The billion little things that make a beekeeper's life easier - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Default Re: The billion little things that make a beekeeper's life easier

When a soon to be beekeeper places their first equipment order, order at least 3 hive tools. That will get you through the first month of beekeeping. On the 2nd order, get more. Clothes dryers eat socks, but I don't know what eats hive tools. I just know I have one or two of whatever they are.
    The more I learn about bees, the less I know.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Put your baseball cap on backwards. Then put your veil on. This will keep your long hair away from your face and eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    A billion? Really? That's all I will say.
    Well, ok then The 300. Wait wasn't that a movie.

Quote Originally Posted by linn View Post
    Put your baseball cap on backwards. Then put your veil on. This will keep your long hair away from your face and eyes.
    Hmmm I put mine in forwards under the ventilated hat and veil, it helps keep the front tilted up.

Quote Originally Posted by jbeshearse View Post
    Hmmm I put mine in forwards under the ventilated hat and veil, it helps keep the front tilted up.
    yup after your first time you do a cut out the requires looking up, you will put a hat on brim forward after that to keep the screen off of your face

Well, ok then The 300. Wait wasn't that a movie.
    I don't know why you put a number on it at all. And I disagreed with a couple you Posted. But I didn't want to argue, so I didn't Post what I wrote. What's a billion between friends?
    Mark Berninghausen

Watch the entrance, if the girls are bringing in pollen the queen is inside the hive, you don't need to dig around inside in attempt to locate her. Step away and let bees be bees.

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    I don't know why you put a number on it at all. And I disagreed with a couple you Posted. But I didn't want to argue, so I didn't Post what I wrote. What's a billion between friends?
    I won't argue please post em. I need to learn how to make my life easier.

So no number.

bees bringing in pollen is no indication of being queen right. just an old wives tale. this is what bees do. when they stop bringing in pollen there is none available or they are dead.

5. Slide frames back in by sliding the endbars against the adjoining frame instead of placing the frame in boax and sliding it against the adjoining frame. Crush less bees this way
    Thanks for the great post - my first year so really appreciate this list. I don't quite understand #5. Can you explain what you mean another way for me? Thanks again.

Erik
    In my second winter with 3 Langs and 2 Top Bar hives
    https://beeswitheeb.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by erikebrown View Post
    Thanks for the great post - my first year so really appreciate this list. I don't quite understand #5. Can you explain what you mean another way for me? Thanks again.

Erik
    As you place a frame back into its slor. Scrub the edge of the end bars against the frame you are placing it against. Think about it this way, if you place the frame all the way down on the frame rest and then slide it against the frame beside it, you trap bees between the end bars and crush them. If yo scrub the end bars together as you slide the frame back in, it forces the bees off the adjoining end bar so they get out of the way and don't get crushed. That is how I do it, maybe Mark has a better suggestion......

And good luck

Never use anything on the "sticky-board" that has a SCENT. It interferes with the communication pheremone in the brood boxes.

it forces the bees off the adjoining end bar so they get out of the way and don't get crushed. That is how I do it, maybe Mark has a better suggestion......

And good luck
    Not something I worry about. I'm cruel that way.

Placing the boxes diagonally across the up turned telescoping cover allows honey to drip down into the grass. I did that at a Beewellness Workshop this last year and got corrected by an Ontario Apiary Inspector. He said to set the supers in the cover, not across them. I don't use telescoping covers and I usually stand supers on end, sometimes on top of hives next door to the one I am working.

"For whole hive inspections, remove all but the bottom box to your "stack"." I don't automatically do that. It depends. What are you looking for? Disease? Queen presence and assessment of quality? Number of frames of brood to see how many can be taken away?

I don't know. I don't really have any "little things that make a beekeeper's life easier". I just do it. It's work. Good work. Work I choose to do. But I really don't buy the multiple hive tool idea. I have never seen a hive tool set off a bee hive.

That's all.
    Mark Berninghausen

I'm with Qdman...newbee here as well and thanks for sharing those things that your experience has taught you along the way.

Only thing I can even possibly add is that I saw a YouTube video from a bk back east about installing new packages. He placed the travel box in the bottom after removing about five frames and just let the girls come out on their own. Easy-peasy! SO much less upsetting to the girls than shaking them all out. When I saw that, it was definitely a moment of

When you think you are finished with a hive, step back and look closely at it. Is everything in order.
    Important to do every time. We often forget things.

Remember to take the hive tool out of your back pocket before getting in the truck, or sitting on the furniture. arrrhggg!

That first patty that goes on first thing in spring not only provides nourishment to the hive. It also gives you the ability to find queenless units or problem queens simply by watching how the party is consumed.
    we only target problem hives early days in spring and this trick throws is that red flag.

Quote Originally Posted by BeezWild View Post
    I'm with Qdman...newbee here as well and thanks for sharing those things that your experience has taught you along the way.

Only thing I can even possibly add is that I saw a YouTube video from a bk back east about installing new packages. He placed the travel box in the bottom after removing about five frames and just let the girls come out on their own. Easy-peasy! SO much less upsetting to the girls than shaking them all out. When I saw that, it was definitely a moment of
    Until they don't come out of the package and start building comb in it. Just rip the screen and dump them in. Then you don't have to worry about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Bee View Post
    When a soon to be beekeeper places their first equipment order, order at least 3 hive tools. That will get you through the first month of beekeeping. On the 2nd order, get more. Clothes dryers eat socks, but I don't know what eats hive tools. I just know I have one or two of whatever they are.
    Paint your hive tool a nice bright white, yellow, or shocking pink, so it's easy to find. While you're about it, paint the hammer, the fence stretchers, your favorite wrench . . . and whatever the neighbor borrows.

When your done for the day or if you have been in a diseased hive after your done place the end of you hive tool down into your smoker and squeeze the bellows a few times to clean it up and help stop the transfer of diseases.

When approaching a swarm of unkown origin, place your hand near the cluster before disturbing them. This will give you some indication of their temperament at the moment, some swarms can be quite defensive if they have been clustered in the open for any length of time.
    "Of all God's creatures, only the honeybee improves its environment and preys on no other species."--Haydon Brown

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast