Beekeeping Suit advice
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Beekeeping Suit advice

I posted a similar message under the Flow Hive thread, but think this may deserve it's own. I would appreciate if anyone can take a quick look at the beesuit offering from Flow Hive and let me know if they think the beesuit offering is a really good deal.

http://www.honeyflow.com/shop/bee-suits/p/96

From the images on that page it looks like a quality product, but I am really curious if others think the "special price" of $69 for Cotton Suit, Goatskin gloves and J tool is a really good deal. I suppose the real question is what the shipping charges are, but if they can ship with the Flow Hive, $69 seems like a really good deal. I have seem those nice goatskin gloves by themselves costing $29 locally!

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Beekeeping Suit advice

Goatskin gloves $15, Nice J-Hook tool $9
    That suit makes me sweat just looking at it, it'll be mighty warm working bees this summer!
    I'd splurge for a $140-$150 Ventilated suit if it were me, click these: Dadant or Mann Lake
    I just gave away my original hot cloth suit that I suffered with for my first month, and then got smart and splurged for the sweet ventilated suit that I enjoy to this day.
    If you only have a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.
    Abraham Maslow

Are you buying a FlowHive as well? Beekeeping isn't as simple as might be assumed from some of the FlowHive ads. Get in touch with an experienced beekeeper in your area and make sure you know all that is involved with maintaining a healthy colony before you get neck deep into it.

Good luck!
    Working beeyards at 7700' elevation in Ponderosa pine forest.
    Visit us at Best Raw Honey

I think my full cotton suit with zip on veil was only about $40 or so at the state bee meeting.
    I tried the j-hook at first, but the "traditional" shape works better for me.
    I saw some at the "China Store" for about $3
    My wife bought the goatskin gloves but I don't think I have ever used them.
    quite a bother to get on with a suit or jacket. ( and then you are in gloves!!!).
    just life as I saw it ... CE
    Started summer of 2013, just another new guy, tinkering with bees.

looks like the one I have
    I got it $35 free shipping ebay.
    it is warm, and make sure you order it one size larger than you need (little short in the crotch)

The price is extremely good, but would you wear a full suit? If so go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by dynemd View Post
    Goatskin gloves $15, Nice J-Hook tool $9
    That suit makes me sweat just looking at it, it'll be mighty warm working bees this summer!
    Thread should have been locked after this post. That's all you need to know. Buy a ventilated jacket and forget the cotton suit. I don't wear gloves and surely not the bulky beekeeper gloves. I am rethinking my stance on gloves and will likely start wearing nitrile mechanics gloves, until it gets hot then I'll probably go back to commando hands.
    The more I learn about bees, the less I know.

Ditto what these guys said. Ive got a non vent jacket and a Dadant full vented suit. The Dadant still gives me chills and is still one of the best investments though would probably just go with the jacket next time...but then again, the full vent suit is a no penalty for safety (after getting a few up my pant leg last month- still didnt get stung though!).
    Zone 8a - Elev.~ 1,100 ft. Sandy, OR.
    Apiculture: A culmination of animal husbandry and alchemy.

100% buy a ventilated suit. If you get the ,ML suit the screen is close to your face. A bend in the center helps. I wear shorts under mine and if it wasn't for a ventilated suit I would probably had to seriously downsize. Hot and humid in FL.

Ventilated all the way. I got 2 Ultrabreeze suits. Much coin but I am in South Texas.

I don't see that a fund raiser is the best way to find the best price on the best bee suit... The idea is to raise funds, not give you the best bargain...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

Another vote for Ultrabreeze! Going on 4 years with mine, and never been stung through it or have a bee get inside. Plus, the ventilation aspect really works and is much appreciated in the Summer.
    --shinbone
    (1975-1980, and now since 2011; maintain about 10 hives; Zone 5b; 15" rain; 5500')

Quote Originally Posted by tech.35058 View Post
    I think my full cotton suit with zip on veil was only about $40 or so at the state bee meeting.
    I tried the j-hook at first, but the "traditional" shape works better for me.
    I saw some at the "China Store" for about $3
    My wife bought the goatskin gloves but I don't think I have ever used them.
    quite a bother to get on with a suit or jacket. ( and then you are in gloves!!!).
    just life as I saw it ... CE
    I have a full suit from Brushy Mountain, it can get a little warm in August but most of the time here in central Maine I appreciate the warmth.

