just installed 2 packages of russians...

Default just installed 2 packages of russians...

Well waitting a while to warm up a bit more And getting hives ready. We put lemongrass drops in hives just about 5 or 6 drops each hive. We installed 1 package. We didnt spray sugar water at all. The install went good. Waited about a hr and installed 2nd package. We are feeding 1:1 syrup and pro bee patties. They are eating and drinking. They are flying around thier hives. Some on top cleaning themselves and others. Theres just a slight buzz in the air. They are using the top and bottom entrances going in and out. Both queens looked good and healthy. Things are going good so far. Ill post pics soon have to down size them. Feels good to get things going.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: just installed 2 packages of russians...

Cool! congrats, are these your first bees? Where did you find Russians? Last year I'd thought about getting russians but couldnt find any close by. Ended up with Carnies, wich I've discovered I really like.

They are from kellys. So i should say russian hybrids. Yes my first bees. I installed them early due to weather its suppose to get bad later with rain. I did order 2 pure russian queens from harry fulton a certified russian breeder. They will come late may early june. here are some pics. are these russian do they look it?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Billboard; 04-06-2015 at 02:15 PM.

Do these look russian or russian hybrid?

The bees in the package are most likely Italians, with a caged Russian queen.
    Buy the ticket, take the ride. -H.S. Thompson

These bees are remarkable they have been in the hives since 11 am and they are bringing back pollen already. If its not pollen then something else is in thier little sacs on thier legs. Its yellow real bright.
    Last edited by Billboard; 04-06-2015 at 05:23 PM.

no

theres some pictures in my last post and this one if not pollen what is it/

Thats Pollen! ) My carni package started bringing pollen in today with the sunshine we had. Installed Sat, rained through last night.

Same thing here Italian and carnis in the shook package, with a carni queen. I was expecting that though.

i just installed today at 11 am. they are bringing in pollen already. looks to be a good summer for them. and maybe a short feeding times. i can only see a huge weeping will 2 yards away, its the only yellow thing i see. they cant be going too far thier first day. i thought that was pollen looked like all the pictures. i just went out to look at them and they are all settling down and going in the hives. only a few flying around temps dropped about 7 or 8 degrees.

That's pollen all right! The bees in the pics look Italian to me, but as cg3 said, the packages probably came with a Russian Hybrid queen. This means that it will take a few weeks for your bees to be fully Russian Hybrid. When the bees begin to hatch, you should notice that there are a lot more dark bees. However, there will still be light bees as well.
    Keep you hive tool sharp, your smoker lit, and your veil tight ... It's Bee Time!

There does seem to be 2 color of bees. A lighter color and darker bees. The queen is definitely dark.

It's just a mismash of whatever bees the package supplier has along with a Russian queen. Italians I'm sure, but most likely all sorts of different genes in there.

That looks like an awful large amount of entrance for your bees to defend when they are this new. Consider closing them down some.

I did this morning. I made wooden plugs for the big top entrance. Reason to keep more heat in as temps dropped. So there's just 2 small ones now. Thanks

Bees will go miles to find pollen this time of year, and once they are oriented to your hive, they won't ever get lost coming back.

I have gray, yellow, orange, red, and pale green pollen when they can fly, it's been raining badly here and I've been in hospital all weekend. Looked good today between howling thunderstorms.

Bees are a blast!

Peter

Nice, Congrats on your first bees. I have two Russian Hybrid packages coming on the 18th as well as some Italians and Carni's. Look forward to seeing how they do compared to the Italians.