I've been conversing with AR Beekeeper about splitting my one hive this spring . His advice is to wait until I see swarm cells before we do it . I understand the reasoning behind this and agree that is sound advice ...but . What are the potential problems with doing it before I see swarm cells ? I plan on waiting unless it looks like it will cause problems with the second split I have planned , I must have frames of food/brood available for when my ordered queen becomes available . I doubt it'll be a problem , I was in the upper box this morning and my queen is a layin' machine , dozens if not hundreds of eggs laid in every available cell and they're drawing like mad - the bottom box is full of capped/uncapped brood and tons of pollen and some syrup/honey . A couple of half-frame sections are big cells , obviously for drone brood .
Hey , depending on how many queen cells they make and how strong the hive is I might be able to split off 2 at the first split- I have 2 each 4 frame and 5 frame nucs ready to go . This will put me at my projected maximum if all 4 make it thru the winter and I do straight even splits next year ... I need to balance the increase with the need to sell some honey this year to finance further expansion . The wife thinks this project should be showing some signs of being self-supporting by this summer , I'm more focused on a longer-range plan . I figger I have another 30 years considering my current health unless I do something stupid like another motorcycle wreck or death-by-jealous-husband .