how do I make honey syrup with which to spray package bees?

Default how do I make honey syrup with which to spray package bees?

Hi- I'm getting some supposedly clean honey, and am expecting two packages of Russians soon,
    Since it's recommended to spray the bees in the packages with syrup, how do I make a sprayable syrup from the honey? what would be the proportions of water and honey?
    Then, I;m going to just filll a plastic "frame-feeder" with honey; does that sound okay?
    thanks for your help

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: how do I make honey syrup with which to spray package bees?

By putting the honey in the cupboard and mixing 1 pint of water per each pound of plain white boring table sugar. There is absolutely no need to ever apply foreign honey to your bees, and some pretty huge reasons not to. There is little enough need for the sugar water spray.

Feed the same 1 pint water per one pound sugar (AKA 1 TO 1 SYRUP) to your bees via the feeder.

Never feed strange honey to your bees even if it is supposed to be clean. It is a good way to give them American Foul Brood - the worse possible disease they could get. And there is no need whatsoever to do it.
    Since '09-75H-T-Z6b

Agree with David. Never feed your bees honey from other sources. Certainly no reason to spray a package with anything other than water. Spray the cluster through the screened sides a bit and a bit through the feeder can hole. Then just shake them out like cornflakes into the hive. Simple as that.
    Bristol, WI 7 mi N of IL 15 mi W Lake Michigan
    23 years Treatments as needed.

I know there are sometimes suggestions and videos saying to spray the bees with sugar water while in the package prior to hiving them. I've done it but don't any longer. It didn't particularly make the hiving and easier and certainly not quicker. It did make things stickier which can be a pain. However, if you do want to spray them down with sugar water, then 1:1 (one part sugar to one part water), well mixed in a spray bottle will be fine. You can also fill your frame feeder with 1:1 as well. I'd forego the honey. One more thing is that if it's a cool and windy day, spraying the bees takes a lot of heat off of them. I'd rather not chill my bees so think about it as you hive.
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

I agree with the other posters. Totally unneccessary to spray bees at installation.
    Buy the ticket, take the ride. -H.S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by seasideroses View Post
    Hi- I'm getting some supposedly clean honey, and am expecting two packages of Russians soon,
    Since it's recommended to spray the bees in the packages with syrup, how do I make a sprayable syrup from the honey? what would be the proportions of water and honey?
    Then, I;m going to just filll a plastic "frame-feeder" with honey; does that sound okay?
    thanks for your help
    Feeding honey that may have nosema spores to your bees is not a good idea.

thank you all for your answers.
    It seems like it's probably not necessary to spray the bees at all prior to installing them; maybe the books suggest it in case you have to wait a long time before you install them.
    It seems that each book has a different idea about how to do it.

Well, I talked to the beekeeper that produces the honey that is supposedly "clean" (recommended by the prez of humboldt bee society), and he recommended that I just use sugar syrup. He confirmed that he doesn't use antibiotics or any chemicals, etc,, but said that he still uses sugar syrup. He also wasn't able to sell me any large quantities anyway.

So, I figure that if he uses it, and has a successful honey-selling operation, then I might as well stick to that, even though I wish I could use honey!