Chicken Coop recommendations??? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Chicken Coop recommendations???

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

coop3.jpgcoop6.jpg Hope that helps

I would recommend building with new tools than buying a expensive piece of junk from a store. you can build a tractor coop ( which means it has wheels to move it around) and it could have decent size run ( where chickens scratch around during the day). I have 7 chickens. Had six previously but neighbors dogs tore thru chicken wire and killed all of them. Got two more chickens and they did it again only this time I was waiting and they will never kill another chicken. One did survive. I tell the story because there are more predators around than you would think. possums and coons are everywhere. I also trap and trap in town. There are the biggest and prettiest coons in town. they never fight over food and have the nicest coats. be careful. you will really like keeping chickens. they are curious and fun to have around. my daughter loves her chickens. (she is two and carries them around like they are babies.) Also i would have power in your coop for light. if you dont have light they will molt earlier and you will get less eggs. the light will simulate day length more than heat. they will keep themselves warm but will need more food in winter. good luck with the flock. also look for plans at backyard chicken website. remember tractor style coops.

I use Hog wire to keep out the coons. I lost a few chickens to foxes and coons even a bobcat. Once I changed to hog wire no more problems. They are a lot like Bee's . Learn as you go and ask 10 people and you will get many different answers. They are also a lot of fun. Also bury the wire about a foot down around the coop. Coons will dig to get in.

Not really a coop, but more of a concept for raising chickens. Take a look at Joel Salatin's videos on U-tube on pastured poultry and his egg mobiles. Lots of good ideas to be adapted from his techniques.

Hey thanks for the pics fraz.
    I appreciate it.

I miss having fowl.
    Thinking of getting a few just to help with some bug/spider abatement.
    I'm also considering hatching out a bunch of indigenous quail to run the yard...ya I know they will be gone soon but hey this area could use a few reintroduced.

We have a little 3/4 acre spot on the bottom of Mt Diablo.
    All sorts of critters that would want to rob from us but the dogs kept them under control.
    Once when the dogs were inside they went nuts so l let them out and they chased out a big ass lion that took a toll on my hens.
    I actually dug seeing a big cat.

Any ways I'm probably going to set up a pair of fancy hens and wad of quail with a low maintenance situation.
    Andy

I recommend buying manufactured coop. It has better resistance to weather conditions, better ventilation and constructing.
    Before deciding which one to buy I recommend reading some chicken coop reviews to have better understanding of the matter

I just discovered this thread and since I have got my first chicken( only 4 so far) I want to present my chicken coop wellness luxury hotel, which building was started by friends and finished by me.
    It has a drawer you can pull to clean, a heating plate for water not to freeze and LED lightning.

H1.jpg
    H2.jpg

Here they are, still too young to lay eggs and one of them outed himself to be a rooster ( Im living in suburban environment and now my neighbors have to put up with a bee colony and a rooster crowing in the voice of Joe Cocker )
    H3.jpg

It doesn't necessarily have to be a "chicken coop". My daughter just got herself 3 chickens for their suburban back yard. She did a search on CraigsList and found herself a childs play house, made out of wood. She used a pallet, adding some plywood for flooring, to make a floor for it, added some chicken wire on the windows, cut out a sliding door where the chickens can go in and out on the side into their little yard. I'll see if I can add an image. DSCN6402.jpgDSCN6404.jpgDSCN6406.jpg
    Some days it's not even worth chewing through the restraints.

Very cool...ladies room

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12