I have 4 different types of hive tools that I use regularly, including the j-hook.

I don't like getting stung, so I'm always protected, jacket gloves and veil at least...full suit if I'm really ripping into them, or if the wife has the jacket.

I can work with the gloves on, and they keep -me- calm, which means that the bees don't get riled up either (most of the time...'cept when I mash a bunch trying to get boxes back together)...I don't need to prove I'm 'tough' by taking stings. I've been stung but I'd rather not be if I can avoid it.
    If you want to be successful, study successful people and do what they do.
    Zone 4a/b

ultrabreeze full suit i got mine for 189.00 regular price is 249.00
    I have heard good things about the jester bees ventilated suit..for 150.00 it also has brass zippers but i havnt seen these in person...

lincoln electric tig welding gloves these go under the elastic cuffs of the ultrabreeze( i like to put them on first then slip on the suit. these are 13.00. I think its nonsense to get a ventilated suit then put gloves on that cover above your elbows in solid fabric. even the ventilated bee keeping gloves only have a small strip of fabric that ventilated near the wrist. these welding gloves are great quality super soft and thick enough to resist stings but dont kill the dexterity of your fingers too much. of course a nitrile glove feels great as its pretty much a second skin but in florida those get hot and full of sweat. i ordered 5 pairs of gloves from amazon ranging from 10.00 to 35.00 and these were the winner
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

kent williams hive tool Best one i have used! best features of a couple of tools built into one solid tool. https://www.kelleybees.com/Shop/7/Ne...5/KW-Hive-Tool

or amazon has a knockoff hive tool not as thick as the kent williams but same design for 8 dollars cheaper http://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Stee...ords=hive+tool

buy once cry once. the cotton suit will cook you in summer depending where you live.
    Last edited by fivekai; 04-09-2015 at 04:15 PM.

Thank you. The ultrabreeze suit sounds good, but $189 is a little steep for me. I am going to go with the one that helps out these guys as I really like what they are doing and the suit seems like a pretty good deal at with free worldwide shipping. It is not the cheapest, but I think it is going to a good cause

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/f...erk_id=2792534

Quote Originally Posted by BMB View Post
    Thank you. The ultrabreeze suit sounds good, but $189 is a little steep for me. I am going to go with the one that helps out these guys as I really like what they are doing and the suit seems like a pretty good deal at with free worldwide shipping. It is not the cheapest, but I think it is going to a good cause
    A "good cause"? A commercial venture? With all of the millions they've already raised, do you really think they need your money more than you do? If you have money to just toss away, toss some this way. I'm a good cause too.
    If you want to be successful, study successful people and do what they do.
    Zone 4a/b

>The ultrabreeze suit sounds good, but $189 is a little steep for me.

Until you've almost fainted from heat stroke you will think that. After that you will think it is cheap at twice the price.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

[QUOTE=BMB;1245408]I posted a similar message under the Flow Hive thread, but think this may deserve it's own. I would appreciate if anyone can take a quick look at the beesuit offering from Flow Hive and let me know if they think the beesuit offering is a really good deal.

http://www.honeyflow.com/shop/bee-suits/p/96

i don't see any problem with overheating as long as you go barefoot as shown in the add

I didn't realize this part.
    "These quality cotton beekeeper suits will ship complete with a Flow™ logo and "Founding supporter 2015" slogan on the breast pocket"
    I don't see why you need shoes, or for that matter a full suit when all one has to do is sneak around the back of the hive to turn the spigot on...
    We'll see how this whole thing works out, but I'm skeptical.
    If you only have a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.
    Abraham Maslow

If you're in san diego, you will burn up in that suit. I'm in Oklahoma and get hot in a ventilated suit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast