Questions on feeding new package stores from deadout. No disease.

Default Questions on feeding new package stores from deadout. No disease.

When installing a package into a 10 frame medium box with stores from a deadout, how many frames of honey do you put in? Are they put in the 1,2 and 9, 10 frame spaces like bees traditionally do? One package I put a honey frame in closer to the near middle to get it close to their brood area. Was this not a good idea? Was under the impression that the bees would use that up fast.

We really have a lot of honey frames from an early deadout. Don't want to cause swarming, but would like to gradually give this honey back to the bees and keep the newer stuff they collect for us.

We were fortunate to get an old freezer for free and put the extra honey frames in there for now with thoughts of giving it to the bees early for buildup, during dearth, and fall feed.

Just wish I knew more exact details. Can anyone help? Thanks in advance.
    Is it summer yet?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Questions on feeding new package stores from deadout. No disease.

I would put about half drawn empty comb and half partial honey frames in with the package, but do nothing until the package has been installed for about ten days! Too much mucking around too early after a caged queen is released can result in the bees killing her. A frame of honey placed in the middle in cold weather is an excellent idea as you want the bees to have ready access to feed where you hope they set up shop there in the warmest part of the hive. The bees may find a huge early flow and plug that single so it is always wise to keep lifting the box to get an idea how full it is. Make sure they don't run out of room to lay. If the package would have been earlier, this would not be a concern and the bees would have just turned all that honey into bees! I say this because my three frame nucs had to be moved to five frame nucs way too fast because they were filling the small quarters with honey. Or I made the splits too strong, one or the other. Your medium box is pretty tight quarters too and I would bet you will need to add a second box pretty quickly once that queen is laying or they will run out of room for her.

Vance,

Thanks for the reply. These bees were installed early Sunday and today, Tuesday afternoon, when checking the front of the hives visually, we noticed a small glob of bees just over the edge from the entrance of one hive. We had not bothered the bees since installing them. I tried to collect the glob by scraping them onto a spare brood frame but most went airborne. The queens for both packages were small and would be difficult for me to spot.

We had to go in and take out the queen cages, but closed it back up without doing anything further. It seemed like there were quite a lot of bees just sitting on the tops of the frames.
    Is it summer yet?

I don't know that it's necessary, but when feeding honey frames during winter or cool spring weather I have always scratched the caps. I notice that full frames of honey act as a follower board and restrict the cluster. But then, I always scratch the honey at the top or bottom of the brood frames in the spring to encourage expansion beyond the "dome". If they recap the honey I move it to the edge of the box.
    BTW, I am all for feeding honey but I am curious as to why you want to "give this honey back to the bees and keep the newer stuff they collect for us." The "newer stuff" is the same honey and is no better or worse than the original, honey doesn't go bad.

The "old" honey while it may not go bad is in brood frames. We gave the hives a quart of syrup in Fall also.

Thanks. I just hope we don't have a queen problem right off the bat with the one hive. Is there any other reason there would be a small glob of bees near the entrance of a hive?

A very small clump of bees was noticed this afternoon near the hive. There was a queen in the middle of a handful of bees. She had a blue dot. Funny thing is I looked at our queens while they were in the cages and I did not notice any dots! Can't say 100%. We can't look in our newly installed hives for the queen. These hives were installed one Saturday and one Sunday. The north hive had a lighter queen installed in it and this blue-dot queen was also same color but seemed slightly longer??

It's raining now. We scooped up the queen and put her in the north hive. Whatever shakes out will shake out.

Quote Originally Posted by Bee Bliss View Post
    We scooped up the queen and put her in the north hive. Whatever shakes out will shake out.
    Fingers crossed...

I gave my package three partial frames of honey and the rest drawn comb. The honey frames were put in the middle, right or wrong. These combs already had a dome shape and I figured the bees would put nectar in the outside frames that were empty. Well I could think it to death but the bees are going to do what the heck they want. And they did. I put another box of foundation on so the queen would have room.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

Quote Originally Posted by Acebird View Post
    I have drawn frames up the ying yang
    Quote Originally Posted by Acebird View Post
    I put another box of foundation on so the queen would have room.
    Why wouldn't you give them drawn comb?

Beginners would have been delighted to have a single box of drawn comb...
    BeeCurious
    Trying to think inside the box...

Quote Originally Posted by BeeCurious View Post
    Why wouldn't you give them drawn comb?
    Because that is what I got and at the moment way too much of it. Do you know someone that would like to trade new frames for drawn comb... oh God the frames have not been glued, must not be worth anything.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping