Honey Super before 2nd Deep

Default Honey Super before 2nd Deep

Hello from south central Indiana. I've read posts about this topic, but am looking for some experiences others have had trying this method. I have enough drawn comb to fill two deep hive bodies. I installed a package of bees and gave them three frames of honey/pollen to start them off. Since all the frames are drawn, I'm considering adding a honey super on top of my first deep hive body once it's about 75% full. This will allow me to collect honey while at peak nectar flow. Once the major flow is done, I would remove the honey super(s) and install the deep body and feed them. Has anyone done this with success? Or, should I just be more patient and add the second deep before the super? Your thoughts are greatly appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Honey Super before 2nd Deep

I would definitely not remove all the honey and feed. I might remove 4 frames and leave 6. I would never remove all, specially from a package. I have a friend from Indiana and he said it takes 2 deeps to make it through winter. I would be patient give them girls some time and good honey nutrition not sugar and they will give more than a super. Just my 2 cents
    Nate Henderson
    "I hate being stung out of ignorance, but it sure happens a lot"

If you have drawn comb in the super it will work well. I do a variation with nucs in a divided deep where i put on an excluder and super. Then in August I pull the supers and add a divided second box and winter them as ten frame nucs. I feed the second box full.

I do something like this, but try to hit the early flow before i add a second brood box. Definitely takes some management but it ensure you get at least some honey.