Swarm bandit

Thread: Swarm bandit

Default Swarm bandit

Hello everyone,

Does anyone have any experience with the new swarm trap, called swarm bandit? I purchased two and just a week ago placed them in the brood supers. I lost several swarms last year, the trees are too tall, and i couldn't capture them. This is supposed to trap the queen inside the box until you transfer the swarm into another hive. Just wondering if anyone had used these, as they are fairly new.

thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Swarm bandit

Bought one of these. Haven't tried it yet however. Nice idea but my first impression was that the capture area was too small for my typical swarm. I may modify it to make that area larger to avoid congestion problems.
    Rohe Bee Ranch "Free Range Bees"
    http://www.rohebeeranch.com

Has anybody used these yet?

(reviving an old thread)

Its been 2 years since introduction - any user reports on the "Swarm Bandit"?

A little internet research turns up lots of naysayers that say these things can't work because a swarming queen, slimmed down to fly, can fit through the queen excluder. But, I am hoping to hear from actual users . . . ?

Last edited by shinbone; 02-28-2017 at 08:36 AM.
    --shinbone
    (1975-1980, and now since 2011; maintain about 10 hives; Zone 5b; 15" rain; 5500')

It seems like a good idea, but if you know a hive is going to swarm then why wouldn't you just go ahead and do an artificial swarm and move the queen and half the bees to an empty hive? While artificial swarms are not always successful, I can't imagine the success rate of the swarm bandit would be an higher.
    Zone 5B