My wax dipping tank setup - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: My wax dipping tank setup

That is a great setup. I have been planning on building a setup but this setup is way more than I had even imagined. Good job.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by gravelroad View Post
    Heat is required to turn liquid propane in to gas inside of the tank. The colder the tank the slower the conversion happens. I have tried years ago to find the math on this but was unable to.

It's better to run a high pressure regulator on the tank. The more you use the system with out one the more the propane will pull the oils out of the hose and they will end up in the burner. It can also be looked at as a safety issue, but that's another day.

A larger tank or dropping the tank into a large drum of water should solve the freeze up issue.
    I am not wanting to get off topic but for safety sake :
    I was definitely not implying to stop using a regulator. In fact with the set up I suggested you would have to use a twin regulator (a regulator that converts tank pressure to 12" water column.)
    Liquid propane boils at -40 degrees F . The closer you get to this temperature inside the propane tank the less pressure you have(as Ian stated). The suggestion of connecting the 4 tanks together would increase the amount of vapor space by 4. Thus giving you what is equivalent to a tank 4 times the size of a BBQ tank. A larger tank ,as you said, will also solve the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by rg58612455 View Post
    I am not wanting to get off topic but for safety sake :
    I was definitely not implying to stop using a regulator. In fact with the set up I suggested you would have to use a twin regulator (a regulator that converts tank pressure to 12" water column.)
    Liquid propane boils at -40 degrees F . The closer you get to this temperature inside the propane tank the less pressure you have(as Ian stated). The suggestion of connecting the 4 tanks together would increase the amount of vapor space by 4. Thus giving you what is equivalent to a tank 4 times the size of a BBQ tank. A larger tank ,as you said, will also solve the issue.
    I under stood what you were saying. My post was not directed at you in any way. My post was mostly a resonance from post #8 and #10.

Very nice!
    Did you have the machine shop design this or did you design?
    thanks

Definitely would like to see a video of this in action! I'd be dipping everything that I could get my hands on
    Zone 7a - 1650ft

Quote Originally Posted by dermotjones View Post
    Very nice!
    Did you have the machine shop design this or did you design?
    thanks
    Designed it myself

Would you be willing to share or sell plans of the design?, I need to have one made a little but bigger, would love to have a starting point. also sent you a PM

I can't tell...but do you have some water in the bottom? I'd be a bit nervous putting wax directly onto a heated, metal surface. Not only the prospect of a fire but also overheating the wax and discoloring it.
    I have a small Dadant stainless uncapping tank that allows for a electric heating element and an insert to keep objects in the tank off of the element. You can put water in the tank..the idea is to be able to uncrystallize pails of honey. But...I have thought about using it as a wax dipping tank. Thread in the element, add the spacing gizmo, six or eight inches of water...then wax on top.
    Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted. - Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by beemandan View Post
    I can't tell...but do you have some water in the bottom? I'd be a bit nervous putting wax directly onto a heated, metal surface. Not only the prospect of a fire but also overheating the wax and discoloring it.
    I have a small Dadant stainless uncapping tank that allows for a electric heating element and an insert to keep objects in the tank off of the element. You can put water in the tank..the idea is to be able to uncrystallize pails of honey. But...I have thought about using it as a wax dipping tank. Thread in the element, add the spacing gizmo, six or eight inches of water...then wax on top.
    No water is in it. One thing to keep in mind is that when you're heating it up, the wax is absorbing the heat as its getting warm, so its not like placing wax directly on a 500 degree hot metal plate all at once. Also I start the flame out on "low" for an hour or so before I really start to crank it up which should allow for a good pool of liquid wax to form on the bottom helping to transfer the heat. With that being said do I think its the safest thing in the world... no absolutely not. That's why when I run it I've got it surrounded by sandbags and about 5-6 large fire extinguishers handy. I do want to find a way to use an electric heating element(s) as open flame and wax do make me a bit nervous.

That is a real man's FryDaddy!!!!!

You throw whole fish and potatoes in that bad boy for dinner.
    Zone 7a - 1650ft

IMO, you should NEVER put water into a dipping tank. The water will begin to boil off at 212 degrees, stealing heat by evaporation and you will have to boil it all off before you can get to 270 degrees, adding hours to your day, and costing you money.

But primarily, it is dangerous. The boiling water causes the wax to foam, potentially causing the tank to overflow. Definite fire hazard. Don't want to see anyone make the evening news this way.
    Hindsight is 20/10, not 20/20...
    After the fact, I always know what didn't work.

I've used submersible, thermostatically controlled heaters for the water jacket in my bottling tank for years and have never brought the water anywhere near boiling. I've saw an old beekeeper with a propane heated melting tank that he used to make his own wax foundation. Again...he had water in the bottom and never had a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Bdfarmer555 View Post
    you will have to boil it all off before you can get to 270 degrees, adding hours to your day, and costing you money.
    What is 270 degrees all about?
    Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted. - Emerson

I use water for melting wax, but this thread, I believe, is about dipping boxes. For that, I heat the wax to 270 degrees.
    Hindsight is 20/10, not 20/20...
    After the fact, I always know what didn't work.

Quote Originally Posted by Bdfarmer555 View Post
    but this thread, I believe, is about dipping boxes.
    I totally missed that. Just about the time I start thinking that I'm pretty smart....something like this pops up just to remind me how dumb I can be.

My best excuse, if I have to conjure one up, is that I've been in the middle of pouring candles....many are tapers....and it had crossed my mind that a candle dipping tank might shorten the process. If that excuse doesn't fly....just chalk it up to general lunacy.
    Last edited by beemandan; 12-18-2016 at 10:02 AM.

Ian G,

would you mind posting an update on how your dipping tank is working out for you after a couple years of use? do you have any pictures of boxes that have been out in the field for a couple seasons now? I'm curious how dark they look compare to the paraffin/ rosin boxes I've seen that get pretty dark after a few years of use. Are you happy you went with the 50/50 microcrystalline/parafin blend instead of rosin? Also, have you put anymore thought into converting your tank to be electrically heated? thanks.

-cole

I also wax dip my boxes and some I sell. 75% wax 25% pine rosin from firestarter.com - .50 a pound. I went cheap. Got an old 250 gallon propane tank - cut it about 2/3 - added legs and stood it upright. Works great - 4 deeps at a time

Sak, do you use beeswax or paraffin?
    The more I learn about bees, the less I know.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian G View Post
    ...I do want to find a way to use an electric heating element(s) as open flame and wax do make me a bit nervous.
    Have you considered incorporating 'induction' heat sources? You could make one yourself that would be very efficient heating the stainless. Here is a YT video about the concept. The coil does not get hot but does excite electrons to make heat, you can touch the coil and not get burned. See induction cook tops.
    ...We don't see things as they are, we see things as WE are...

I like the idea of using induction heating. I can't think of a safer way to heat wax. Powerblanket makes one that wraps around a 55 gallon barrel, it will heat the material inside the barrel up to 400F. It is also flame-proof. Powerblanket 400 is the
    Model.

Quote Originally Posted by sakhoney View Post
    I also wax dip my boxes and some I sell. 75% wax 25% pine rosin from firestarter.com - .50 a pound. I went cheap. Got an old 250 gallon propane tank - cut it about 2/3 - added legs and stood it upright. Works great - 4 deeps at a time
    I don't think this company is in business any more??? Can you confirm?
    Thanks
    "Challenger" as in the Mopar muscle car. Not a personality description .
    Keeping bees to raise money for chordoma.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast