Beekeeping Suit advice - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Beekeeping Suit advice

I bit the bullet and bought an ultra breeze last year. The single best piece of equipment I own. I wear it to keep ticks off mainly but did a huge take out in an apartment yesterday and wore it. The hive was queen less and with the work I did they were mad as bees get. They were in kamikaze mode iykwim. It was warm and a regular suit would have been 50 pounds of sweaty cotton and full of stingers.
    As for the advertised "kit"??? I still don't get it. With all the money they raised by begging they still want more.
    People should be getting MONEY BACK! It's crazy to me that this public funding takes off like it does when it comes to beekeeping.
    I'd bet that is a company was trying to fund something to disable texting while driving they wouldn't get 1% of the money that flow has gotten.
    Just my observation but I feel a lot of new beekeepers are funding this new flow hive. Nearly all new beekeepers I've come in contact with love gimmicks. It is their way that they will become better beekeepers than anyone else in their first year.
    NBKS=NEW Bee Keeper syndrome

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Ultrabreeze.......nough said.

I have these http://ecologicalsolutions.com.au/bees/?page_id=8
    But I'm biased - ventilated and only $ 120 Australian
    from the Bee House -http://ecologicalsolutions.com.au/bees/?page_id=8
    40 years - +/- 20 H - TF - Subtropical

Quote Originally Posted by dynemd View Post
    I was not going to say anything except for the fact the photo is of ME on my veranda with one of my top bar hives right at the base of the treeline....

Cotton Suits really do serve a purpose. They are great suits to own especially when things are going to get really sticky.

Ventilated Suits are so much more comfortable when the sun is bearing down on you. In saying that, some people are concerned about getting sunburned.

Both serve an important purpose, but my go to favourite for quickly checking a hive is a Ventilated Jacket.

It is nice to have a variety.

I received a full cotton suit as a father's day gift. My biggest complaint is the veil with is like the one pictured above. The veil netting is constantly pushing up against the tip of my nose. I mentioned this to one of the OSBA Fall Conference vendors and they said to "fix that problem" all I needed was to wear a ball cap under the veil. I tried that and then the veil screening was pushed up against my chin! I wouldn't give 2 cents for such a new veil. The round ones work great unless it's a windy day, then I feel like I'm imitating "The Flying Nun" t.v. show.

Quote Originally Posted by BMB View Post
    I posted a similar message under the Flow Hive thread, but think this may deserve it's own. I would appreciate if anyone can take a quick look at the beesuit offering from Flow Hive and let me know if they think the beesuit offering is a really good deal.

http://www.honeyflow.com/shop/bee-suits/p/96

From the images on that page it looks like a quality product, but I am really curious if others think the "special price" of $69 for Cotton Suit, Goatskin gloves and J tool is a really good deal. I suppose the real question is what the shipping charges are, but if they can ship with the Flow Hive, $69 seems like a really good deal. I have seem those nice goatskin gloves by themselves costing $29 locally!
    Beesuit is not where you want to cheap out. Get a ventilated suit or you'll burn up. The organic thing cracks me up. Granola hippies will buy anything with organic in the name.

Great point about the veil! We actually feel the same way and redesigned the veils in order to address the collapsing sides you mentioned found in cheaper suits. We have great feedback from customers on this custom redesign. All of our Clearly Sustainable branded beekeeping suits have a custom designed hood with a thicker mesh side to keep the hood shape and the thinner mesh front for optimal visibility.

DSC_6962_540x.jpg

The attached photo shows the veil with on the cotton suit

As for the organic, we sell more conventional cotton due to the cost of organic fabric but the general feedback from the organic buyer is that they appreciate having an organic cotton option as those customers are concerned about pesticides, and especially pesticides used in cotton production impacting bees. However, everyone has an opinion on the subject. We just offer both and let the customer decide.

Sounds like the OP is going to give money to Flow Hive regardless, but I'll say as a new beekeeper, in my first year, I can't imagine a cotton suit. I too didn't want to spend "a bunch of money" so I debated long and hard... and ended up just ordering an UltraBreeze ventilated jacket. I know for me, even when it's only 80 degrees, and I'm in jeans and a t-shirt, I think it's hot... and that is with a breeze blowing. I'm sure maybe a little of that is stress on my part, and getting anxious, but I'm still very happy with my decision to get a good jacket. It IS worth the money. Aside from the ventilated part, it's a durable jacket and the veil sits well on your head. I guess in short, even the vented jackets/suits are hot... in my opinion... the unvented... I can't even imagine.

There is a site called http://www.custombeesuits.com that makes custom bee suits and jackets. If you want just the right fit I might give them a shot. The prices are reasonable as well. Shipping is free.
    Scott Derrick- Creator Of - Honey-B-Gone Swarm Commander

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12