one frame of bees

Default one frame of bees

I have an overwintered colony with a visible Queen but only one frame of bees. My new Queens will not be here until the end of April. Should I wait and re-queen if the colony is still alive at that point or just remove the old queen and shake the bees out next to another colony? Thanks for advice

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: one frame of bees

If there aren't enough bees to care for the brood, it doesn't matter which queen is in there.

If you have one or more stronger hives with capped brood, you could add frames to the hive to boost the population and get it up above 'critical mass'. If the other hives are strong enough to support such a donation (swarm prevention...don't know how far toward swarm season you are), in my opinion it would be better to do that than just eliminating it.
    If you want to be successful, study successful people and do what they do.
    Zone 4a/b

Did you treat for mites?

Doug, you got good advice here, but consider placing the weak hive on top of the strong one, with 1/8 mesh between. The heat from the hive below will do wonders to kick start the weak colony. Give the weak one a little feed and a pollen frame, and see it take off. If you move frames you risk chilling the moved brood. With this method no one looses anything, only the weak colony gets free heat that otherwise would have been wasted.

I use those kind of hives to put extra bees and brood from hives that I think are taking off too fast. I think that it was last year that I had a hive that had dwindled to a couple of cups of bees. After adding a few frames of capped brood it ended up being my biggest honey producing hive with the same queen. Sometimes it doesn't work and I kill the queen and use the bees in cell builders or adding to other weaker hives.
    Bruce

Many good suggestions and they are all appreciated. This gives me something to work with.