Establishing Nucs in the Same Yard

Default Establishing Nucs in the Same Yard

Queens arrive tomorrow and I want to make nucleus colonies with them and keep them in the same apiary to the hives that I take the frames and bees from to make them up.

What are my best options for success?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Establishing Nucs in the Same Yard

If you are entering your winter down there it might be advisable to make up some robbing screens.

Shake in extra bees to account for drift back to the original hive.

Choose brood frames with capped brood. The newly emerging workers should add quickly to your population and will not be included to return to the old hive.
    Donny

Quote Originally Posted by 22DPac View Post
    Choose brood frames with capped brood. The newly emerging workers should add quickly to your population and will not be included to return to the old hive.
    That is going to cause problems with making nucs in the same yard as parent colony. Chose brood frames with UNCAPPED brood- that will ensure the nurse bees stay with the nuc in the same yard. You can mix uncapped and capped brood- but you will lose forager bees back to the Mother colony hence the advice to shake bees in, and the advice to use brood frames with uncapped brood to keep bees in the nuc.
    karla

This is what I do:
    1) In the donor hive, pull out the frames you want to put in nuc: brood (capped & uncapped), honey & pollen. Replace with new frames.
    2) Take the frames you pulled and shake off all bees back into the donor hive.
    3) Put a queen excluder on top of the donor hive, with an empty box on top of that.
    4) Put the frames you just pulled in the empty box, but to top on and leave for an hour or two.
    5) When you come back the brood frames will be covered wtih nurse bees. Take the frames and put them in your nuc.

With this method, there's no need to find the queen in the donor hive. You only have nurse bees so they won't drift back to the original hive.

For convenience I seldom move splits out of the same yard. A someone said, shake some extra nurse bees into the split to compensate for drift. The capped brood is my choice too as they supply 85% of the heat they need anyway in warm weather and the nurse bees covering such frames are not going anywhere anyway. IP's method works well and you don't have to hunt for queens.