The Ultimate Hive Feeder
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default The Ultimate Hive Feeder

Hey guys I was wanting your input. I am pretty sure I have come up with the ultimate hive feeder. It would eliminate robbing and drowned bees, allow for significant more time between having to refill the feeder, possibly allow for syrup feeding through winter for most parts of the US and it would be simple and easy to use. I trying to find out if there would be a market for such a feeder before I start to devote my time and money into it.

What do you all think? Id love to hear your thoughts. Also what else would you guys want out of a feeder? No idea is too crazy....

Another quick question...how much or often do Comercial Apiaries feed? The design has huge Comercial implications.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: The Ultimate Hive Feeder

So I'm guessing that no one thinks trying to make a better feeder is a good idea?

Bees won't take liquid feed in the winters we have here in the US in most parts. Never a good idea to ADD moisture to a hive in the cold months unless you like dead bees come spring.

Quote Originally Posted by Pathfinder View Post
    So I'm guessing that no one thinks trying to make a better feeder is a good idea?
    People have to stumble across your Thread, read it, have something to say in response, and then Post it. An hour and a half isn't long at all for a Thread to go unanswered.

You've already come up with the design? And it is significantly different than anything else on the market today? Can you fill it without opening the hive? What does it look like? What makes it different?

I see by your profile that you are 33 years old and nothing else. Are you an engineer? Are you a beekeeper? How many hives and for how many years?
    Mark Berninghausen

My feeder is just fine. A simple gallon can. Cheap enough. Easy to use. You can buy them everywhere. I can feed one can at a time, or up to 5 at once if heavy feeding is necessary for winter. When located on the top bars, the bees warm the syrup making Fall feeding easier. Any drip goes on the bees, and they clean it up immediately....prevents robbing. Feeder can be located on the feed hole for spring maintenance feeding.

Convince me that I need something "better".

It was 13 hours if you look at the time stamps Sqkcrk.

Mr. Beeman thanks for the constructive input. I was wishy washy on the winter feeding idea. It was more of an afterthought anyhow. I can definitely see how condensation could be a problem.

Just to clarify guys I'm not asking anyone to help me design it. I've already gotten it designed for the most part. I'm just trying to determin if people would be interested in a better system of feeding. I'm a new Beek and I'm not happy with the current feeders and was wondering if others feel the same way. Also I was wondering what you guys think is important for a feeder or you'd like to see in the perfect feeder.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Palmer View Post
    Convince me that I need something "better".
    A better can? You use conventional paint can style or something with a thread on lid? Or do you not even use a lid?
    Regards, Barry

Mr. Palmer how many hives do you feed at a time? What if I said my method could easily feed an entire hive yard at once and save you time?

You need to research the current methods of feeding and tell us what you're proposing would improve what we're already doing. Many of us are very satisfied with our current and varied methods of feeding, but of course always open to something new and better.

BTW, at this time of year, many beeks are not posting regularly.... we're out working in the yards....
    http://OxaVap.com Your source for the ProVap 110
    OA Vaporizer. The fastest vaporizer on the market!

I'm a hobbyist and I'm always open to a new feeder. The top qualities I look for are : Eliminate Drowning, easy access, drip free materials, decent quantity, easy to clean. Good materials always a plus.

Cheap would be a plus, too.
    Tough to offer an opinion on so little info.
    Buy the ticket, take the ride. -H.S. Thompson

Hey guys I was wanting your input. I am pretty sure I have come up with the ultimate hive feeder.
    Check out this "ultimate bee feeder".

https://www.beesource.com/forums/show...eder-in-Action

http://collinsbeefeeder.com/Home_Page.html
    Last edited by BeeCurious; 03-22-2015 at 09:02 AM. Reason: Added link
    BeeCurious
    Trying to think inside the box...

If it isn't as revolutionary as The Flow Hive I don't see how it can beat what's already on the market. But I do have a limited imagination.

Cheap. Easy to fill. Easily stored or always in the hive where it's needed. Drowns no or at least fewer bees. Easy to install. Those are some of the characteristics that come to my mind.

Michael Palmer runs around 800 hives and feeds those that need feeding. Which may or may not be all of them. If you don't mind me answering for you Michael.
    Mark Berninghausen

Quote Originally Posted by BeeCurious View Post
    Check out this "ultimate bee feeder".

https://www.beesource.com/forums/show...eder-in-Action
    Is "Ultimate Bee Feeder" copyrighted? Better beware if it is.
    Mark Berninghausen

Thanks again for the replies. I haven't named it yet that is just the subject title. As revolutionary as the FlowHive? Ehhh. That's my problem right now....getting feedback without giving too much of its workings away because it is different and I do not have a patent on it yet. Let me do this. I'll compare it to typical feeders and you all can tell me if you think it's something I should run with. I am a former Marine, Paramedic by day..new Beek by night that just happened to come up with an idea I think may make feeding hives, esspecially multiple hives, much simpler.

Boardman Feeder: Mine doesn't allow for robbing and the amount of feed is exponentially more yet it is just as easy to handle.

Hive top feeder: Bees won't drown in mine and when manipulating a hive you don't have to worry about feed in the feeder. Also you would have to fill it less than even a hivetop feeder.

Pale feeder: This one is so simple and cheap that it is hard to beat. One way mine would be better is it is easier to fill and manipulating it on the hive is easier. Also mine is no mess and you would have to lug heavy pales of feed to the hives. Mine also has the potential to feed for longer between refills if you should so need.

Thanks again for the input. I just wanted to get a feeler out there to see if there would be a market for it because I am a new Beek and I don't want to spend a ton of time and moneyon something no one would want.
    Last edited by Pathfinder; 03-22-2015 at 09:46 AM.

I think all of us would be interested in new options for feeding our honies. I might add that for many the amount of feed can be an issue (fermentation). Seems 1-2 gallons per hive mounted feeder is the limit and even then some gets tossed. Drowning and price are usually the determining factors as well as not disturbing the hive (for some). As long as its reasonably priced and can be marketed...
    Zone 8a - Elev.~ 1,100 ft. Sandy, OR.
    Apiculture: A culmination of animal husbandry and alchemy.

If it's airtight do you think fermentation wouldn't be such a problem?

An automatic top off unit. Feeding from a a 55gal drum back filled with nitrogen gas. I already use one close to this to keep the water level consistent in my Reef tank. Would need too many floats and tubing along with a controler to make this cost effective. But yes it could be done.

I'm waiting on my patent pending paperwork to go through so I can talk about it more but your thinking on the rigt track. My design is much simpler and more cost effective and the feeder on the hive is a better hive top feeder on the market by light years in and of itself.

If it's airtight do you think fermentation wouldn't be such a problem?
    It would have to be completely vacuumed of air to not be. Fermentation can occur regardless of being airtight. There'd still be air.
    Zone 8a - Elev.~ 1,100 ft. Sandy, OR.
    Apiculture: A culmination of animal husbandry and alchemy.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast