Help with nucs

Thread: Help with nucs

Default Help with nucs

I just got some nucs and I need help figuring out how to make them work with medium boxes, all the frames in the nucs are deep frames and all the frames/boxes in the hives are mediums......

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Help with nucs

full nucs of bees or just nuc boxes?

It's a five frame nuc full of bees and I need to transfer to the mediums.

OK. Stack 2 med boxes with 5 frames removed from both then transfer your new deep frames in the same order as they are now into the resulting cavity. Yes, they will probably draw comb on the bottoms of those deep frames but you can replace them later.

That's what I was thinking of doing but then how can I get them off those frames as soon as possible. There will be brood in there and I don't want them on those frames going into winter....

let them build out a deep full and add your mediums on top. If you can overwinter them in a deep and 3 mediums, you could remove the deep in the spring and you would be all mediums.
    Technology is great.....when it works.

You could make a cover with a cutout to fit the nuc box, stack your 2 med boxes and place it on them, then place the nuc on this cutout so the hive entrance is the only entrance and wait for them to move down I suppose but it seems like a lot of unnecessary trouble, those frames won't hurt anything like that as you will need at least 3 or, more likely, 4 mediums for winter in Minnesota. Personally I'd just leave them in.

I don't have any deeps

@vikingjim you would leave the frames from the nuc in and let them build comb under it?

Sure. As long as it's straight it won't hurt anything. If you REALLY want them off of it though, start by removing the frames which contain only pollen and nectar and just set them outside of the hive and, if they are strong nucs, split the broodnest with your medium frames so that once the brood on the separated deep frame has emerged you can remove it as well, then do it again until they are all mediums.

Moving them off the combs they have built is both risky and costly. The bees put alot of work into building that comb and have brood there that you will need. I think the minimal cost/effort of either supering your nuc with a medium nuc box and having them move up (temporary solution) or if they are not overflowing just getting (buying/borrowing) a deep with 5 deep frames, would get your bees off to a better start and allow you to move towards your management goal of all mediums.

Focus on whats good for the bees instead of the ideal management style.
    Technology is great.....when it works.

Make a 3 in shim and put it under the hive body, put the 5 deep frames in the middle, put the super frames out side of them, over time move the deep frames to the outside, or buy or build a deep...........

I went with VikingJims original idea. Thanks everyone