015 at 05:42 AM. Reason: typo
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

I'll try that but in the past I've gotten a message stating the file system too large. Not just a fail message?

The easiest way for me to post pics is to use either Facebook or Photobucket to upload the pics to and then copy the URL and then past it into "from URL" and uncheck "Retrieve remote file and reference locally".

Keep in mind that using the Photobucket alternative does not automatically deal with the 800x800 size limitation that Beesource requires. I have seen posts that were deleted by Barry for having inline Photobucket images that displayed here as 1024 pixels wide. For instance, member Glock ran afoul of that situation and hasn't posted to Beesource since his oversize image post was deleted.

Note that Photobucket does offer an easy way to resize images that once they are uploaded. Also, the Beesource size limitation only applies to images that are automatically displayed in a post - if you post just a link to the photo (one that requires the viewer to click the link to see the photo) then the image can be whatever size you like.

Last edited by Rader Sidetrack; 05-07-2015 at 06:13 AM. Reason: add more
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

This is not a user friendly Web platform.
    Why not make it available through tapatalk?
    Posting pics is a hassle yet it is one of the most useful features.
    This seems especially true in this forum.
    I can't post pics with an android phone and doing so with a pc is might take a few steps? Why?

Because vBulletin is not a user or admin friendly platform. I dislike it very much, but it was the leading platform at the time. Their photo handling sucks. I either have to open it up and have little to no control over images or I have to host the images and again have limited controls. If some get their nose out of joint over it, so be it. It is what it is. This is one reason I'm pursuing a new direction for Beesource using a different platform.
    Regards, Barry

Yeah, I've seen some people on here get bent out of shape over pictures being posted.
    I don't know why. I think they are extremely useful.
    In particular, I can recall some fussing by one or two over Lauri's post.
    She usually includes pics and I think that is one of the reasons that makes her post so great.

Quote Originally Posted by scorpionmain View Post
    Yeah, I've seen some people on here get bent out of shape over pictures being posted.
    I don't know why. I think they are extremely useful.
    In particular, I can recall some fussing by one or two over Lauri's post.
    She usually includes pics and I think that is one of the reasons that makes her post so great.
    I've heard one is worth 1000 words? IMO they make many posts easy to understand and if I can understand it anyone can.
    Trying to describe a trap out I recently did with a hogan modification would be a two sentenceand one photo post. With no photo submission ability it is painful.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Because vBulletin is not a user or admin friendly platform. I dislike it very much, but it was the leading platform at the time. Their photo handling sucks. I either have to open it up and have little to no control over images or I have to host the images and again have limited controls. If some get their nose out of joint over it, so be it. It is what it is. This is one reason I'm pursuing a new direction for Beesource using a different platform.
    vBulletin may not be up-to-date user friendly but it is so widely used that if you have ever used any forum before it was probably vBulletin - making it really easy in that case. Personally I would rather not have to learn a new system unless it is childishly easy - which it would probably not be. But mostly I would be afraid that if you migrated to something else it would make existing content difficult or confusing to search and access. And eventually that platform would be old too. The existing material on beesource is a goldmine for anyone who is willing to sift through the... overburden I think is the term. Still - a gold mine.

Using visual content on here isn't really hard - it just isn't childishly simple.
    Since '09-75H-T-Z6b