Pay your state bee fees! I was a fugitive from justice
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Pay your state bee fees! I was a fugitive from justice

I'm not sure this is the correct forum to post this in, but I have to share this. I don't think I already have.

This happened in February and I copied and pasted it from a deer hunting forum I frequent. I had forgotten about it until someone reminded me of it today. It's too frustrating and funny not to share.

Originally posted 2/2/15

Ladies and Gentlemen, I'm gonna go ahead and confess. Looks like I've been one of Alabamas most wanted for the past 5 months. It all came to a head this afternoon. I've been caught up with.

Last week I get an email from the state asking me if I still had honeybees. I responded, "Yes, why do you ask?" I was informed that I had failed to send in my colony registration money when it was due in October. The lady said she would mail me a registration and to fill it out and send it in.

I got a phone call today showing "Montgomery, AL" on the caller ID. It was this districts state bee inspector. He asked me if I still had honeybees. I told him yes. He told me I hadn't paid my registration for the year. I told him I had forgotten to send it in and a lady from the state had already contacted me about it. I asked him why he was calling me. His response, "I'm sitting in your driveway, I thought I'd call you and see if we could take care of this."

Boys, I about fell out. Now I knew the state took some things more seriously than others, but let me tell you, IF YOU FORGET TO SEND IN YOUR HONEYBEE REGISTRATION THEY WILL HUNT YOU DOWN!

Thankfully I was able to leave the shop and come home and pay my debt to the state.

By the way, the total fee to register my beehives, after the late fee was assessed......... $4.60

Yes, FOUR DOLLARS AND SIXTY CENTS! LOL

The young man that is the bee inspector was really nice and I wasn't really the target of a man hunt, he said they tried to get all their paperwork in order before spring bee season gets fully underway.
    The more I learn about bees, the less I know.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Pay your state bee fees! I was a fugitive from justice

Round these parts its $10 for the permit or $10 for the penalty.
    Zone 8a - Elev.~ 1,100 ft. Sandy, OR.
    Apiculture: A culmination of animal husbandry and alchemy.

In Tennessee, apiary registration carries no fee, and you can fill out the form online.
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Were at 10.00 here in PA , I can just imagine how they would hunt us down , were talking big money here !!!!!!!!!!!

That makes my day , thanks for the report , this is serious stuff were dealing with !!!!

Here in Washington,my $10 fee gets me a notification if there is AFB in the area and puts my apiary on the map so that I'll be notified of spraying .. supposedly.
    (And I'm only presuming thqt I'll get the AFB notification.)

As thre are no ag areas in forage range and a notice that there's AFB around isn't going to stop it from coming, I think I'll pass on sending that money that the state demands payment of.
    It's not a tax I choose to pay.

If I get fined and we'll see if the Washington State Courts enforce the fine or not, since the state constitution requires taxes be approved by a vote of the people or their elected representatives.

And yes, a fee demanded by the state and enforced by penalty is, by definition, a tax.

One of my Club members wrote this recently:

"A slave asks if its legal or illegal,
    A free man asks whether its right or wrong."

lance corporal Larry Hough
    ...We don't see things as they are, we see things as WE are...

Here in WV we fill out an apiary registration for each yard we have, but there's NO fees involved. They do it more for the hive count I think than anything else as it's due by Jan 1st each year. Which to me is only giving false information as they are getting numbers going into winter, not what is alive coming out of winter. Just another way the system is messed up.
    Thomas Bartram

Quote Originally Posted by Lburou View Post
    One of my Club members wrote this recently:

"A slave asks if its legal or illegal,
    A free man asks whether its right or wrong."

lance corporal Larry Hough
    Right on, Brother.

We didn't serve the country to be made slaves of the government.

i'm a newbee, getting pkgs this wkend. i will owe the state 5 whole dollars! form is filled out & waiting to be mailed. LOL

Here in SF, we believe in limited government intrusion into our lives and our apiaries. We don't even fill out a form! We're more conservative than you think!
    My opinions are based on whatever OD Frank says because he thinks he knows everything!

In NY we pay nothing, and we get nothing from the state.

enj.

Quote Originally Posted by krista45036 View Post
    i'm a newbee, getting pkgs this wkend. i will owe the state 5 whole dollars! form is filled out & waiting to be mailed. LOL
    Go, do it! OH I believe has abolished the death penalty but our friend in AL could have ended up on the chair.
    from the Bee House -http://ecologicalsolutions.com.au/bees/?page_id=8
    40 years - +/- 20 H - TF - Subtropical

Ohio is $5.00 per yard. With our inspector. You Can get 35 years of wisdom. Now if he would give me a head up that he is stopping by.
    David

There is no registration of bees in Virginia, except if you take state funds to start your hives. No beekeeping taxes either. We all know that the next step after registration is confiscation. They can have my hive tool after they pry it from my cold, dead hands!
    Another Evil Beekeeping Truth: treatment-free beekeeping makes great sense so long as they're not your bees.

When I started here in Michigan, I went thru the motions of trying to figure out what I needed to do to register, finally got in contact with a guy (county l ag rep as I remember), more or less told me "your subject to local regulations, good luck". I thought alrighty then, by the blessing of Michigan, go I.

I sent an email to our state bee inspector and it took her 9 months to reply. I asked her what took so long and she said she is just that busy. I asked how the hives she was inspecting looked and she told me she did have much time for inspecting hives because she had so much paperwork. At the time she was only inspecting hive within a 25 mile radius of her office.
    Why would I want to donate money to this kind of bureaucratic bull crap?

I sent an email to our state bee inspector and it took her 9 months to reply. I asked her what took so long and she said she is just that busy. I asked how the hives she was inspecting looked and she told me she did have much time for inspecting hives because she had so much paperwork. At the time she was only inspecting hive within a 25 mile radius of her office.

Quote Originally Posted by rwlaw View Post
    When I started here in Michigan, I went thru the motions of trying to figure out what I needed to do to register, finally got in contact with a guy (county l ag rep as I remember), more or less told me "your subject to local regulations, good luck". I thought alrighty then, by the blessing of Michigan, go I.
    SHHHHHH! rwlaw. Don't let Snyder's hand picked group or cronies hear about this. They are already pushing to get backyard chickens to be registered and pay fees. Bees will be next.

I don't mind paying a small fee that gives me access to an on the call apiarist. I have never taken any honeybees to our state diagnostic lab, but I have taken other livestock and there is no fee for necropsy and testing.

That's worth my little tax IMO. How many other taxes do you pay that you actually know what they are paying for with the money?
    The more I learn about bees, the less I know.

Quote Originally Posted by ilikebs View Post
    Maybe I haven't been involved as long as you, but she always responds to my emails within a day, speaks at bee club meetings, and makes frequent reports.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast